Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 2, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #3,556 of 42,765
  I think (I wish) the next evolution for Mojo is to have a built-in minimalist music player without a GUI ala tera player. 
biggrin.gif

Yes!

I'm so tempted by it but the fact that you need two devices kind of kills its portability. And 600 is a lot of money (for me) for just  a desktop DAC/AMP.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #3,557 of 42,765
Thanks! Mscott58. I will check that. Just wanted to know the normal charging status for mojo as i will compare with mine case. But can i on the mojo when charging? I feel it should be able to but mine cannot during the 1st charge after 12hrs.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #3,559 of 42,765
So for those of you pairing the Mojo with the AK100ii and/or AK120 (original). Can I get a description of how the Mojo headphone out is better than the heaphone out of these DAPs? Is it more transparent/detailed?

Just got the AK240 in. I can offer some thoughts when I have more time with it. I will say that I guarantee you the Mojo isn't, in any way, worse than the AK240...... :wink_face:

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #3,560 of 42,765

Digital transmission is based on SPDIF standard which transmits data and clock information as an encoded signal usually using PCM, that information is decoded on the Mojo into data and clock signal so it's important that the encoded information be jittered free and not degraded over short distance.

The USB transmission on the other end is a device to device transmission mechanism using an encoding scheme and handshaking mechanism, it is usually stream based so more tolerant to poorer wire as frames are transmitted and decoded from the source to the target device. The target device will reconstruct the data and clock signal from the frame and then feed it to the DAC to be analog reconstructed and eventually band pass filtered to remove any residual high and low frequency signals out of the audio band.I still think you need to keep the USB cable short but it is more tolerant of longer lengths up to a limit.

To make a story short, the short USB cable is fine but an analog cable used as a digital one is just a bad idea. Again, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your intelligent and lucid explanations. If you don't mind a related question:

Clock jitter -- What is clock jitter? The reason I ask is that in considering different DAPs to use as transports to output a digital signal to the Mojo, I've seen some varying specs for clock jitter on different DAPs, as follows:

AK100 90 ps (pico seconds)
AK120 50 "
AK240 50 "

Question: Does clock jitter degrade the digital signal before it's send out from the DAP? Or are they referring to clock jitter of the internal dac, in which case clock jitter doesn't matter since the signal never reaches the dac (it's been output beforehand)?

If clock jitter degrades the signal before it's sent out, then it appears that the AK100 is not as good a transport as the other two. But would the difference be discernible?

Thx

Clock jitter is timing uncertainty (or inaccuracy) on the main clock that is feeding the digital outputs. Its often expressed as cycle to cycle jitter as an RMS figure, but can be total jitter which includes low frequency jitter too. Total jitter is the most important specification. If you want here is a good definition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter

As you can see, the jitter subject can get complicated and its often abused by marketing...

But with all of my DAC's you do not need to worry at all about source jitter, so all of the above AK numbers are fine. So long as its below 2uS (that is 2,000,000 pS) you are OK, and nobody has jitter that bad!

Rob

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #3,561 of 42,765
Hi Taz23, thanks for the reply! I am using the iphone wall charger. The white light is stable and not blink. How is normal charging like? Will the charging light goes off after fully charge? Can I on the mojo when charging?

Hi rq1111.  The best is to check the small numbers on the wall charger to be sure of the current ratings.  But it does seem that you have normal charging since the white LED is not blinking.  I did not actually time the duration, but it could be approximately 4-5 hours to reach a full charge from a flat battery when the Mojo is off.  Yes, the light goes off after a full charge.  

And yes, you should be able to switch the Mojo on (and use it) while charging.  But this will make it hot.  In fact, I had the Mojo go off by itself once when doing so; it could be due to some overheating because the unit felt cooler to the touch after I have my fan blow at it while using and charging.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3,563 of 42,765
It works but you forgot digital impedance matching, an analog cable is not set at 75 ohms so you are trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. It'll be marginal at best. You can make your own or buy an already built one which will give you unneeded cable signal reflection.

Such cables terminated with 3.5mm at both ends seem remarkably difficult to find. Could someone hpost an Amazon or other UK link please ?

Alternatively, I could buy a RCA to 3.5mm adaptor , which I have seen on Amazon, and connect to my existing DX90 cable.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #3,564 of 42,765

I HAVE received the micro usb to usb converter that a nice person on here mentioned and unfortunately the one I received is too recessed to connect well on the micro side. At least on my Dx90. There may be a different version that extends farther.

