Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 1, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #40,021 of 42,765
The Mojo is always sampling many data samples simultaneously, some in advance, some behind.
If you move the track position using the slider bar, then the advance and behind samples will no longer 'align', so it doesn't surprise me that the result can be a 'click'.
@Rob Watts is the best person to explain this to you.
That 0.5 second gap always happens when I play a new track, when nothing else is played previously before. If I rewind the track to the very start after that 0.5 second gap, it plays it normally. However, with ASIO, that 0.5 second gap also remains after I rewind the track to the very start.

This happens on any app and any OS, be it foobar ASIO, YouTube, soundcloud, Groove Music, on the iPad, on the SmartTV etc. I guess there's no way to turn that off, especially on ASIO?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #40,022 of 42,765
For the people that removed their battery and are using it that way, have you noticed any change in SQ with the battery out?

In case you haven't read above from a week or two ago. I removed the battery and what happens is then a coil whine starts when you run the unit as a desktop amp. Apparently many others (or almost everyone?) got this when disconnecting the battery. At least no one chimed in to say that their unit doesn't do this once the battery is disconnected. It is loud, annoying... unusable without a battery. Not sure what the people who advised on removing the battery were thinking. Maybe not all units do this? One answer I got was that it gets a little lower in volume under charge and so it is tolerable. Still... I can't describe how annoying a sound it is.

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #40,023 of 42,765
I think the point is moot, but here is a post from Rob on the subject, and there may be other posts if you search:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1753#post-13030578

Thank you so much for pointing me to that thread! A lot of the technicalities discussed is beyond my level of understanding, however it was good to be reminded that there is digital attenuation taking place when reducing the output level and whether or not it is better/worst than analog attenuation, i think it is reasonable to conclude that no attenuation (3V output) is better, at least in theory.
I am expecting the Mojo to arrive in 48 hours and will use the line out (full output) to feed the ALO CDM. Fingers crossed it is actually a noticeable improvement over the AK 120ll analog out which i think is terrific in its own right!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #40,024 of 42,765
Another question:

Most full size DACs use a standard 2V output, some more substantial designs use 2.5V, many of which use significant power supply designs and multiple gain stages to arrive at that 2V. How is it then that such a tiny, battery-powered device can output 3V, especially given that (as i understand) it employs only one (1) gain stage after the DAC for the purpose of I/V conversion? That single gain stage seems HUGE.
Or perhaps the pulse array method of D/A conversion generates more gain than a conventional chipset?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #40,025 of 42,765
For the people that removed their battery and are using it that way, have you noticed any change in SQ with the battery out?
I have never tried it so I am trying to maintain an impartial viewpoint.
  1. the original Mojo was not designed with this use case in mind
  2. nevertheless most posters who have tried it seem happy

Apr 1, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #40,026 of 42,765
That 0.5 second gap always happens when I play a new track, when nothing else is played previously before. If I rewind the track to the very start after that 0.5 second gap, it plays it normally. However, with ASIO, that 0.5 second gap also remains after I rewind the track to the very start.

This happens on any app and any OS, be it foobar ASIO, YouTube, soundcloud, Groove Music, on the iPad, on the SmartTV etc. I guess there's no way to turn that off, especially on ASIO?
Check post #3, because this features in the FAQ. If those suggestions do not solve your issues, then ask us again? :relaxed:

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #40,027 of 42,765
In case you haven't read above from a week or two ago. I removed the battery and what happens is then a coil whine starts when you run the unit as a desktop amp. Apparently many others (or almost everyone?) got this when disconnecting the battery. At least no one chimed in to say that their unit doesn't do this once the battery is disconnected. It is loud, annoying... unusable without a battery. Not sure what the people who advised on removing the battery were thinking. Maybe not all units do this? One answer I got was that it gets a little lower in volume under charge and so it is tolerable. Still... I can't describe how annoying a sound it is.

There is this option:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2581#post-14989857

Apr 2, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #40,028 of 42,765

So in order to run the Mojo without a battery AND avoid the annoying coil whine, one has to outfit it with a Hugo TT2 capacitor? Thanks for the link, good to hear that there are solutions. But I think this goes beyond what most are willing to do, try.

Can some of the many people who are happy running it without a battery tell us how they do it, if there are simpler ways? Thanks.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #40,029 of 42,765
Can some of the many people who are happy running it without a battery tell us how they do it, if there are simpler ways? Thanks.

Two observations:

1) I would like to hear from someone that they disconnected the battery and the Mojo runs without coil whine without further, complex interventions, additions, modifications. Otherwise why is this thing recommended as a solution for running it as a desktop unit?

