Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 29, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #38,852 of 42,765
Yes, I've had this same exact problem. If you move the Mojo up and down, the bass and lower mids will gain authority again, but for me this was so annoying that I needed another way to fix it.

So I bought a Hifime USB High Speed Isolator, and now the bass is fine. You can also add 2 Jitterbugs, connect your Mojo to the isolator, then the isolator to the Jitterbug, then the Jitterbug to your USB port, and the other Jitterbug on the other USB port closest to it.

This way, you'll get a good amount more bass and vocal authority as compared to using the Mojo directly to USB. Treble also becomes more controlled, and the sound just gets cleaner

Thanks for this. I was looking to return to a Phone+Dac/Amp setup and was contemplating to give Mojo a try.
I guess I can skip this one.

Jun 30, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #38,853 of 42,765
Thanks for this. I was looking to return to a Phone+Dac/Amp setup and was contemplating to give Mojo a try.
I guess I can skip this one.
Despite the cubersome effort, it sounds better than any DAP or phone under 500 bucks. Skip if u want to stick with an inferior sound. But damn thing makes problems like this sometimes. The problem he mentioned is an isolated issue. Mine too have a similar issue now, but it was never there for the 1 year I used it before. Something is broken. The solution he mentioned here is not a solution for everyone, I strongly belive something is broken with his mojo too as I never had a problem with it for long. But that being said, unless ur headphones are not too revealing, u may not "hear " the improvement. But I think its hard to ignore the tightness of this thing. I am coming from a AK70. This was a clear improvement to me.

Jun 30, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #38,854 of 42,765
Despite the cubersome effort, it sounds better than any DAP or phone under 500 bucks. Skip if u want to stick with an inferior sound. But damn thing makes problems like this sometimes. The problem he mentioned is an isolated issue. Mine too have a similar issue now, but it was never there for the 1 year I used it before. Something is broken. The solution he mentioned here is not a solution for everyone, I strongly belive something is broken with his mojo too as I never had a problem with it for long. But that being said, unless ur headphones are not too revealing, u may not "hear " the improvement. But I think its hard to ignore the tightness of this thing. I am coming from a AK70. This was a clear improvement to me.

I tried a demo set at a store just now and listened for over an hour. Tested songs of various quality from apple lossless to mp3s.
The unit performed very well - I can even connect using a Lightning-to-micro USB cable without the Apple CCK.
Coming from an iBasso DX220 with host of problems e.g high heat, OS bugs, laggy GUI performance, battery drain, playlist compatibility issues - I'm seriously considering going back to phone setup, plus I won't need to manage an SD card as well.

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #38,855 of 42,765
I tried a demo set at a store just now and listened for over an hour. Tested songs of various quality from apple lossless to mp3s.
The unit performed very well - I can even connect using a Lightning-to-micro USB cable without the Apple CCK.
Coming from an iBasso DX220 with host of problems e.g high heat, OS bugs, laggy GUI performance, battery drain, playlist compatibility issues - I'm seriously considering going back to phone setup, plus I won't need to manage an SD card as well.

If you are not confident about the mojo, use it while it's warranty last and sell it off. Ideal backpack setup can be cayin n3-coaxial- mojo with hiby link. Use phone to change songs and so on while this bundle stays in a backpack. Or like me shanling g m0 - usb - mojo for lossy stuff. I am yet to get my clip for m0. My plan is to keep the mojo in my pocket while walking around and clip the m0 to the pocket itself. So to change the song I just have to click on the button. Wish m0 had 3 buttons.

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #38,856 of 42,765
If you are not confident about the mojo, use it while it's warranty last and sell it off. Ideal backpack setup can be cayin n3-coaxial- mojo with hiby link. Use phone to change songs and so on while this bundle stays in a backpack. Or like me shanling g m0 - usb - mojo for lossy stuff. I am yet to get my clip for m0. My plan is to keep the mojo in my pocket while walking around and clip the m0 to the pocket itself. So to change the song I just have to click on the button. Wish m0 had 3 buttons.

