Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 14, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #36,721 of 42,759
Basically more powerful, but I think that there were one or two elements of functionality that were removed, in order to reduce the battery drain.
Remember that the M1 was the entry level dap, and the M0 is the relatively recent dap, that builds on the experience gained with the M1 dap.

You can also use the hibylink app to control the shanling daps, using a phone or tablet, so the small dap screen size need not be an issue.

For sake of correctness the M0 does not use the Hibylink app as the OS is in house Shanling not Hiby. I do not believe they have released that feature for their OS as of yet but it is in the pipeline.
@almarti I use my M1 everyday as a transport to Mojo, I play every format from MP3 320K to 96 Flac and they all sound significantly better thru Mojo than DAP alone either my M1, X3II or iPod (wifes using everything converted to AAC via DBPowerAmp).
As far as battery issues, I've had Mojo for quite some time and still get a good use of 2 to 3 days while at work, @ 3 hours a day, I charge over night a home. No issues.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #36,722 of 42,759
Here is one of the pictures of the battery https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2190#post-13571634
Note how the battery shape seems to have indentations that align with the positions of some of the components on the circuit board.

If your battery is so swollen that it will flex the machined aluminium case, have you contacted Chord support?

The "indentions" are not in the battery, they are in a foam layer that is glue to the battery.
See this photo of an original replacement battery with the foam layer pre-installation:
https://www.hifipro.ca/product/chord-electronics-mojo-original-battery-replacement-accessories

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #36,723 of 42,759
For sake of correctness the M0 does not use the Hibylink app as the OS is in house Shanling not Hiby. I do not believe they have released that feature for their OS as of yet but it is in the pipeline.
@almarti I use my M1 everyday as a transport to Mojo, I play every format from MP3 320K to 96 Flac and they all sound significantly better thru Mojo than DAP alone either my M1, X3II or iPod (wifes using everything converted to AAC via DBPowerAmp).
As far as battery issues, I've had Mojo for quite some time and still get a good use of 2 to 3 days while at work, @ 3 hours a day, I charge over night a home. No issues.
Apologies, I was basing my comments on this post, and the mistaken belief that 'future' related to post M0 models.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #36,725 of 42,759
Jun 14, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #36,726 of 42,759
so it is good not to load it to the maximum

No problem to charge the battery to 100%, but don't keep it powered all the time, and try to avoid charging it while using it.
(gets too hot)

Regarding full discharge:
Yes, the fastest was to kill a LiPo battery is to deep discharge it with high current, but in this application, the currents and discharge rates are low, and the device will be switched off before deep discharging the battery. So this should also not be a problem.

Long time storage:
best storage conditions for a battery are at around 30% charge state, and room temperature.

If used as intended the Mojo battery should last years.

Cheers! :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #36,727 of 42,759
I already saw that picture - that battery looks much thinner than the battery inside the Mojo.
Are you sure that hifipro are 100% accurate with their marketing info?

I have no way to know for sure, but it looks authentic to me.

Jun 14, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #36,728 of 42,759
Thanks, I am frustrated with the Hidizs AP200 promises not implemented, waiting for just new coming HiBy R3 but seriously considering purchasing M0.
This helps.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #36,729 of 42,759
It’s here!

Seller described it as mint and it basically is mint condition.

DAB27E42-FBA0-4506-A4FA-984520FDEB01.jpeg

Got my ER4SR ready for some serious listening.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #36,730 of 42,759
That is exactly the problem. Mojo battery is designed to be used. It is a portable device by default. Almost everyone who killed Mojo battery used it pretty much nonstop plugged in to power. Apparently this cooks the battery after a while. My first Mojo's battery died the same way. I used another Mojo for 18 months doing full cycles, using battery only and it works perfectly, just as new.
Ok. Would follow your suggestion. Unplug and cycle battery from time to time.

But my MacBook and laptops are always AC powered, why those batteries ain't cooked?

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #36,731 of 42,759

But my MacBook and laptops are always AC powered, why those batteries ain't cooked?

My MacBook battery (batteries) was cooked a few times from constantly being left plugged in before I learned my lesson. Same with my iPod Classic in the dock. Doesn’t mean it will happen every time, with every device, but it isn’t a good practice to leave lithium batteries always at full charge (above 4.10V / cel).

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #36,732 of 42,759

Unplugging and cycling the battery from time to time will not help much, IMHO.
If you want to keep the MOJO plugged in permanently, I would use a AC plug with timing function between wall outlet and your charger, and program it to charge the Mojo only for a limited time every day, or even every other day.
You still have to switch off the Mojo when not playing music, to prevent it from running hot and running down the battery.

Very good argument about the Laptop - the answer is that it's designed to work also when plugged in permanently.
The Chord HUGO is also designed to be used as a desktop amplifier, permanently plugged in, and it charges/conditions the battery differently when used that way.
The Mojo is only designed for portable use, but with the workaround of teh timed charger it should do fine as a desktop amp too.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #36,733 of 42,759
Loving my Mojo and the SQ but I think I get the RF or playing TIDAL offline crackling/popping noise that pops up randomly when using with my iPhone X.

Kind of disappointing... :triportsad:

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #36,734 of 42,759
Loving my Mojo and the SQ but I think I get the RF or playing TIDAL offline crackling/popping noise that pops up randomly when using with my iPhone X.

Kind of disappointing... :triportsad:

Try a 1m usb cable and keep the phone as far away as possible. If that clears it up, then you were getting RFI. Depending on your use case, you might like Poly, or a dedicated dap.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #36,735 of 42,759
Try a 1m usb cable and keep the phone as far away as possible. If that clears it up, then you were getting RFI. Depending on your use case, you might like Poly, or a dedicated dap.

Thanks for the help.

I ordered a 1.5ft ferrite core Monoprice MicroUSB cable. I’m hoping it clears up the random buzzing that occurs on and off. I might look into the Poly too but I heard there’s a lot issues with that as well. My use case is 1.5 hrs of subway commute a day so portability and proximity of the DAC/amp to my iPhone X is 100% required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back