Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 17, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #34,816 of 42,759
I have all of the exact same behavior as you. I haven't gotten the new one back but the dealer assures me it's from newest stock just in for the holiday so we'll see - if it has the same behavior I'll return the unit for a full refund.

Do you remember the beginning of your serial?

I also ask to my seller some days more to return it in order to understand better the situation.

If the issue is only the loud whining in the last 6 minutes of a full charge, I could live with it. Probably.

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #34,817 of 42,759
Please give a look of the whining Mojo:
sendanywhe.re/MCTM0HGY

PS: a found two differents set of drivers for Windows 10, one from the Chord site and another from the "www.chordmojo.com" site.

Chord site - Windows-10-Driver.zip
Chord site - Windows10_Creators_Driver768kHz.zip

www.chordmojo.com - setup_win10_768.zip

It seem the one from the www.chordmojo.com site is the sum of the two on the Chord site.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #34,818 of 42,759
Hi, been on Head Fi for several years and decided to give the Mojo a shot, to drive my Focal Clear and CIEMs. I’ve been trying to replicate the issues reported, I can not. Even with my iPhone 6+ attached, and charging the Mojo via the extension, even speaking on the phone while they remain attached. I get deep a black background.

Additionally, I’m not getting a “whinnying” sound when charging, hope I’m not cursing myself .

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #34,819 of 42,759
I have the mojo and love its sound. The only thing I wish it had is a bass boost. Chord really needs to come out with an app to use with the mojo and Poly with an eq.

Really? Chord is a traditional hifi company where the aim is to produce high quality sound. Rob has stated that with his Chord DACs, his aim is to re-produce the original Analogue signal. If you want more bass than was originally intended on your recording, it's easy to buy a non neutral bass-heavy headphone.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #34,820 of 42,759
Hi, been on Head Fi for several years and decided to give the Mojo a shot, to drive my Focal Clear and CIEMs. I’ve been trying to replicate the issues reported, I can not. Even with my iPhone 6+ attached, and charging the Mojo via the extension, even speaking on the phone while they remain attached. I get deep a black background.

Additionally, I’m not getting a “whinnying” sound when charging, hope I’m not cursing myself .

What's your serial number beginning?

About the "whining" hissing during the Mojo charging, I report that it is only in the last 6 minutes of a full charges, before the charging led turn off. That whining is very loud to me. On all the other charge cycle it's totally mute.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #34,821 of 42,759
I mentioned earlier having bought a new amplifier and speakers. However there's writing on the circuit board of the Rega Brio (2107) amplifier that I bought, "I've been fettled with a drop of Mojo". Sorry but I can't work out how to upload image, but you can see the picture on this page. The text is written near the far right large capacitor. https://soundorg.com/blog/rega-brio-2017-stereophile-review

(Haha, how could any Mojo user resist?)

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #34,822 of 42,759

About the "whining" hissing during the Mojo charging, I report that it is only in the last 6 minutes of a full charges, before the charging led turn off. That whining is very loud to me. On all the other charge cycle it's totally mute.

I’m not sure if you’ve read the third post of this thread (as the title suggests) but there’s information there regarding the charging noise. Some units seems to be unaffected, but that may also be because different people use different cables and chargers.

Originally Posted by Rob Watts /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem is a noisy USB VBUS power line, & this makes the inductors in Mojo vibrate. Also, some USB cables have high resistance, & this makes the problem worse - so using a different cable can make the mechanical noise go away. The PSU itself can make it better or worse. Don't worry about it if you hear the noise, Mojo is not faulty & will continue to be reliable.

Rob
It's normal - it is the charging regulator going into low power mode. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong.

Rob

If the audible hiss (this should be only at the end of the charging cycle when in trickle charge mode) bothers you, then by all means leave it on. It's perfectly OK to do this.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #34,823 of 42,759
I’m not sure if you’ve read the third post of this thread (as the title suggests) but there’s information there regarding the charging noise. Some units seems to be unaffected, but that may also be because different people use different cables and chargers.

I read that posts very much but the third of your quotes was missed by me. My bad.

You saved my day.

My only doubts is now that the whining at the end of the charging cycle is made also on different cables and different chargers (three!), so, logically should be something that should affect everyone here but it seem doesn’t.

But now I think I can continue in testing and enjoying it instead of thinking that I have a defective unit.

I wonder what @GrassGrott thinks about those quotes (with my same issue).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #34,824 of 42,759

Apologies for the delayed response, my serial number begins with M0552xx.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #34,825 of 42,759
I wonder what @GrussGott thinks about those quotes (with my same issue).

