Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #37,486 of 42,765
Totally get that argument from a user value point of view. As I understand it, they outsourced both the software development and of course, they CM outsource the hardware (like most manufacturers). Given that, plus the margin they need to make, plus the complexity of a 10 layer board in such a tiny device, I can understand why the price is what it is.

Though, again, from a user value perspective, I'm not sure the value is there.

From my perspective, I would have preferred the Poly to have been designed only for:
- Blutooth
- SD Card
- data micro-usb for pass-through

The WiFi client capability, streaming client for dlna/roon/airlay, and the WiFi AP capability, is not something that holds a lot of value for me. The WiFi functions I use only because a pass-through data port is not available. If Chord didn't add these features to the Poly, I think it would have been considerably cheaper.

Having said that, for the Hugo 2, the 2Go having these features that I think are unnecessary for the Poly, will be a good thing. The main reason I think that is because the Mojo, to me, is a portable solution, and the SD Card is really all that's necessary, plus the data pass-through for any streaming music. But the Hugo 2 is a transportable unit, which is ideal for me to take to different parts of my home, not really outside. So, for the Hugo 2/2Go, WiFi in my home becomes a bigger motivation, and therefore WiFi client/AP and streaming client would be more valuable to me.

If I recall correct, initially they were going to produce a range of modules for the Mojo. The first they talked about making was a Bluetooth module. Then they went silent, and only said they were working hard, and along came Poly. Badaahh surprise!

(I hoped and requested that they make an SD-card player only module, as one of modules. Hoping clearly to save massive bucks. That was before Poly was announced.) Funny thing is, even the Poly is kind of worth it, just to use the SD-card player. When you factor in sound quality. .. I still ended up with a DAP though.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #37,487 of 42,765
Just because you haven't experienced it yet doesn't mean it isn't true or doesn't happen.

So silver usb cable sounds more resolving while copper usb cable sounds warm? :grin::grin::grin:

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #37,489 of 42,765
Does anyone have a problem where the Mojo holographic sound is an exception rather than the rule?
I've tried bit perfect FLAC playback via a Win10 Vaio laptop using Foobar ASIO/KS/WASAPI and an Android MOTO G4 using UAPP/Onkyo HF player.
I've also tried using a iFi iSilencer3.0 and clip-on ferrite beads.

Any suggestions from the gurus?

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #37,490 of 42,765
Does anyone have a problem where the Mojo holographic sound is an exception rather than the rule?
I've tried bit perfect FLAC playback via a Win10 Vaio laptop using Foobar ASIO/KS/WASAPI and an Android MOTO G4 using UAPP/Onkyo HF player.
I've also tried using a iFi iSilencer3.0 and clip-on ferrite beads.

Any suggestions from the gurus?

I'm not a guru by any means, but the music quality I get from the Mojo depends most of all on the recording, much more than the file format or resolution.

I find that I absolutely love well recorded live music, the sound stage is so real and the SQ so good that I often believe there are people around me.
On the other hand music that has been mixed in the studio doesn't seem to have that holographic quality, and also some live music, maybe from processing or bad recording.

And yes, those holographic recordings are more the exception than the rule. Still, Mojo makes every music better to my ears, I simply can enjoy more and longer.

Oct 17, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #37,491 of 42,765
I'm not a guru by any means, but the music quality I get from the Mojo depends most of all on the recording, much more than the file format or resolution.

I find that I absolutely love well recorded live music, the sound stage is so real and the SQ so good that I often believe there are people around me.
On the other hand music that has been mixed in the studio doesn't seem to have that holographic quality, and also some live music, maybe from processing or bad recording.

And yes, those holographic recordings are more the exception than the rule. Still, Mojo makes every music better to my ears, I simply can enjoy more and longer.

@surfgeorge: I completely agree with your comments above. The issue I have is that the holographic sounding tracks don't always sound holographic.

Oct 17, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #37,492 of 42,765
@surfgeorge: I completely agree with your comments above. The issue I have is that the holographic sounding tracks don't always sound holographic.
Sounds like variation in your mood and perception rather than hardware.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #37,493 of 42,765
Sounds like variation in your mood and perception rather than hardware.

Could be my sleep deprived mind :). Just wanted to check whether there could be any other tech factors that affect depth perception that I have not considered.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #37,494 of 42,765
Could be my sleep deprived mind :). Just wanted to check whether there could be any other tech factors that affect depth perception that I have not considered.
Fair play. I just think that psychoacoustics play a huge part in this hobby. I find that quite fascinating. Frustrating sometimes as well! Evaluating equipment while allowing for all the factors other than really that come into play is extremely difficult IME.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #37,498 of 42,765
Anyone else using 300+ ohm headphones with the Mojo, that find the first 3.5mm output under the light balls less refined, than the one right to it?

Yes the socket nearer the lights has a "Brighter" sound. If you want a "Darker" sound use the socket furthest away from the lights.

The same effect also makes the Black Hugo2 sound better than the Silver one.

:):):):):):):)

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #37,499 of 42,765
My favourite combo right now - PC - Foobar - Mojo - HD6XX.
Absolutely wonderful pairing.
pp1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back