I used to carry an iPhone+Oppo HA2 combo for a long time so I don’t really mind the portability concerns.
But speaking about remote controlling with the phone, could I use the Poly to do that?

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #38,857 of 42,765
It happened to me now as well. My Chord Mojo has been working intermittently and it has grown worse and worse. I read about the battery issues they seem to have and I decided to open it up. It literally flew apart as there was tremendous pressure caused by the battery as it appears I too am affected. There is no way I could close it again seen as there is a 8mm gap between the case-halves when the battery is left in between.

ghhyqlL.jpg

RJcqg1p.jpg

I contacted Chord since some people earlier in this thread got replacements sent out to them. All I need is a new battery (I hope, although maybe the circuit board has taken some damage from being under such pressure from the battery.) I was quoted a sum about the cost of buying a used Chord Mojo.

If I were to pay Chord for a new battery, it might not be enough to fix it since the circuit board might be bent from the battery. Additionally, if replacing the battery would fix it, what keeps this from happening again with the new battery?

I think I am better off buying a new used one, although I will probably not buy another Chord. I wish I would have read this thread before I got mine. I am really disappointed in Chords QA and customer support and will definitely end up going with Fiio in the future. Having scanned threads on them, they appear to be far less failure-prone.

Edit: As a new poster to headfi, how do you resize images?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #38,858 of 42,765
It happened to me now as well. My Chord Mojo has been working intermittently and it has grown worse and worse. I read about the battery issues they seem to have and I decided to open it up. It literally flew apart as there was tremendous pressure caused by the battery as it appears I too am affected. There is no way I could close it again seen as there is a 8mm gap between the case-halves when the battery is left in between.

ghhyqlL.jpg

RJcqg1p.jpg

I contacted Chord since some people earlier in this thread got replacements sent out to them. All I need is a new battery (I hope, although maybe the circuit board has taken some damage from being under such pressure from the battery.) I was quoted a sum about the cost of buying a used Chord Mojo.

If I were to pay Chord for a new battery, it might not be enough to fix it since the circuit board might be bent from the battery. Additionally, if replacing the battery would fix it, what keeps this from happening again with the new battery?

I think I am better off buying a new used one, although I will probably not buy another Chord. I wish I would have read this thread before I got mine. I am really disappointed in Chords QA and customer support and will definitely end up going with Fiio in the future. Having scanned threads on them, they appear to be far less failure-prone.

Edit: As a new poster to headfi, how do you resize images?
How long have you had this unit?

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #38,859 of 42,765
How long have you had this unit?

Soon to be 2 years, but I got it from a store that sold it as "previously used", which I think means there is no warranty. I don't think this is a fault that I as an enduser caused, but rather a fault which existed already from the factory. The consequences just appear as time passes, and potentially quite dangerous ones at that, but I would have expected what I thought was a high end brand to have better quality control and offer more than to try earn more money from the issue.

I have pretty much given up on my Mojo at this point. I just wanted to add my name to the list and make other potential buyers more aware.

Edit: Battery says "Mfg date:0915," so I assume the battery was manufactured in september of 2015

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #38,860 of 42,765
Soon to be 2 years, but I got it from a store that sold it as "previously used", which I think means there is no warranty. I don't think this is a fault that I as an enduser caused, but rather a fault which existed already from the factory. The consequences just appear as time passes, and potentially quite dangerous ones at that, but I would have expected what I thought was a high end brand to have better quality control and offer more than to try earn more money from the issue.

I have pretty much given up on my Mojo at this point. I just wanted to add my name to the list and make other potential buyers more aware.

Edit: Battery says "Mfg date:0915," so I assume the battery was manufactured in september of 2015
All products with lithium based batteries - be it a laptop, mobile phone, etc will eventually run into battery degradation / bloating after it's rated charged & discharged cycles, it's inevitable.
For 3-4 years, I'd say you got more than fair use of this unit.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #38,861 of 42,765
All products with lithium based batteries - be it a laptop, mobile phone, etc will eventually run into battery degradation / bloating after it's rated charged & discharged cycles, it's inevitable.
For 3-4 years, I'd say you got more than fair use of this unit.
Yeah I get that, although in my case it was less than 2 years. Does anyone know if batteries sent out by Chord today even have a different manufacturing date? I just didn't expect a battery to cost more than a new unit. I would also expect batterylife to decrease over its lifetime, but not that it would damage other parts or become a hazard.