2) My battery is back in and I am running the Mojo continously charged. No problem. I will say that the build quality is amazing and opening it, then closing it was a pleasure. Now, according to Rob Watts, once the battery is full, it should not continue to charge when running the unit as a desktop amp. The power coming from the USB cable should power the current use and the battery charge should stop. This is not what I am getting. I fully, fully charged the battery with the unit off. I then started running it as a desktop amp with power from my USB port (good cable, good USB port, etc.). And the charging light? Off for 15 minutes, then back on. And the unit is hot, suggesting the battery is now being charged as the unit runs, despite it being connected to the USB power. As I am writing this, the nearly fully charged buzzing has started. Therefore I am delaying my posting. ... And here I am, 45 min later and the buzzing is still there. When the unit is off and charging, this final charge buzzing goes on for max 10 minutes and I understand it. The fact that now it has been going on for 45 min suggests to me that the unit is drawing some battery power despite being connected to the perfectly working USB charge port.

My current conclusion: the Mojo does not work as a desktop unit. It appears to have been designed to run as a battery powered unit and that is it.

I do like the Mojo. But I can only laugh thinking that somewhere in this thread it was stated that there is no need for a Mojo 2, that Rob Watts said the Mojo is perfect as it is.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #40,030 of 42,765
Two observations:

1) I would like to hear from someone that they disconnected the battery and the Mojo runs without coil whine without further, complex interventions, additions, modifications. Otherwise why is this thing recommended as a solution for running it as a desktop unit?

2) My battery is back in and I am running the Mojo continously charged. No problem. I will say that the build quality is amazing and opening it, then closing it was a pleasure. Now, according to Rob Watts, once the battery is full, it should not continue to charge when running the unit as a desktop amp. The power coming from the USB cable should power the current use and the battery charge should stop. This is not what I am getting. I fully, fully charged the battery with the unit off. I then started running it as a desktop amp with power from my USB port (good cable, good USB port, etc.). And the charging light? Off for 15 minutes, then back on. And the unit is hot, suggesting the battery is now being charged as the unit runs, despite it being connected to the USB power. As I am writing this, the nearly fully charged buzzing has started. Therefore I am delaying my posting. ... And here I am, 45 min later and the buzzing is still there. When the unit is off and charging, this final charge buzzing goes on for max 10 minutes and I understand it. The fact that now it has been going on for 45 min suggests to me that the unit is drawing some battery power despite being connected to the perfectly working USB charge port.

My current conclusion: the Mojo does not work as a desktop unit. It appears to have been designed to run as a battery powered unit and that is it.

I do like the Mojo. But I can only laugh thinking that somewhere in this thread it was stated that there is no need for a Mojo 2, that Rob Watts said the Mojo is perfect as it is.

I've been using mine as a desktop solution, powered via USB every day for the past fortnight. I just don't get any noise from it. Today the battery ran out (forgot to turn it on at the wall), so it's been playing/charging from flat (why I took it out of the case).
Perhaps others have the same issue and can comment, or Chord could offer an opinion?

Attachments

• MojoPoly.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #40,031 of 42,765
I've been using mine as a desktop solution, powered via USB every day for the past fortnight. I just don't get any noise from it. Today the battery ran out (forgot to turn it on at the wall), so it's been playing/charging from flat (why I took it out of the case).
Perhaps others have the same issue and can comment, or Chord could offer an opinion?

Sorry, I wasn't clear regarding the two scenarios for desktop use:

Scenario 1 - battery disconnected - permanent annoying coil whine noise - issue here is the noise.
Scenario 2 - battery connected - no noise, but battery keeps being discharged while unit is in use and then recharged; noise only when near to full charge - issue in this scenario is not the noise, but the constant use of the battery.

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #40,033 of 42,765
I did what another poster suggested - got a mains timer adapter for about 6 pounds and set it to charge Mojo overnight. Battery is then fully charged for daytime use.

Do you always make sure the battery is completely drained before charging it in order to preserve its lifespan?

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #40,034 of 42,765
Do you always make sure the battery is completely drained before charging it in order to preserve its lifespan?
This method was valid for NiCd and NiMh batteries. For LiPo batteries the best would be to keep them between 20...80% charge. Also don‘t react well to being stored at full charge. Can lead to very quick death. (had that with a DAP once)
If you follow that they will live for a long time. My Mojo has seen 2 years of intense use and is still going strong.

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #40,035 of 42,765
This method was valid for NiCd and NiMh batteries. For LiPo batteries the best would be to keep them between 20...80% charge. Also don‘t react well to being stored at full charge. Can lead to very quick death. (had that with a DAP once)
If you follow that they will live for a long time. My Mojo has seen 2 years of intense use and is still going strong.
Yes, the user experience after several years, is that try and focus on keeping Mojo batteries in the range 20...80% charge.
We are all human, so sometimes we accidentally let our Mojo discharge completely, but if this happens occasionally it is not a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back