Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 3, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #3,616 of 42,765
I would prefer to leave my smartphone alone and use the music function for when one is feeling lazy so to speak.
I see the Mojo as being paired with a basic DAP eg Sony A10/A20, Fiio X1/X3ii for example, or paired with a premium DAP when you need some extra oomph for harder-to-drive cans.

The Mojo is a great price point, so I would say that it's the ideal vehicle to draw some music lovers (not necessarily audiophiles or head-fiers) who generally use their modern smartphone for music but would be amazed at the SQ difference that a decent pair of earphones and a Mojo can deliver. Hence having a top tier DAC and effectively extra amping facilities in one little box that is affordable to people who happily splash out big bucks on the latest smartphone - partly for its music storage and decent music reproduction.

The trick is spreading the word about the Mojo beyond this kind of forum into the mainstream. The more that Chord sell to "normal" music fans, the more they have for R&D into products that suit both camps.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #3,617 of 42,765
Ok Guy - Drop me a PM mate. Got some ideas on marketing.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #3,618 of 42,765
So many different opinions on what causes it but that's not the point. The marketing is misleading as it is not as compatible as the manufacturer is claiming. Why make something that sounds so great until a text message turns it to crap. Using airplane mode is not a satisfactory remedy, that's like having a car that drives great until you go round a corner and suggesting only driving in a straight line.

Chord should have put a disclaimer out that says "you may experience interference with certain mobile phones and/or cables".

My issue is that the marketing is geared heavily towards the mobile phone user.

Preach to the choir but for Chord it's sales lost if they don't claim compatibility. I have no issues with my Oppo HA-2 so I guess their enclosure must be pretty well sealed however I use a MFi cable they provided so it's short and sweet. My bigess issue is with my player and my phone, I get notifications that get shipped right into my earphones, not too pleasant. I am thinking the Mojo will be about the same so my player which does not have WiFi or cell signals will definitively work better.

that's the market Mojo was essentially designed for, hth.

Understood that's what you guys have to claim else sales will fall because the emphasis is on portability, contrary to the bulkier Hugo.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #3,619 of 42,765
That's why one should get a simple and small DAP as transport for the Mojo

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #3,620 of 42,765
Nov 3, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #3,621 of 42,765
Ok, here's what needs to happen.  Some of you guys with massively disposable incomes who enjoy tinkering with audiophile gear need to acquire all the top smartphones when they are available: iphone6, iphone7, Samsung s7/s7edge/edge+, HTC one m10, xperia z5/z5c.  Get all the best cables as well.  Use some extremely sensitive CIEMs.  Use the phones while playing music and record which phones provide the most and least interference.  Make an excel spreadsheet to record your results.

Or everyone just compile results you've seen individually into a collective spreadsheet we can all contribute to on google docs or something, making sure to provide which CIEMS/cables/phones your using, and keep it updated.

Also, I don't think Chord is out of line in any sense of the word with their marketing.  You guys need to remember that this forum is probably .0000001% of people who listen to music and the vast majority of people won't care about any interference at all anyway-hence the majority of chords market.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #3,623 of 42,765

Honestly I'd rather use a phone, it's simpler and the new phones can even output DSD(S7, Z5, etc).  Plus I don't want to spend the extra coin for a dap when I don't need one.  It'd be much more convienent for me to carry my phone(which I always carry + it's charger) then simply add the mojo and it's charger than to carry a phone + charger, mojo + charger, dap + charger + probably need a battery pack now that I'm running so many devices + charger for that.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,624 of 42,765
My iPhone - always with me.
A small DAP eg Sony A15 & custom IEMs - always with me and no need for charger due to the Sony's extraordinary battery life
A DAC amp eg Mojo, HA-2, - rarely comes with me out of the house. Unless it's a long long trip or to a head-fi meet.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3,625 of 42,765
Also, I don't think Chord is out of line in any sense of the word with their marketing.  You guys need to remember that this forum is probably .0000001% of people who listen to music and the vast majority of people won't care about any interference at all anyway-hence the majority of chords market.

Sorry I wasn't suggesting that Chord's marketing was in any way naff.
It's just that I have lots of mates who love music but think I'm a lunatic for spending, say, USD500 on a pair of IEMs or carrying around an extra box just to connect to my smartphone in an age where smartphones produce really good (not audiophile, but really good) SQ when used solo.

I just think that the Mojo could indeed be a bit of a "game changer" with the next tranche down of music lovers who don't spend their evenings debating cable upgrades on a web forum but who, when people like us force them to listen to music THAT THEY KNOW WELL AND LOVE through good IEMs and a reasonably-priced box like a Mojo, can immediately tell how much better the SQ is. Some - not all - of them, might decide to take the plunge.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,626 of 42,765
Sorry I wasn't suggesting that Chord's marketing was in any way naff.
It's just that I have lots of mates who love music but think I'm a lunatic for spending, say, USD500 on a pair of IEMs or carrying around an extra box just to connect to my smartphone in an age where smartphones produce really good (not audiophile, but really good) SQ when used solo.

I just think that the Mojo could indeed be a bit of a "game changer" with the next tranche down of music lovers who don't spend their evenings debating cable upgrades on a web forum but who, when people like us force them to listen to music THAT THEY KNOW WELL AND LOVE through good IEMs and a reasonably-priced box like a Mojo, can immediately tell how much better the SQ is. Some - not all - of them, might decide to take the plunge.

Yea, I'm sure the way it was intended to be; get new people into caring about sound quality(hence the newest phones all have excellent audiophile grade DAC chips), all they need to buy a decent pair of iems and the mojo and they're getting much better sound quality. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #3,627 of 42,765
My iPhone - always with me.
A small DAP eg Sony A15 & custom IEMs - always with me and no need for charger due to the Sony's extraordinary battery life
A DAC amp eg Mojo, HA-2, - rarely comes with me out of the house. Unless it's a long long trip or to a head-fi meet.

mojo would always be with me.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #3,628 of 42,765
Hello rmillerx,

I am the one who mentioned this adapter, I think you should not push it so far.
Just put some piece of paper folded to keep it tight between it and the case.
Look at my picture:

By doing so, you will even hear an nice click when plugged in.

It gets pushed that far back when I insert the end into the second device. I will try the paper option.
Thanks!

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #3,630 of 42,765
  What do you mean hth ? how does that help ?

Tell your friends at Chord that there are lot's of phones on the market that their product was "essentially designed for" that prevent users from enjoying the full quality of the Mojo due to interference, in other words stop ducking the issue lol

just thought I'd update you on the market that Mojo was intended for hence the 'hth', hth.

I'll pass on your findings no problem... I don't  duck issues btw but I do try to offer advice & solutions to Customer problems, I would say put your phone in airplane-mode when you want to sit back, relax and enjoy you music but no doubt your busy schedule won't allow it, let me get back to you when I know a positive outcome.

Ok Guy - Drop me a PM mate. Got some ideas on marketing.

marketing is not in my remit, I'll pm & point you in the right direction though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back