Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 8, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #4,396 of 42,765

The Onkyo DAP looks pretty useful if you want an all-in-one solution. Mojo as it is, is pretty fiddly if you want to use it on the move, because you need to juggle with USB cables.
However, I think since you already have a good DAP like NW-ZX2, buying the Onkyo DAP may not necessarily be an "upgrade", unless you care about balanced output or native DSD.

Sound quality aside, buying the Mojo is kind of like how Sony sells PHA-3 amp to go with NW-ZX2.

FYI, I never understood Sony's approach. They make a super expensive, very good sounding DAP like NW-ZX2 with a unique D/A conversion system (S-Master), and then they tell you, "if you want to drive powerful headphones, you will have to plug in PHA-3, which bypasses all the D/A and amp section from ZX2, and replace it with something pretty generic like ESS Sabre and some opamps"... It's bizarre.

I had to sell the ZX2 unfortunately, that's why I'll be using the Mojo with the S5. I also found it strange that Sony produced an under-powered player and pushed the PHA-3, but using easy to drive IEMs, it was fine for me.

By the way, will the quality of the OTG cable have an affect on SQ? Do you have any recommedations for cables please?

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #4,397 of 42,765
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of picking the Mojo up and have a few questions. These have probably been answered before and apologies if they have:

Does it matter what you use for transport; will the sound be the same from all transport devices? I will be using a Samsung S5. Also, as far as I know the S5 doesn't play DSD files. Would I have to get a transport that plays DSD natively in order to work through the Mojo?

Do you have to buy the connecting cable seperately or does it come with this?

I'm coming from a Sony ZX2. Any opinions on whether the Mojo is a step up in SQ and if so, how?

Thanks.

I went from ZX2 to Mojo. I think the Mojo presentation is cleaner and less warm than ZX2. It's a signature I prefer for my IEMs and there's power to spare for more demanding headphones.

It works brilliantly with S5 but you will need software. I recommend UAPP - especially if you're a Tidal user. You get no interference from the phone even when connected to the Internet.

So far as cables are concerned, I use a cheap adapter from Amazon with the cable that came with Mojo. There are other options available and I'm eyeing up the Silver Dragon OTG from Moon Audio.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #4,398 of 42,765
I went from ZX2 to Mojo. I think the Mojo presentation is cleaner and less warm than ZX2. It's a signature I prefer for my IEMs and there's power to spare for more demanding headphones.

It works brilliantly with S5 but you will need software. I recommend UAPP - especially if you're a Tidal user. You get no interference from the phone even when connected to the Internet.

So far as cables are concerned, I use a cheap adapter from Amazon with the cable that came with Mojo. There are other options available and I'm eyeing up the Silver Dragon OTG from Moon Audio.

Thanks Tony. I'm just about to hit the buy button on Amazon :). Will this cable do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K4RZQWQ/ref=pd_luc_rh_mrairec_03_03_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #4,399 of 42,765

The Westone UM-Pro30 has 56 ohms (at 1 kHz), so typical IEMs with lower impedance will have a drop-off in the range of ~1.8 dB at 20 kHz, unfortunately with a distinctive start above 10 kHz already. Provided that your measurings don't suffer from the same errors that have happened to h1f1add1cted according to John Franks.

Yes, well it's just load sensing, so there's no reason to say one kind of amp performs better than the other. Having the output clamped to constant voltage is not necessarily the best solution anyway.
It's just that unless Chord gives us some insight to how the headphone amp works, I'm sure a lot of people would go frantic that it's not a ruler flat response. I think the same thing happened to Hugo a while ago, and yet nobody's complaining that it's a bad sounding headphone amp...

I did my tests again, it's no measuring error. I did the tests with RMAA and Audacity as usual I did this kind of tests like all the years before.

The impedance of the load has zero impact (see my examples),  I always have a ruler flat frequency, the only impact has the amount of drivers see below:

Again the small bass roll off is not from Mojo it's the sound card itself. The only truth is the slight treble roll off of which only happens with multi driver IEM, the impedance has zero impact like my 14 ohms IEM still straight flat line.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #4,400 of 42,765
-1.5dB at 20 kHz is effectively inaudible with music IMO, but it is interesting all the same. 

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #4,401 of 42,765

I did my tests again, it's no measuring error. I did the tests with RMAA and Audacity as usual I did this kind of tests like all the years before.

The impedance of the load has zero impact (see my examples),  I always have a ruler flat frequency, the only impact has the amount of drivers see below:

Again the small bass roll off is not from Mojo it's the sound card itself. The only truth is the slight treble roll off of which only happens with multi driver IEM, the impedance has zero impact like my 14 ohms IEM still straight flat line.

Really interesting. I don't hear any roll off with my 11ohm FLC8.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #4,402 of 42,765

Really interesting. I don't hear any roll off with my 11ohm FLC8.

