1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. Soundizer
    If your source music is only upto 96kHz / 24bit, is there any benefit of using USB instead of Optical.

My iMac has optical out and my music is not more than 96kHz 24bit. So surely Optical is better and less noisy than USB in this scenario?

2. flyte3333
    Optical is better because it is 100% immune to all mains power related issues (ground currents / leakage currents / RF).

And jitter is a non-issue with Rob's DACs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    GreenBow and Soundizer like this.
  3. Soundizer
    oh wow. Thank you. I thought it was just me thinking Optical sounds cleaner.

i did not realise Rob also stated it.
    May I ask which post or page that is on?

nice one.

flyte3333 likes this.
  4. flyte3333
    I'm pretty sure he's mentioned it on every Chord DAC thread but that particular post was on the Dave thread.

See here: Post #9719

Exactly the same applies to Mojo though.

5. Soundizer
    i was actually going to upgrade my 2012 iMac Computer, but glad I have not as 2017 and newer iMacs don’t have optical output anymore. thanks again.

flyte3333 likes this.
  6. flyte3333
    I've mentioned on Dave, Hugo2 and Mojo threads before but optical is the most dangerous input for me...

It's the most fatigue free listening over long listening periods (for me) and this makes me want to turn the volume louder...

7. flyte3333
    My newer Mac doesn't have optical output.

But I bought this miniDSP USB-to-optical converter which has been rock solid:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

So I wouldn't let that hold you back from upgrading your Mac in future.

Totoxio and Soundizer like this.
  8. Soundizer
    Ok. I will check if it’s available in UK. I probably will upgrade to 2019 iMAC post any October Apple announcement.

flyte3333 likes this.
  9. GreenBow
    Great post. You win Head Fi for today.

flyte3333 likes this.
  10. dgozalie
    Alright...

my question now how come some optical cable cannot play up to 24/192 ? most of them only up to 24/96... so it is the quality of the cable ? and i though all cable just made of clear plastic... how to tell which cable can guarantee go up to 24/192 ?

11. Totoxio
    To be honest, I think the benefits of going optical are much more noticeable than any increase of bit depth and bit rate over Redbook.

BTW, I use C2G brand optical cable and never had a problem to reach 24/192. I just keep it short (1.5 feet or 50 cm) and never touch the tips.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  12. CaptainFantastic
    I just received my Chord Mojo and I would like to start using it with my Samsung Galaxy S9. I have a micro-USB (Mojo side) to USB-C (S9) cable and I have also tried using the S9 USB OTG adapter that comes with the phone. However, the music just comes out of the phone speakers. It appears that the phone is not sending audio through the USB. Is this a known issue with Android phones or is it just Android phones that still have headphone jacks? What are my options for making the Mojo work with my phone?

Apologies if this was already answered in the previous 2621 pages. I tried a few searches and could not find the answer for the S9. The S8 issue discussed elsewhere seems to be different.

Thank you.

13. dontfeedphils
    Lots of different options for software on Android to do what you're looking for. My favorite happens to be UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). It bypasses the internal re-sampling that Android inherently does and sends bit-perfect data out to your DAC.

14. Devodonaldson
    I know this may sound juvenile, but makes sure you are plugging into the correct micro slot o the mojo. I've used the mojo with about 10 different Android phones including s8 and j3. External DACs do work with the S9

15. CaptainFantastic
    Yes, I am plugging into the right slot for sure. It sounds like I need an app like UAPP? Or does your Samsung send audio through the USB without any special app?