Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 4, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #36,346 of 42,765
There is something in Mojo's battery charging curve that does not convince me.
I charged with Anker 40W 5-ports Turbo USB Power Adapter, Model Number 71AN7105, powering CUA (computerized usb analyzer) AVHzY CT-2 (latest firmware) and stock USB-to-USB-Micro cable.

Mojo discharged to Green battery light indicator by playing various Hi-Res files via JRiver MC 23. Volume level ten clicks below from lowest double-red and RHA-T20i connected. Once green appeared I put Mojo to off and let it rest one hour to let it cool down.
This is the charging plot. Plotting starts at 0.1A and was set to end at 0.1A as well, but that never happened.
That is, I stopped it manually after having seen that the less than 0.15A charging started at 2hrs and 34 min was STILL ongoing at 5hrs and 22 min.
Granted, at that time the white charging light was off but What is that 0.14nn A charging that goes on forever?
Same happened with different USB power sources. BTW.
So are we dealing with some parasitic drain? Where does it come from? Maybe from batteries' own PCB?
First time ever I've seen such a charging plot.

Anyway, with Mojo resting charged, off and unplugged the whole night and in the same testing conditions, in the first afternoon I changed plotting end at 0.150A (i.e. 2 seconds below that would have triggered plotting stop). Plotting start unchanged at 0.1A .
This is the plot. Slightly less than 24minutes to see white light going off. But once again the tester's own display was showing that 0.14xx A .
With the charger connected and mojo turned off, then the FPGA is powered up directly from the charger 5v. This is the leakage you see, but it is not coming from the battery at all. The FPGA is still on when the charging has stopped.

May 4, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #36,347 of 42,765
With the charger connected and mojo turned off, then the FPGA is powered up directly from the charger 5v. This is the leakage you see, but it is not coming from the battery at all. The FPGA is still on when the charging has stopped.

Thanks Rob, as always you're communicative and ready to help us understanding how your magnificent devices are working.
Is FPGA always on even when Mojo is off and disconnected from any external power source? Thanks again

May 4, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #36,350 of 42,765
I am panicking with my Hugo 2 about this over desktop mode.

Like if you plug your charger in, and leave it plugged in, after twenty-four hours, it goes into desktop mode. In desktop mode it's supposed to use mostly power from the charger. The taking a drop from the battery for really demanding musical parts.

However for the first twenty-four hours, before going into desktop mode. The Mojo shows a charge and discharge cycle. ... The trouble with mine is, while it indicates desktop mode after twenty-four hours. It appears to continue charging and discharging in the same cycle.

I am terrified of killing my Hugo 2 by leaving it plugged in constantly. Yet that's one f the reasons I was so keen to buy it. ..... I twice asked about this, in the Hugo2 thread but got very little feedback, and ignored by Chord both times. Even though they were answering questions all around mine. . I mean, I wasn't trying to cause trouble. I was asking to determine if I need to take it back to the retailer. Or send to be looked at by Chord. (Risking losing it in the post or getting a damaged item back, from wherever.)

As you can imagine I am hurting over having to use it battery only. Although I use it plugged in sometimes.

Knowing that the HUGO 2 has a desktop mode is actually very reassuring!
What makes you think that the Hugo charges and discharges the battery in desktop mode?

It actually would be exactly the right thing to do, to partially discharge the battery in desktop mode, since the best condition for long term battery storage is at partial charge.
In RC-world it's recommended to discharge the batteries to 3,7V per cell for long term storage, and then cycle them every couple of weeks or months (i.e. fully charge and discharge again to storage voltage). Considering an estimated 1000 charging cycles, you could charge/discharge the battery once a week for 20 years...

From what I read the Mojo doesn't have a desktop mode and keeps the battery fully charged when connected to a power supply (makes sense for a portable device too)
This, combined with the evelvated temperature when the charger is connected seems to shorten the lifetime of the battery. As stated before that would match experiences from the automotive application of Li-X batteries.