Not all multiple driver IEM have the same impedance curve etc. so it will not always the same. But with multiple driver IEMs this can happen, like my example. You can measure them with RMAA / Audacity is pretty easy you only need a Windows machine with a sound card which has a line-in or a microphone input an a Y split and a mini to mini cable.

-1.5dB at 20 kHz is effectively inaudible with music IMO, but it is interesting all the same. 

Yes I know, I really love the sound of the Mojo, I only measure all my portable devices for personal interest. To me the small treble roll off is not a big number sure, but I don't get it why this happens with this crazy awesome low 0.075 ohms output impedance from Mojo. This "normally" only happens with source which provide over 1 ohms output impedance with multiple driver IEM.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #4,403 of 42,765

Thanks Tony. I'm just about to hit the buy button on Amazon :). Will this cable do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K4RZQWQ/ref=pd_luc_rh_mrairec_03_03_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hi, ive also just ordered the mojo and run an S5. 

i found this on ebay, or was recommended it by another member, can't remember, things move so fast on here, lol!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301228419677?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ill hopefully get the mojo tomorrow and this during the week also, ill let you know how i get on! Your item selected should work also, I have one similar but not right angled and it works fine with my NANO IDSD IFI unit, and also the S5 plays the DSD files just fine using USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO software.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #4,405 of 42,765
  Hi, ive also just ordered the mojo and run an S5. 

i found this on ebay, or was recommended it by another member, can't remember, things move so fast on here, lol!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301228419677?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ill hopefully get the mojo tomorrow and this during the week also, ill let you know how i get on! Your item selected should work also, I have one similar but not right angled and it works fine with my NANO IDSD IFI unit, and also the S5 plays the DSD files just fine using USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO software.

Yes, I think that one will do the trick.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #4,406 of 42,765

The so-called "impedance" value of IEM is just a nominal value that is not constant across all frequencies and don't mean much above 10kHz.
A 50 ohm impedance IEM could have 2 ohm response at 5kHz, etc.
If you look at graphs on Innerfidelity etc, some IEMs effectively act as a short or open at higher frequencies based on the driver and crossover configurations.

The main point here is that Mojo is behaving differently to other common high powered headphone amps, and it would be good to get some insight from Chord about why this might be the case. If the testing method is to be blamed or whatever, it's still showing differences between Mojo and other amps nonetheless.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #4,407 of 42,765
Wonderful finish and really form fitting. Funny enough I spotted a few mono right angle connectors for my X5 so that might be the way to go for me but got to say you did a great job. Enjoy your stack! :wink_face:

Thanks musicheaven.

I decided to cannibalize the stereo plug from an existing cable as I like these Neutrik connectors :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #4,408 of 42,765

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

No worries. No sure you may be aware or have been told, but the S5 with lollipop should play even without the USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO app, it does for me, eg, tidal, or player pro, etc. But i think the USB Player specifically bypasses the android 48khz limitation and allows native playing of DSD and HD Flacs, which is nice :)

Makes the phone a quite nice transport. Have yet to assess the interference level pple are mentioning when the units are close together and phone not in flight mode. Sort of defeats the phone idea, lol; having to have it in flight mode.  Im due for an upgrade in Jan, may well keep the S5 just as a player.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #4,409 of 42,765
Spent a few hours last night comparing the following;

iPad Air - CCK - Mojo supplied cable

vs

LG G4 - Lindy OTG cable (amazon about £6)

Using Tidal HIFI streaming FLAC

So in theory there shouldn't be any difference, in practice the LG blew away the iPad !!!

One point to note, Mojo when connected to the G4 displays the blue 192khz light, has from day 1 regardless of whether using the built in LG music app, Onkyo HF, Tidal etc. Surely the phone is not upsampling to 192 ? I thought a lot of Android phones upsample to 48 but not 192 ???

G4 was more detailed, more open, made the iPad sound rather flat in comparison so the question in my mind is;

Is the G4 doing / adding something and the iPad outputting a "pure" signal or is the CCK having a detrimental effect ?

Final point, the iPad generates a LOT of interference if you are for example browsing using Safari whilst listening, scrolling the page introduces lot's of unwanted cracks and pops.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #4,410 of 42,765
  Here are some pictures that I found that show the module that Chord are making for the Mojo.  I think there will be three version, wifi, bluetooth and SD card.  Look like it will also support/hide the CCK cable.  Looks like the USB connectors hols it in place.

I had to sell the ZX2 unfortunately, that's why I'll be using the Mojo with the S5. I also found it strange that Sony produced an under-powered player and pushed the PHA-3, but using easy to drive IEMs, it was fine for me.

By the way, will the quality of the OTG cable have an affect on SQ? Do you have any recommedations for cables please?

There was an early post that had some pictures that Chord might be developing attachments to make life easier for Android and iPhone users, so that they don't have to put up with messy OTG cables. Not sure if it's coming out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back