Does anyone know if one can buy a 7,4V 12,21Wh Li-Po battery from somewhere for less than like 100USD?
Has anyone tried replacing Li-Po with similarly rated Li-ion? I guess the charger will be severely missadapted for a Li-ion which should have different trickle charging, cycling etc, but I wonder if it still wouldn't be safer than the stock solution.

Edit: I have found several batteries with the similar specification for way way less:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-fpv-headset-battery-7-4v-1500mah-3c.html?___store=en_us
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-1000mah-2s-20c-lipo-pack.html
It will mostly be a question of finding the biggest capacity I can fit in there. Original was 1650mAh

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #38,862 of 42,765
Could someone please open their Chord Mojo and measure the battery pre-swelling if you have one? :) I would be very grateful to anyone who would be willing to do this for me. I just measured the battery in mine with a caliper before it struck me how pointless it was, especially the thickness.

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #38,863 of 42,765
Or you could repurpose it as a desktop unit (as it is, in any case, clinically deceased) and get Temple Audio to build a suitable supercap PSU (5V Supercharger)...

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #38,864 of 42,765
Yeah I get that, although in my case it was less than 2 years. Does anyone know if batteries sent out by Chord today even have a different manufacturing date? I just didn't expect a battery to cost more than a new unit. I would also expect batterylife to decrease over its lifetime, but not that it would damage other parts or become a hazard.

Does anyone know if one can buy a 7,4V 12,21Wh Li-Po battery from somewhere for less than like 100USD?
Has anyone tried replacing Li-Po with similarly rated Li-ion? I guess the charger will be severely missadapted for a Li-ion which should have different trickle charging, cycling etc, but I wonder if it still wouldn't be safer than the stock solution.
Ok, it is obvious that you are frustrated and angry about this, but bear with me while i try to provide a more balanced view on things.
  1. You bought your Mojo second hand, so your battery used lifetime is more than 2 years
  2. It has been posted many times on this thread that Best Practice is to not operate Mojo with the battery permanently on charge. Maybe this does not apply to your specific case, but most of the owners who have experienced battery problems, were using their Mojos in desktop mode, both playing music and permanently charging at the same time. Battery issues after being permanently on charge, affects many types of equipment, not only Chord.
  3. If you are using your Mojo solely in desktop mode, it is possible to operate it without the battery. Note that the Mojo was not designed to be operated in this manner, so this is not covered by warranty, but Rob Watts has posted several times that he has now tested this battery-free mode of operation, and can confirm that technically it does work - so this is an option for anyone who has a Mojo that is out of warranty. @damorgue I suggest that you try this option, because it would be a means to identify if you have additional circuit board damage, that complicates the solution to your problems
  4. Chord do supply spare batteries to dealers, so that they can install the new battery for you. A big constraint is that couriers and postal services do not like transporting individual lithium batteries to domestic properties, so usually require tracked and insured shipping. This does bump the cost of a battery up, but even so it should not be north of $100
  5. The price of battery replacement can shoot up if you ask a service centre to do the task - some add $250 without really adding value to a task that can be DIY by an owner in 5 minutes.
  6. A few dealers do advertise cheap battery replacement, or the batteries themselves - so no way should a new battery cost more than the original unit! I will add some links https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-mojo-replacement-battery-service.html

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #38,865 of 42,765
Could someone please open their Chord Mojo and measure the battery pre-swelling if you have one? :) I would be very grateful to anyone who would be willing to do this for me. I just measured the battery in mine with a caliper before it struck me how pointless it was, especially the thickness.
I opened mine up a few weeks ago, and there was no visible battery swelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back