Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #37,651 of 42,765
Getting back to the DAP discussion for a moment...coax and usb was discussed but not optical.

I'm curious, been looking for the cheapest DAP available that has optical output.

I researched this a year ago, and it seemed like the cheapest one was still really expensive, I think it was the Fiio X7? $600+ I think. Wondering if any DAPs with optical output are out that are more cost effective.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #37,654 of 42,765
Getting back to the DAP discussion for a moment...coax and usb was discussed but not optical.

I'm curious, been looking for the cheapest DAP available that has optical output.

I researched this a year ago, and it seemed like the cheapest one was still really expensive, I think it was the Fiio X7? $600+ I think. Wondering if any DAPs with optical output are out that are more cost effective.
Hello, TheBit Opus 1s has optical out and I'm using it with Mojo.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #37,656 of 42,765

I agree with Relic that ‘4’ captures what you are asking.

Hmm, so I won't buy Mojo. I will buy a DAP (Probably A&K SR15 [$700]) instead as a source gear for the following reasons :

- It has a warm/smooth/relaxed sound according to the reviews, and it doesn't fit my musical taste. I love classical music, epic soundtracks and high treble string attacks in them (Hans Zimmer:Time final part !). Mojo might be good for a lot of people but not for me.

- Lack of portability/usage. A smartphone-Mojo-Headphone circuit is much much less portable than a DAP-Headphone circuit. I read you can't turn off Mojo's lights, this sucks because it will draw an unnecessary attention in public transport. It gets very hot (90% of the reviews say that).
And it doesn't support Android natively, you need a USB player app to play your music files and it doesn't support audio played by any application. I also read a lot of nonsense stability issues, such as not playing first 3 seconds of a track or suddenly disconnecting.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #37,657 of 42,765
Hmm, so I won't buy Mojo. I will buy a DAP (Probably A&K SR15 [$700]) instead as a source gear for the following reasons :

- It has a warm/smooth/relaxed sound according to the reviews, and it doesn't fit my musical taste. I love classical music, epic soundtracks and high treble string attacks in them (Hans Zimmer:Time final part !). Mojo might be good for a lot of people but not for me.

- Lack of portability/usage. A smartphone-Mojo-Headphone circuit is much much less portable than a DAP-Headphone circuit. I read you can't turn off Mojo's lights, this sucks because it will draw an unnecessary attention in public transport. It gets very hot (90% of the reviews say that).
And it doesn't support Android natively, you need a USB player app to play your music files and it doesn't support audio played by any application. I also read a lot of nonsense stability issues, such as not playing first 3 seconds of a track or suddenly disconnecting.

Sounds like you’ve already convinced yourself out of buying one, I would suggest you addition one if you can but there is a reason people have been jumping through all these hoops to get the best out of Mojo :wink:

Oh and btw, much of Robs listening tests have been based on Classical Music so it should perform quite well provided your source and transducers are up to the task.

Regarding portability you could always add a Poly to complete the set.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #37,658 of 42,765
I would agree with Relics post that maybe all other DACs brighter than they should be but I’ve heard Mojo and Hugo2 side by side and I find That Hugo is brighter like “regular” DACs and also a lot of people that upgraded from mojo to Hugo or Hugo 2/ Qutest noticed the boost in treble and air.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #37,660 of 42,765

The Mojo lights can be dimmed. It only gets hot when charging and playing at the same time. When charging alone or playing alone, it only gets warm. I think it would support Android natively. (However apps like UAPP are useful for allowing hardware synchronisation. Otherwise the first half second of a track can be cut off, but honestly not always. Not loss of three seconds as you have heard. That may have been worked around on later Mojo models too, as it's been altered on Hugo 2.) It would support any app, as far as I know, and can't work out how the app could affect Mojo.

I think warm smooth relaxed sound is not exactly right. I find the Mojo neutral. Smooth and relaxed does not mean lazy and not detailed enough, with the Mojo. The Mojo is a dynamic performer, and can not be matched sonically by equipment anywhere near the price. The level of detail that it digs up is brilliant. It's fast and articulate, while maintaining a full tonality. ... However the reason it sounds smooth and relaxed is because it handles good levels of detail with ease. The presentation is complete, and it sounds smooth only because it is effortlessly clear. (Not because of lack of resolution, that cheaper or alternative DACs do.)

If you read the What HiFi review of the Mojo, they praise the way it puts everything together as a whole. That's what I am describing. It all works together, meaning high levels of detail, and that's how it appears smooth.

I am not trying to sell you the Mojo. It's just that you seem to have missed the point.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #37,662 of 42,765
Question : is anyone using mojo with the charger plugged permanently as a desktop dac?

Many that have had to replace their batteries. I wouldn’t recommend it because lithium batteries left plugged in 24/7 is very stressful for them.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #37,663 of 42,765
Question : is anyone using mojo with the charger plugged permanently as a desktop dac?

According to a few others here, if you want to use Mojo forpermanent desktop use, you can apparently remove the battery entirely and leave Mojo plugged in all the time and, I presume, on all th time. I intend to do this myself soon.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #37,665 of 42,765

Sounds like you had made your mind up already. So even if it isn’t warm the mojo will now always sound warm to you. We all hear differently and headphones sound different too so there are lots variables. I use the mojo with a dap and a couple of different headphones and it sounds great to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back