Hello rmillerx,

I am the one who mentioned this adapter, I think you should not push it so far.
Just put some piece of paper folded to keep it tight between it and the case.
Look at my picture:

By doing so, you will even hear an nice click when plugged in.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #3,565 of 42,765
Just got the AK240 in. I can offer some thoughts when I have more time with it. I will say that I guarantee you the Mojo isn't, in any way, worse than the AK240......
wink_face.gif

That sounds promising.

I was actually thinking about picking up Currawong's AK240 before you snatched it up. I was in a dilemma about which would offer the superior sound quality vs the Mojo.

You have my Layla's sister so I think you're the right man for the job
wink.gif

I would really like to avoid stacking if possible. I'm even willing to spend more money up to a point. But if the Mojo spanks the AK240 and/or AK240ss then I'll have no choice but to stack

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #3,566 of 42,765
Such cables terminated with 3.5mm at both ends seem remarkably difficult to find. Could someone hpost an Amazon or other UK link please ?

Alternatively, I could buy a RCA to 3.5mm adaptor, which I have seen on Amazon, and connect to my existing DX90 cable.

Here is what I would suggest but keep in mind that a 3.5 mm TRS might work however I do not know if the leads would properly physically align with the Mojo mono Coax jack.

I am not sure about the UK market but in general you could search for a 75 ohm Mogami or Belden cable, they usually sell for roughly a few dollars a foot so that's not terribly expensive. For the connectors, on the Mojo you can search for a mono (TR) 3.5 mm connector; Rean makes them, I believe the DX90 also uses the same male connector so you buy two, solder the cable on both ends and you got your cable.

I would also build another cable with a TR connector on one end and an RCA on the other for connecting the Mojo onto a Coax out source sound system but truly if you have a Toslink source, according to Rob, that would be the preferred connection.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #3,567 of 42,765
That sounds promising.

I was actually thinking about picking up Currawong's AK240 before you snatched it up. I was in a dilemma about which would offer the superior sound quality vs the Mojo.

You have my Layla's sister so I think you're the right man for the job :wink:

I would really like to avoid stacking if possible. I'm even willing to spend more money up to a point. But if the Mojo spanks the AK240 and/or AK240ss then I'll have no choice but to stack

That's getting into the discussion of what's best and how well they are implemented: 2 dual mono wired delta-sigma DACs or Rob's FPGA's programmed design? It will be hours of debates on each technology and techniques being used but it certainly has it's entertainment value. :wink:

I don't blame you for not stacking even though the Mojo is diminutively small, the stack is still thick. I tend to just carry my player by itself on the move and connect both of them back home so I might myself just do that but I'll keep the thick sandwich in the back of my mind.

I think (I wish) the next evolution for Mojo is to have a built-in minimalist music player without a GUI ala tera player. :D

That's another big can of worms. Music players are way more involved and difficult to implement but again those guys (Chord) seem to have the engineering Mojo :D

Does that mean the Moon Audio cable sounds better than the Sys Concept one 

Drew seems to think so. :wink:

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #3,568 of 42,765
Seems strange Mojo has RF issues when used with a phone. This is the description from the Chord site

"Chord Electronics is proud to introduce Mojo, the ultimate DAC/Headphone Amplifier for your smartphone. Simply connect Mojo to your iPhone, Android phone, PC, or Mac, plug in your headphones and you can experience crystal clear audio the way you would hear it in the recording studio."

Exactly my thoughts, misleading marketing and nobody from Chord has acknowledged there is a problem.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,569 of 42,765
  Exactly my thoughts, misleading marketing and nobody from Chord has acknowledged there is a problem.

I think for a lot of buyers outside of headfi these RF issues probably won't be an issue.  From my LG G4 it sounds amazing, crystal clear and full of detail, however being a member here and suffering from that OCD problem off "I can get another 3% increase in SQ if i attach a dap to this" means I'll probably look at other options to pair with the Mojo.
No different to the car enthusiast adding new alloys with certain tyres at a certain pressure because he believes it will give him 5mph more from his hot hatch.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,570 of 42,765
Well who to blame? Smartphone makers, DAC builders or even for that matter DAP manufacturers? They can't account for the poorly RF insulated phones and for them, the best they can do is suggest you don't stack them together but really place them apart so no RF will harm them. As soon as you cross the portable chasm, this is what you have to deal with. Can't win them all; if you want a portable RF free solution use a DAP else use your phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back