Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 17, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #36,091 of 42,759
I own Mojo for 2 years and 3 months. This is quite a long time in this hobby to hold on to one product.
After 9 months I cooked my first Mojo's battery by using it 24/7 plugged in to charger. (That time I was told it is ok to keep it plugged in.)
I have been doing full cycles with my replacement Mojo for 18 months now, battery is still like new, easily does 8 hrs.

During this good two years I tried many of the popular DACs out of curiosity to see what they can offer against Mojo. iFi Nano BL, iFi Micro BL, OPPO HA2SE, Fiio Q5, (Hugo2).
The next DAC I will review is the new xDSD from iFi. I am really interested in trying it but have a strong feeling I will come to the same conclusion as before if we look at sound quality only.
The Micro BL, Q5, and probably the xDSD are not so far from Mojo. They offer a very nice high quality sound, but Mojo's magic is missing. The soundstage depth and the lifelikeness is exceptional on Chord's DACs. No other DACs are able to reproduce such a natural sounding voice and (especially acoustic) instruments. The magic of uniquely coded FPGA I guess.
You can find sparkier treble or tighter bass (that's harder) on other DACs, but none of them will be able to offer such a true to life experience. I keep looking, and some stuff comes near, but nothing made me want to swap Mojo even after 2 years and three months.
Bluetooth function for Mojo's price (without buying Poly) is quite appealing (Q5, xDSD). I imagine, some will be ready to make the small compromise on sound quality to ditch the wires. These DACs do offer a fun, quality and enjoyable sound. I however would miss this exceptional lifelikeness and naturalness of Mojo.

It is part of human nature to always look for the next thing. Not many is able to appreciate what they have. (Just look how often it pops up, people want Mojo 2 without understanding what level of engineering is behind Mojo.) I can accept, for some people the magic is not in a true to life sound presentation. They can find a punchier/bassier or more sparkly sounding DAC.
None of them will be as organic and natural though as Mojo is. To me everything else sounds artificial and I hate artificial things like plastic flowers.
Long live the Mojo and thanks to Rob! I still love this little black box with the colourful marbles. :)

This evening using my UERR i went back and forth between a few different DACs but Mojo is in a class of its own, cymbals sound much more real in a way that it’s quieter than the guitars but still stands out next the louder instruments, it’s not blended together at all. On the other DACs the loudest instruments get all the attention.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #36,092 of 42,759
I just received a quote from ( Music to my ears ) for $170 usd for battery replacement on an 11 month old Mojo.. I purchased it
3 weeks ago in the classifieds and it holds a charge for approximately 90 mins.
Previous owner claims he kept it plugged in
at desktop from day 1.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #36,093 of 42,759
I just received a quote from ( Music to my ears ) for $170 usd for battery replacement on an 11 month old Mojo.. I purchased it
at desktop from day 1.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you've been screwed (apologies to be blunt)

Secondly, as I'm sure you realise, because you are not the original purchaser, you are not covered by the warranty (which is part-&-parcel of the contract between retailer and customer).
I'll get to the quote you described, later on.

Unfortunately, a small number of unscrupulous individuals run their gear into the ground and then flog it to unsuspecting punters.

You are not the first person to be sold a secondhand Mojo that has been left incessantly plugged-in to the mains, with the battery suffering, as a consequence.

1) Did you buy it from a Head-Fier?

2) Did you buy using Paypal?

3) Did you buy using Paypal 'Gift' option?

Back to the quote you mentioned - the $170 is evidently inclusive of labour. Whether or not this is excessive is a matter of opinion, but, provided you are reasonably confident with swapping the battery yourself (a simple unscrewing of the bottom plate, and unplugging the battery to plug in a new one), you should be able to obtain a new battery from a Chord dealer without paying them to do the fitting. The tricky bit is that shipping restrictions may prevent shipping a battery that isn't within the device for which it is intended. That could mean you having to actually attend a dealer in person (ideally with your Mojo), in order to purchase the battery.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #36,094 of 42,759
at desktop from day 1.
Most of that cost, will the labour charges at the service centre.
If you are happy to diy the replacement, contact chord directly and they will try and send the battery to the dealer for approx 50 dollars, and you pick the battery up, and replace it yourself in 5 minutes. Search this thread for more details.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #36,095 of 42,759
Unfortunately, a small number of unscrupulous individuals run their gear into the ground and then flog it to unsuspecting punters.

You are not the first person to be sold a secondhand Mojo that has been left incessantly plugged-in to the mains, with the battery suffering, as a consequence.

1) Did you buy it from a Head-Fier?

2) Did you buy using Paypal?

3) Did you buy using Paypal 'Gift' option?
I did use PayPal Goods & Services.
Per their policy, I have contacted the seller
to sort this out and he quoted the Head-Fi
Buyer assumes all risk B.S.
I will take your advice and move forward with PayPal. Im so impressed with this device I contemplated taking the ‘hit’ and
fixing it. Silly I know!

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #36,096 of 42,759
Hmmm... well, I'll leave it to you to decide how to handle the seller trying to put one over on you, but selling someone a device with a dud battery, without describing it as such is unacceptable in my book, as I'm sure it is, yours.

Selfish sellers aside, please don't let it put you off Mojo. What secondhand sellers do to their gear is not Chord's fault, and it's a really nice DAC.

If you hit a brick wall with resolving the situation, let us know in this thread...
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #36,097 of 42,759
I have a Mojo for sell if anyones interested!

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #36,100 of 42,759
i'm outside with my portable rig right now, and i noticed all of a sudden, the mojo was silencing part of a song. i tested it directly out of my phone jack and theres no silence, the stuff thats supposed to be there is there. i've tried it with several formats of the song and its happened on all of them so far. i redownloaded the track 3 times, silence at the same place everytime. is it a decoding problem? i'm guessing the mojo doesnt like my music because its unworthy

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #36,101 of 42,759
Final Audio FI-BA-SS with Chord Mojo is really special, Mojo's warmth with treble rolled off complement FI-BA-SS very well, no harsh treble at all, making listening very enjoyable!

So9FOLO.jpg

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #36,102 of 42,759
I find sound with Mojo natural rather than trebles rolled off. I do not think I miss anything in the higher frequency areas.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #36,103 of 42,759
i'm outside with my portable rig right now, and i noticed all of a sudden, the mojo was silencing part of a song. i tested it directly out of my phone jack and theres no silence, the stuff thats supposed to be there is there. i've tried it with several formats of the song and its happened on all of them so far. i redownloaded the track 3 times, silence at the same place everytime. is it a decoding problem? i'm guessing the mojo doesnt like my music because its unworthy
Which track is that? Maybe we can try to replicate it and help you out.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #36,104 of 42,759
I find sound with Mojo natural rather than trebles rolled off. I do not think I miss anything in the higher frequency areas.

I'm using Chord Hugo as a reference to say Chord Mojo actually got slight treble rolled off and also sounds warmer compared to Hugo brighter sound.
Mojo resolution is not as resolving as Hugo but sounds more musical.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #36,105 of 42,759
Which track is that? Maybe we can try to replicate it and help you out.
aight, i just got home and it happens on my computer too. heres the track

the silence is at 0:10, you'll have to download it, i have flac and wav

i just downloaded the mp3, that is working fine, so its just the lossless files that are weird

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back