Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 30, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #35,747 of 42,759

I saw the announcement last week. FPGA's intended for data centres will be hideously expensive; and it has processor cores I do not need. 7nm process will be very exciting - but the economical mode is normally two steps above the current state of the art node, as a state of the art node mask set will cost around $150M - and that fixed cost will only be used for expensive devices. So a 7nm to replace the current 28nm Artix range (which is what I currently use for DAC's) would mean that state of the art production would be 2 or 3 nm - and we are many years (perhaps a decade) away from that. There is no point in a process node that is so expensive that only a few devices are ever made at silly prices. When Xilinx "launched" the Artix range in 2012, it took 3 or 4 years before you could actually buy anything... And no hints of anything to replace the Artix range.

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #35,748 of 42,759
Just got mojo. I started Chord experience with Hugo2. Felt that h2 was too big to carry around. H2 will be used in my 2 channel set up mostly. So decided to buy mojo since I loved h2. Mojo is good, period. It has very life like sound texture but with a drop of honey on top. Mojo sounded really good right out of the box. H2 needed about 25 to 30 hrs burnin to sound for my liking. I also listened Dave for bit at the store. Wow! Never heard such pleasant sound with infinite amounts of details in my ears. Obtaining dave will be my hifi end game for sure.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #35,749 of 42,759
For those who are interested, I recently tested my Mojo with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon micro usb cable(1-ft. for $140). The improvements were "extremely" subtle and came in the form of a shade more clarity in exchange for a shade less musicality. I ended up returning it because I did not feel that the improvement and compromise in sound was worth the $60 difference in price with my current Moon Audio Blue Dragon micro usb cable(1-ft. for $80). YMMV.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #35,750 of 42,759
I own the same usb cable Moon Audio Silver Dragon micro usb cable together with Audioquest Jitterbug; the sound it's detailed but I prefer more the coaxial connection over the usb.
IMG_3143.JPG

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #35,751 of 42,759
For those who are interested, I recently tested my Mojo with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon micro usb cable(1-ft. for $140). The improvements were "extremely" subtle and came in the form of a shade more clarity in exchange for a shade less musicality. I ended up returning it because I did not feel that the improvement and compromise in sound was worth the $60 difference in price with my current Moon Audio Blue Dragon micro usb cable(1-ft. for $80). YMMV.

Hmmm....it's almost enough to make a person wonder if high-priced luxury cables made from dodo tears and rocking-horse $h1t might not really be worth the money...
deep-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #35,752 of 42,759
Hmmm....it's almost enough to make a person wonder if high-priced luxury cables made from dodo tears and rocking-horse $h1t might not really be worth the money...

Cables have a high diminishing marginal return, IMO. Premium cables or even Bluejean cables should sound better than generic $1 stock cables and the difference can be easily distinguishable. Comparing different premium cables for pros / cons is much more pain in the @ss. One might need multiple components test the cables to pick out subtle differences between them. Those differences (if any) can be good or bad, or may worth a premium for some, but surely not for all.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #35,753 of 42,759
IMO the best bang of buckets with cables in the mid tier versions, they are distinguishable characteristics from bundled cables. Next step up really steepens the diminishing return. I run my mojo out of my M1 with their L2 OTG cable(it's silver) and prefer it over a generic OTG I have.Both work, L2 seems blackier and has more punch or weight. All IMO.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #35,754 of 42,759
IMO the best bang of buckets with cables in the mid tier versions, they are distinguishable characteristics from bundled cables. Next step up really steepens the diminishing return. I run my mojo out of my M1 with their L2 OTG cable(it's silver) and prefer it over a generic OTG I have.Both work, L2 seems blackier and has more punch or weight. All IMO.
What is the price range/examples of mid tier plz?

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #35,755 of 42,759
Hi everyone,

this is my first post:)

I have a Mojo and would appreciate anyone who can share his/her experience or present some well substantiated reasoning regarding the following question: How important is the quality of the cable that connects my Android phone with the Mojo? Is the importance comparable to the cable that connects the Mojo with the headphones?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #35,756 of 42,759
Hi everyone,

this is my first post:)

I have a Mojo and would appreciate anyone who can share his/her experience or present some well substantiated reasoning regarding the following question: How important is the quality of the cable that connects my Android phone with the Mojo? Is the importance comparable to the cable that connects the Mojo with the headphones?

Welcome. I think it’s important in the sense that cables can transmit electrical noise and interference. You want to eliminate that. If you can use optical, that is the best because no noise is transmitted. If you need a higher sampling rate or can’t use optical, consider Poly (yes, not cheap), as it sounds the best and supports all sample rates.

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #35,757 of 42,759
Glad to hear about that because I just placed an order for a L2 cable for stacking Mojo with the upcoming Hiby R3.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #35,758 of 42,759
What is the price range/examples of mid tier plz?
Anywhere from $50 to $125 depending on cable type, length and materials. I use Pangea USB 6% silver .5 m USB was $40, I also have Audioquest RCA interconnects .6 and 1 meter Evergreen and Cinnamon models $35 to $65. I have tried an AQ Carbon cable for a couple weeks and noticed no real difference with mine and it's in the $150 range. Not exactly scientific testing but it meets my needs and fit's in the budget. I've never bought any HP cables above $200 not heard any high end ones. My HP cables are PW No5, Null Audio Brevity and Impact Audio(2). I have a couple NRG power cables but they came with the equipment when I bought it.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #35,759 of 42,759
Welcome. I think it’s important in the sense that cables can transmit electrical noise and interference. You want to eliminate that. If you can use optical, that is the best because no noise is transmitted. If you need a higher sampling rate or can’t use optical, consider Poly (yes, not cheap), as it sounds the best and supports all sample rates.
Thanks for your reply!

Just to make it clear: Are you saying that there is no difference between the cable that goes from smartphone to mojo as compared to the cable that goes from mojo to headpones, in terms of how much the cables effect SQ?

Also, are you saying that transmitting the digital signal from my phone to the mojo via Wifi results in better SQ compared to using a cable and that that is the reason why the poly sounds better? And shouldn't the SQ improvement here be limited to the level of a an optical cable connection between data source (smartphone or poly) and mojo because the data still has to go through an optical cable to reach the mojo?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #35,760 of 42,759
I think:

Source (i.e. smartphone) can introduce jitter and electrical noises.
Cables can experience signal noise from RF and suffer from capacitance / inductance with dilectric properties of insulation of that cable.

Some people go with one box solution not only for having a simple setup but also to reduce a signal path to avoid unwanted sound quality degradation. A device like Poly does just that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back