Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 9, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #35,326 of 42,758
You may have misread what Rob was saying. For DIRECT headphone drive he doesn’t recommend an external amp so he suggests Hugo2 instead of the Qutest. For Qutest he recommends using a speaker setup because (almost all) speakers require an amp anyway. If you prefer your amp with the LCD-3 already then the Qutest will still work fine as the Hugo2 DAC tech is in the Qutest. Rob’s goal is ultimate transparency to the source so you need to keep this in mind when he says do not use an amp.

Thanks x RELIC x,
I haven't misread Rob, I understood it just like you wrote. I understand that the Qutest is a DAC like all others and will probably sound amazing with my amp.
I guess my dilemma is whether the lcd-3 really do sound better straight out of the Mojo and I'll just have to do some more listening and make my mind up about it. If this is the case then Rob is right and I really don't need the Qutest and would gain more from getting a Hugo2 (and probably sell the Soloist)

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #35,327 of 42,758
wj

wait, so the mojo has 49,152 taps but runs at 100mHz? so you can say it's somewhere between hugo and hugo 2?

another thing, although i'm mainly going to use it for music, can i use the mojo to watch movies with a friend?

No, the performance of the Mojo was intended to be similar to Hugo1. On the other hand the Mojo has better measured performance over Hugo1 but sounds smoother / warmer. I’m not sure where your 100mHz reference comes from. All this information is in the third post of this thread by the way.

This is one such post from John Franks regarding the number of TAPs that you asked earlier:

Actually it's about twice as many as Hugo but run at half the speed giving approximately the same number crunching power in terms of DSP ..... We have mentioned this before, but didn't want to put much focus on it as this is a small only part of the over design of Rob's overall topology

The Hugo2 is on a whole other level.

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #35,328 of 42,758
Thanks x RELIC x,
I haven't misread Rob, I understood it just like you wrote. I understand that the Qutest is a DAC like all others and will probably sound amazing with my amp.
I guess my dilemma is whether the lcd-3 really do sound better straight out of the Mojo and I'll just have to do some more listening and make my mind up about it. If this is the case then Rob is right and I really don't need the Qutest and would gain more from getting a Hugo2 (and probably sell the Soloist)

My apologies. I guess it comes down to your preferences then as the Hugo2 will easily drive the LCD-3 (by the numbers). Tough choice indeed, good luck with the audition.

Feb 9, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #35,329 of 42,758
ye
No, the performance of the Mojo was intended to be similar to Hugo1. On the other hand the Mojo has better measured performance over Hugo1 but sounds smoother / warmer. I’m not sure where your 100mHz reference comes from. All this information is in the third post of this thread by the way.

This is one such post from John Franks regarding the number of TAPs that you asked earlier:

ah but what's the speed of the hugo in the first place that the mojo has half of?

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #35,330 of 42,758
hi. I have a few questions:

1) how many taps does the mojo have?

2) does it do DSD NATIVELY? I read the mojo does DSD using DoP. Does that mean the DSD isn't native?

3) how's the battery?

Hang on about the TAP count.

I thought it was:
The Mojo has 26,368 taps running at half speed.
The Hugo 1 has 26,368 taps
The Hugo 2 has 49,152 taps

No idea about DSD.

Battery on mine does eight hours fifteen minutes after one year of fairly solid use. (Not every day, but most days.) That was how long the battery lasted when I bought it new.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #35,331 of 42,758
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #35,334 of 42,758
Hello, I was wondering if one of you Mojo-poly owners could answer me some questions. I already have the mojo, but considering buying poly.
1) How´s the airplay connection when playing either from iphone or a mac? My experience with airplay is that the connection some times cuts out..
2) Does the personal hotspot work?
3) How´s the bluetooth connection compared with airplay when you play from tidal hifi?
4) I´m gonna use the poly most of the time at home/work, and only with my headphones. Do you think the price is worth it when I´m not gonna use it with a speaker etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #35,335 of 42,758
Hello, I was wondering if one of you Mojo-poly owners could answer me some questions. I already have the mojo, but considering buying poly.
1) How´s the airplay connection when playing either from iphone or a mac? My experience with airplay is that the connection some times cuts out..
3) How´s the bluetooth connection compared with airplay when you play from tidal hifi?
4) I´m gonna use the poly most of the time at home/work, and only with my headphones. Do you think the price is worth it when I´m not gonna use it with a speaker etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to ask your questions in the dedicated Poly thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/unread

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #35,336 of 42,758
Rob’s goal is ultimate transparency to the source so you need to keep this in mind when he says do not use an amp.

But we also need to like the results, for example I hate the pairing with the HD 650.

Now I am waiting for the Aeon Flow to arrive and due to the good feedback (of Rob too) I hope I will like the results (I like a “full” sound signature).

can i use the mojo to watch movies with a friend?

In HP? Why not? Altought I found it better for music than for movies (but I speaking about Mojo->amp->speakers).
The mojo is correct and this is good for music but for movies it’s funnier to have a more inaccurate device, weirdly this is my taste.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #35,337 of 42,758

Thanks in advance.
Assuming you get Poly with no issues. New ones are reported to work with no issues. I have old one poly but it also works very stable. In my case spotify over airplay from iPhone six to Mojopoly works flawlessly either over i phone hot spot or wifi. No dropouts i was driving severaltimes using Mojopoly in the car throughout Poland and it worked very stable. You can use also Mojopoly hot spot to listen to downloaded spotify TIDAL files
Personal hotspot works the best when no other known wifi networks are available.
Mojopoly Blutoof works but i do not use it.
Mojopoly use is dedicated to headphones but it also works great as mainsystem dac/pre. It imho works great in terms of sound quality for Mojo. It will be easier to operate in particular in terms of internal sd card when gofigure app will be released which hope is letter of days.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #35,338 of 42,758

i got the 1

I got the 100MHz speed from this vid:

maybe that's what people are referring to when they talk about the speed? the speed of the oscillators?

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #35,339 of 42,758
But we also need to like the results, for example I hate the pairing with the HD 650.

Yes. You cherry picked the part of my quote out of context.

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #35,340 of 42,758
can i use the mojo to watch movies with a friend?
Yes, both the headphone sockets are connected to the same DAC output, so you can plug two sets of headphones in, and two people can then listen to the same music/movie etc.
Use an optical cable plugged into the optical output of your TV/Bluray player/AV , and then connected to the optical input of the Mojo. Mojo can only decode plain stereo, so you don't get 5.1 or other fancy processing like dolby, but that is not an showstopper when wearing headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back