I think I will charge the Mojo it only when necessary to assure good health and lifetime of the batteries.
With a power bank that can also be done on the move.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #36,351 of 42,765
Enjoying this combo...

00CByA.jpg

May 4, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #36,357 of 42,765
Knowing that the HUGO 2 has a desktop mode is actually very reassuring!
What makes you think that the Hugo charges and discharges the battery in desktop mode?

It actually would be exactly the right thing to do, to partially discharge the battery in desktop mode, since the best condition for long term battery storage is at partial charge.
In RC-world it's recommended to discharge the batteries to 3,7V per cell for long term storage, and then cycle them every couple of weeks or months (i.e. fully charge and discharge again to storage voltage). Considering an estimated 1000 charging cycles, you could charge/discharge the battery once a week for 20 years...

From what I read the Mojo doesn't have a desktop mode and keeps the battery fully charged when connected to a power supply (makes sense for a portable device too)
This, combined with the evelvated temperature when the charger is connected seems to shorten the lifetime of the battery. As stated before that would match experiences from the automotive application of Li-X batteries.

I think I will charge the Mojo it only when necessary to assure good health and lifetime of the batteries.
With a power bank that can also be done on the move.

It's because the Hugo 2 seems to go through heating and cooling cycles, when in desktop mode. They occur with a similar frequency to when not in desktop mode. I will however totally recheck this, because it's not fair to anyone otherwise. I am worried though so far.

You're right that the battery should discharge some when playing and linked up in desktop mode. That's what Hugo 2 does. (Then after playing is complete and Hugo 2 turned off, it tops the battery up.)

As of now though, I think the Hugo 2 is doing the same charge discharge cycle as it were when not in desktop mode. What I have to do to be sure is watch how long the charge and discharge cycles are while in first twenty four hours. (Meaning before the power light goes purple and it's in desktop mode.) ... Then I have to measure the charge and discharge cycles in desktop mode, by feeling temperature. As you can imagine, a nightmare to try to do. I think because as soon as you put music on with your Chord DAC, you just forget anything else.

Really though, since the Hugo2 should really be running off charger, it's supposed to use minimal battery. meaning it won't really recharge while playing in desktop mode. Mine does though. ...... I must re-check though, because I don't want to put anyone off. The Hugo 2 is a great sounding product. Basically it's audio quality is without question.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #36,358 of 42,765
It's because the Hugo 2 seems to go through heating and cooling cycles, when in desktop mode. They occur with a similar frequency to when not in desktop mode. I will however totally recheck this, because it's not fair to anyone otherwise. I am worried though so far.

You're right that the battery should discharge some when playing and linked up in desktop mode. That's what Hugo 2 does. (Then after playing is complete and Hugo 2 turned off, it tops the battery up.)

As of now though, I think the Hugo 2 is doing the same charge discharge cycle as it were when not in desktop mode. What I have to do to be sure is watch how long the charge and discharge cycles are while in first twenty four hours. (Meaning before the power light goes purple and it's in desktop mode.) ... Then I have to measure the charge and discharge cycles in desktop mode, by feeling temperature. As you can imagine, a nightmare to try to do.

Really though, since the Hugo2 should really be running off charger, it's supposed to use minimal battery. meaning it won't really recharge while playing in desktop mode. Mine does though. ...... I must re-check though, because I don't want to put anyone off. The Hugo 2 is a great sounding product. Basically it's without question.

Just PM @Rob Watts if you're that concerned about the functionality and if your's is working as intended.

May 4, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #36,359 of 42,765
Just PM @Rob Watts if you're that concerned about the functionality and if your's is working as intended.

Yeah, it'll probably take me ages to check the Hugo 2 again.

Meanwhile today listening to Mojo and headphones for fun. My headphones are a tad bright; Grado - say no more. Plus the slightly warm sounding Mojo. Lush as always.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back