Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 9, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #35,552 of 42,758
Yeah, the HD 599s have an impedance of 50 ohms, so I guess they don't need much. It depends on what I'm listening to too, though. With classical, I usually have it in the orange, but with electronica, I'm finding below red is enough.

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #35,555 of 42,758
The opposite has been my experience. When I had my HD 6XXs, the volume on my Mojo was in the white range to be heard at slightly above normal levels. Same with the Concero HP.

I totally dislike the Mojo Hd650 pairing just for a similar reason (too thin sounding).

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #35,556 of 42,758
I totally dislike the Mojo Hd650 pairing just for a similar reason (too thin sounding).
Is this with the stock cables? I got a cable upgrade and to me / the sound is really good, clean and crisp.

From memory I’d listen at the green volume.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #35,557 of 42,758
The "I don't like Mojo with HD650" statement pop's up from time to time. I happen to quite like the paring and I just tested it again to confirm.

Source was Shanling M1. I tested Mojo and Ifi Nano BL into the HD650, actually to me they both sound very similar.

Neither sounds "thin" to me, sound-stage was very similar too, so I wonder why some people seem to think it sounds thin, I too found green-green to be the right volume for me on Mojo.

@RiseFall123 what do you normally drive you HD650 from? Its possible that Mojo will sound thin when directly compared to other sources.

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #35,558 of 42,758
My 3 years old Chord Mojo now will never get charged fully. The battery indicator is still white and quickly turns to red despite been charged overnight.
Bad battery or bad indicator?
Have you changed your charger?
If your light is still white, then the battery has not completed charging.
This topic has been discussed already many times on this thread, and here is some information from the FAQ in post #3

First, check that your charger is rated for at least 1amp charging current (higher is fine; lower is not). If the charger is not rated high-enough, then Mojos white charging LED will flash, to warn that Mojo will not charge successfully.

However, if your charger is fine, then it may be that Mojos battery has been discharged more-deeply than usual:

Quote:

.... I am thinking the battery is not holding any charge.
Try charging overnight with the unit off. The charging circuit looks at the state of the battery before charging. If the battery has a very low voltage, it will trickle charge the battery until it gets to a safe voltage, and then full charge will commence. This trickle charge mode can take several hours, and it is done for safety reasons, and it will appear that the battery is not working as the trickle charge mode takes some time. When in this mode Mojo must be off.

When charging make sure the battery light is white and not flashing - if it flashes, pull out the charging cable, count to ten, re-attach the charging cable. If it continues to flash, it is most likely the charger is not giving 1A at 5V, so use a better charger.

Rob
Originally Posted by Rob Watts

Firstly the 4/5 hours is the charge time whilst it is in constant current or full charge mode - so that will get you to blue. But after that it goes into trickle charge mode, and the white light will still be on. I can't remember how long the trickle charge mode is, but I guess 9 hours would be right for full and trickle charge.

Of course, if you are charging whilst on it will take very much longer to charge, and the charger timer might get triggered then you get the flashing white battery LED. The charger timer circuit is only on during full charge mode. So if it's fully charged, and then you plug in the charger and turn it on, then the white charger light will stay on permanently as the trickle charge is being balanced by the current Mojo is drawing (no net current into or out of the battery).

Hope that explains!

Rob

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #35,559 of 42,758
Have you changed your charger?
If your light is still white, then the battery has not completed charging.
This topic has been discussed already many times on this thread, and here is some information from the FAQ in post #3

First, check that your charger is rated for at least 1amp charging current (higher is fine; lower is not). If the charger is not rated high-enough, then Mojos white charging LED will flash, to warn that Mojo will not charge successfully.

However, if your charger is fine, then it may be that Mojos battery has been discharged more-deeply than usual:

Quote:

.... I am thinking the battery is not holding any charge.
Try charging overnight with the unit off. The charging circuit looks at the state of the battery before charging. If the battery has a very low voltage, it will trickle charge the battery until it gets to a safe voltage, and then full charge will commence. This trickle charge mode can take several hours, and it is done for safety reasons, and it will appear that the battery is not working as the trickle charge mode takes some time. When in this mode Mojo must be off.

When charging make sure the battery light is white and not flashing - if it flashes, pull out the charging cable, count to ten, re-attach the charging cable. If it continues to flash, it is most likely the charger is not giving 1A at 5V, so use a better charger.

Rob
Originally Posted by Rob Watts

Firstly the 4/5 hours is the charge time whilst it is in constant current or full charge mode - so that will get you to blue. But after that it goes into trickle charge mode, and the white light will still be on. I can't remember how long the trickle charge mode is, but I guess 9 hours would be right for full and trickle charge.

Of course, if you are charging whilst on it will take very much longer to charge, and the charger timer might get triggered then you get the flashing white battery LED. The charger timer circuit is only on during full charge mode. So if it's fully charged, and then you plug in the charger and turn it on, then the white charger light will stay on permanently as the trickle charge is being balanced by the current Mojo is drawing (no net current into or out of the battery).

Hope that explains!

Rob

The battery light is not flashing when it is charging therefore I assume the charger is fine. I think my Mojo battery is dying do you know where can I get the battery replaced since my Mojo is already out of warranty.

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #35,562 of 42,758
it has been charging like more than 24 hours and is still showing white. It was fine previously.
If it has been charging for that long, then that probably rules out recalibrating the charging circuit as well.
The default process is to contact your dealer, and they will return your Mojo to Chord.
The plan B if you are confident with DIY, is to contact Chod and they can send a battery to your dealer, and you can agree with your dealer whether they replace the battery, or let you replace the battery yourself. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2327#post-13930824
The DIY process is described in this thread, and is not difficult, but not everyone likes DIY.
Chord have to send the battery to your dealer, because many courier firms are nervous about shipping lithium batteries, to private addresses.

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #35,563 of 42,758
If it has been charging for that long, then that probably rules out recalibrating the charging circuit as well.
The default process is to contact your dealer, and they will return your Mojo to Chord.
The plan B if you are confident with DIY, is to contact Chod and they can send a battery to your dealer, and you can agree with your dealer whether they replace the battery, or let you replace the battery yourself. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2327#post-13930824
The DIY process is described in this thread, and is not difficult, but not everyone likes DIY.
Chord have to send the battery to your dealer, because many courier firms are nervous about shipping lithium batteries, to private addresses.
Noted. Thanks.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #35,564 of 42,758
it has been charging like more than 24 hours and is still showing white. It was fine previously.

In your case it may not be the battery that is faulty but the charge circuit instead. Its a guess, but if its showing white for that long its possible the charging circuit may not be passing any current to the battery. I would recommend against getting a battery and replacing it yourself because if its not the battery then your Mojo would have to be returned for repair anyway.

If it were mine I would remove the battery and cycle it using an external charger with a LiPo mode, then I would have a measurement of its current capacity. Do not do this unless you understand the risks and know exactly what you are doing.

Sadly I think this is not going to be a cheap repair.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #35,565 of 42,758
In your case it may not be the battery that is faulty but the charge circuit instead. Its a guess, but if its showing white for that long its possible the charging circuit may not be passing any current to the battery. I would recommend against getting a battery and replacing it yourself because if its not the battery then your Mojo would have to be returned for repair anyway.

If it were mine I would remove the battery and cycle it using an external charger with a LiPo mode, then I would have a measurement of its current capacity. Do not do this unless you understand the risks and know exactly what you are doing.

Sadly I think this is not going to be a cheap repair.
Unless this person is into RC stuff I seriously doubt he'll have an external LiPo charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back