1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. palestofwhite
    Precisely that issue. One with an internal crack and the other 2 pretty worn over the years. I thought I might as well. Recently also used some wipes and I think it contained alcohol which messed up with the surface of the balls, not knowing they're actually acrylic.

I've emailed Chord Support and asked for Mitch. Let's see what happens next... :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. palestofwhite
    No luck with the local dealer, since they've not even replied to my email about the replacement battery. The store that sold me the spare battery don't carry them.

So, I dropped an email to Chord Support instead as pointed out by @miketlse...

3. crtexcnndrm99
    Slightly confused. Interested in testing out the Mojo with the Onkyo DP-S1 DAP I already have... not sure which input/outputs would work and hence what cables I need. 3.5mm / mini-USB (Onkyo) -> mini-USB / optical (Mojo)?

As far as the different connectors go, I'm very much a novice :fearful:

4. miketlse
    1 - Mojo only accepts digital inputs
    2 - it looks like the Onkyo has an OTG USB output https://www.eu.onkyo.com/downloads/3/1/4/1/2/Manual_DP-S1_EnFrEsItDeSv.pdf so you should be OK
    3 - As a start point, there is a section in the FAQ in post #3 of this thread, which contains info about connecting the Mojo via OTG, including a couple of links to cables.

However OTG cables are more common now than when Mojo launched 3 years ago, so maybe you could use a cheaper cable like this, to test your setup and then decide if you want to buy an expensive cable at a later date.

crtexcnndrm99 likes this.
  5. crtexcnndrm99
    Excellent, thank you.

6. palestofwhite
    Gotten a reply from Chord Support to fill them in with my address. I'm having more faith with the brand now than with their dealers...

miketlse likes this.
  7. KT66
    Today I finally got around to using the Mojo in my main system at home. (I7 PC, Win10,Foobar, Prima Luna Prologue 2, Rogers LS5/9)

Fascinating comparing with the incumbent Audio M-Dac which sounds great and has served me well.

Noticeable increase in fidelity and detail, also quite a big increase in bass, rarely a good thing for me.
    The volume in Foobar also stopped being adjustable when playing DFF and DSF files, however these DSD sourced files (eg Stones Let it Bleed) sound simply glorious, probably the best sound I've had at home.

Anyone else hearing increased bass when used as DAC in a system at home? Or it could of course be my dodgy ears.

8. jwbrent
    I had my Mojo hooked up to my speaker system waiting for the Qutest to be released ... it sounded surprisingly good, and yes, it initially sounded like the bass was more prominent than before, but part of my reaction may have come from the Mojo’s tonal color—warmer signature—as well.

I’m always amazed by how good the Mojo is for its modest price.

miketlse likes this.
  9. palestofwhite
    Kind of already feeling the withdrawal syndrome of not being able to listen to my Mojo. :frowning2:

This morning, the power button finally gave way and I had to open the unit up again to remove the broken pieces.
    Decided to discard the remaining 2 volume buttons too, just to be safe, as I don't want to have to deal with the same thing all over again.

Now, patiently awaiting Chord to get back to me on the replacement buttons since last Friday.

10. Rob Watts
    I'm always amazed that people are amazed at how good Mojo actually is - as there are solid scientific and engineering reasons behind Mojo's SQ and musical performance.

There are three fundamental factors that account for SQ on Dac/amps:

1. Noise floor modulation and lack of distortion - this determines fundamental refinement (warmth or smoothness) and without it timbre variations are suppressed.

2. Reconstruction of transients accurately. Transients provide vital psycho-acoustic cues for the brain, so that the brain can create the auditory illusion. Get transients wrong, and instrument separation, timbre, pitch perception of bass and instrument location all suffer.

3. Small signal accuracy. This allows the perception of small details, and crucially the perception of depth.

These three factors are the most important, and will pretty much define sound quality.

And Mojo has:

1. Unmeasurable noise floor modulation - unlike any other non Chord DAC/amp at any price point.
    2. With the WTA filter and with much greater processing power from the powerful FPGA, enabling much more accurate reconstruction of timing - and this performance is some 500 times better than any other non Chord DAC - again at any price.
    3. DAC performance that will reproduce small signals with no measurable inaccuracy - together with the 200 dB noise shapers, and the ultra simple amp section, this produces small signal accuracy that again is unmatched by any other non Chord DAC/amp.

So no doubt in the future I will still be amazed at people who are amazed by Mojo's performance!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    Focux, Adu, krismusic and 8 others like this.
  11. DjBobby
    What is a gain factor of Mojo's amp section? I guess Mojo's amp section might have different topology than other headphone amps, but to what gain figure (low/high) is it comparable in terminology commonly used with other headphone amps? Many thanks.

12. palestofwhite
    Coming from a person without much technical knowledge in the D/A area, I must say that this little device provided such satisfaction that I've not been looking at other options for the past few years. I used to do quite a bit of buying and selling of audio equipment, but those days are long gone.

That being said, I'm also quite impressed with Chord support. It seems that they've already sent me the replacement buttons that I've request last week. Such are the little things from a brand that keeps me positive about the community. I'm even thinking of upgrading to a Hugo 2 at some point, once my trusty Mojo reach the end of it's serviceable lifespan.

13. miketlse
    Thanks for this feedback, that your issue has been taken care of quickly. :)

palestofwhite likes this.
  14. Rob Watts
    It is not possible to put a gain figure as such, as the amp is a single I to V converter. So the pulse array output is a current output, which is converted to voltage via the amp's feedback resistor. The amp is a virtual ground input, arranged to have as low an input impedance as possible.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    onsionsi and DjBobby like this.
  15. palestofwhite
    And... the wait begins... :D