Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #40,426 of 42,765
In that case, you can try removing the battery altogether and plugging in Mojo. It will run like that and may work just fine as an always powered, always on dac. Only issue is no remote control volume.

Oh really? I thought somebody said that it wouldn't work without the battery. I run mine off the PC USB power all the time. If it doesn't need the battery that would be great, thank you I will ask Chord.

DIdn't understand what you meant about no remote control volume. And in my specific setup I have it set to line out since it goes into my mini stereo or a headphone amp.

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #40,427 of 42,765
Been hearing a lot of things about battery issues, wondering if the way i’m using the mojo is detrimental to the battery life. I’m using it as a desktop dac so the battery is usually at full charge, I only plug the charger in when it’s in use and when it’s not in use there’s nothing plugged into it. I heard the problems with the battery mainly arise when leaving it plugged into power 24/7, so i’m hoping this is a good workaround. Anyone have any thoughts?

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #40,429 of 42,765
The Mojo gets plenty hot when in use and not charging. It gets even warmer when charging + playing at the same and only makes things worst for the battery.
I suggest doing one or the other but not both.

I use mine stationary with a PC. It is always charging when running. In the past three years it was running off a USB phone charger all the time. Battery is nearly dead after 4 years. I'm not sure how long the battery should be expected to last but from my use I think it's fine to charge and play and I think the Chord site says not to worry about the heat. I'm not sure why, I agree heat kills electronics, but I won't try to outsmart the guys who made it.

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #40,430 of 42,765
Oh really? I thought somebody said that it wouldn't work without the battery. I run mine off the PC USB power all the time. If it doesn't need the battery that would be great, thank you I will ask Chord.

DIdn't understand what you meant about no remote control volume. And in my specific setup I have it set to line out since it goes into my mini stereo or a headphone amp.

Rob Watts (the designer of Mojo) indicated it should be fine without the battery, especially if used as a fixed output DAC and not trying to drive headphones: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2494#post-14512464

My point about volume was depending on your use case, but you don’t need that so you should be good to go!

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #40,431 of 42,765
If you buy a replacement battery through your Chord retailer, please is it easy to fit?

The original battery is stuck in place, plus I think it's thermally bonded to the case. I presume replacement batteries come with all the parts to make an easy replacement. Thermal sticky pad included.

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #40,432 of 42,765
If you buy a replacement battery through your Chord retailer, please is it easy to fit?

The original battery is stuck in place, plus I think it's thermally bonded to the case. I presume replacement batteries come with all the parts to make an easy replacement. Thermal sticky pad included.

Very easy to replace yourself. The new battery comes with a strip of double-sided tape (I’m pretty sure, but it’s been over a year since I did it). The hardest thing is the 8 tiny hex screws.

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #40,433 of 42,765
Very easy to replace yourself. The new battery comes with a strip of double-sided tape (I’m pretty sure, but it’s been over a year since I did it). The hardest thing is the 8 tiny hex screws.

It would be nice if @Rob Watts could chime in and give us some details on the cost of the battery and the process to replace it. Quite a fantastic little device but the battery thing is annoying when it is time for a new one.

Aug 2, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #40,434 of 42,765
It would be nice if @Rob Watts could chime in and give us some details on the cost of the battery and the process to replace it. Quite a fantastic little device but the battery thing is annoying when it is time for a new one.

I don’t think Rob sets the prices, but when I did it a year ago (battery life consistently under 5 hours, and Mojo was 3.5 yrs old and getting daily use), it was $75 US shipped. Not unreasonable. And, as I said, easy to replace if you have a hex set with multiple keys.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #40,435 of 42,765
Are there any device that act like a chord poly for mojo? That can be controlled via smartphone. Want that function on poly but the price is very high for me. Thanks

Something like the HiBy R3 Pro would do what you want - https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3-pro
It can stream music from WiFi, or from a µSD card (up to 2TB).
It has digital output, using USB, or SPDIF to a 3.5mm plug (by using a special USB-C cable).
It has single-ended 3.5mm power & line output, and balanced 2.5mm power output.
It can be controlled using HiBy Link (over BT), which runs on Android or iOS.

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #40,436 of 42,765
Something like the HiBy R3 Pro would do what you want - https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3-pro
It can stream music from WiFi, or from a µSD card (up to 2TB).
It has digital output, using USB, or SPDIF to a 3.5mm plug (by using a special USB-C cable).
It has single-ended 3.5mm power & line output, and balanced 2.5mm power output.
It can be controlled using HiBy Link (over BT), which runs on Android or iOS.
Ah this is what I need. But it's a little bit expensive for just a receiver+player.
Is shanling m0 / fiio m6 can do the same?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #40,437 of 42,765
Ah this is what I need. But it's a little bit expensive for just a receiver+player.
Is shanling m0 / fiio m6 can do the same?

I don't know about the FiiO M6.
The Shanling M0 can output digital music via USB from its µSD card - but it doesn't have WiFi for streaming, or SPDIF output.
It can be controlled by the Shanling Music app, but it's not as mature / refined as the HiBy app.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #40,440 of 42,765
Are there any device that act like a chord poly for mojo? That can be controlled via smartphone. Want that function on poly but the price is very high for me. Thanks
If you are looking for simple portable transport and can live without streaming, dual sd card slots and mobile app to control it take a look at xDuoo X10T II Turntable. It also has internal EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back