Well, I've already seen them. As I said earlier, the CEO said it was problem with only a few units and it was fixed, then more time and no fix and, blah blah, and Rob says normal. So good normal or annoying normal or bad normal?

I think everyone has to make their call on the sound quality, build quality, warranty, and any issues experienced vs cost.

The Mojo is a unique device, there's really nothing else like it, but it's also far from perfect so you just have to decide - there's no "right" call.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #34,826 of 42,759
Well, I've already seen them. As I said earlier, the CEO said it was problem with only a few units and it was fixed, then more time and no fix and, blah blah, and Rob says normal. So good normal or annoying normal or bad normal?

I think everyone has to make their call on the sound quality, build quality, warranty, and any issues experienced vs cost.

The Mojo is a unique device, there's really nothing else like it, but it's also far from perfect so you just have to decide - there's no "right" call.

I wonder if you are referring to reports of a loud hiss / noise that could be heard through the headphones (not just very low impedance headphones) that was in some early units. I had a tour unit that suffered from that anomaly and it was fixed for the rest of the tour. That issue was identified and fixed, but a few got out in the wild. I don’t think I’ve ever read that John said the charging coil whine was changed (and I’ve read every post of this thread from the beginning). There has been some confusion between these two different hissing/noise/whining sounds before.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #34,827 of 42,759
I wonder if you are referring to reports of a loud hiss / noise that could be heard through the headphones (not just very low impedance headphones) that was in some early units. I had a tour unit that suffered from that anomaly and it was fixed for the rest of the tour. That issue was identified and fixed, but a few got out in the wild. I don’t think I’ve ever read that John said the charging coil whine was changed (and I’ve read every post of this thread from the beginning). There has been some confusion between these two different hissing/noise/whining sounds before.

Could be, I'm too lazy to go find it, bottom line is the end-of-cycle charging whine lasts about 10 minutes for me and it has zero to do with USB cords or chargers because I have many very high quality ones with intelligent voltage regulation, filtering, etc and the charging whine is instant no matter which cords, charger, outlet combination is used. Hey, maybe it's "normal" but it's weird and annoying, especially if some units have it and some don't.

Yet another idiosyncrasy of this device - I can't think of another product I've had in quite some time that has this many quirks ...

Overall that's usually a feature of very high-end things: they're either quirky in how they operate or how they deliver, but in exchange you get high performance ...

For me, though, I just don't find that to be the case with the Mojo. It's got a cool design and a unique sound, but not a WAY WAY better sound (or potentially even "better"), and the Mojo's operating quirks are many.

I'll likely wait for the Mojo 2 and hope they fix all this stuff, otherwise I'm going to classify them with other great flawed British products like the 1970s Jaguars

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #34,828 of 42,759
@GrussGott, no denying that it exists and that it’s a quirky behaviour. Each person will have to make the choice about how they want to accept it.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #34,829 of 42,759
I don't know what is meant by whine. I have heard humms out of an outlet, but it was the same for another device out of the same outlet. But, with a different outlet I have not heard the hum, but it was out of a different charger, a samsung charger. The other one was a verizon one.

Only way to know if it's the filtering is to try both chargers on the two different outlets located at different places.

One thing I'd say is that with my AK240, when I touch the chasis, it goes away, and this tells me I'm grounding it. I think the headphone out connection is picking up the humm.

With my desktop USB connection, I've heard noisy line which was amplified to my powered speakers. I use optical due to this.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #34,830 of 42,759
I don't know what is meant by whine.

It's a loud whine with a tinny jet-engine kind of sound that's loud enough to hear on a separate floor of your house if other things are quiet, and it's coming from the Mojo itself, not speakers (course there's the EMI issue, that's another issue)

It sounds like this: weeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE[10minutes]EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeeee over the course of last 10 minutes of the charging cycle.

That's how I first heard it - was getting ready for bed on the 2nd level of a house and heard this low volume whine ... I thought it might be a water pipe issue or something outside. I started searching all over the house and eventually discovered it was the Mojo and it was sitting all by itself on a desk in an office with the only connection being the USB charging cable. It was quite loud and noticeable in that room. I was super surprised because it's such a small device with no speaker but that thing is LOUD. Course I freaked out thinking it was going to start a fire (cause as we all know it gets pretty hot) and the next day did a bunch of research and found out it was "normal".

After a bunch of experimenting I could repeat the whine every time - again, just the Mojo and a charging cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back