Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 8, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #34,681 of 42,759
I seem to recall Rob Watts liking the JitterBug, I think with the Mojo, too.

I have a question though. Is the need for JitterBug removed when using one of Chord's DACs that have galvanic isolation?

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #34,682 of 42,759
I seem to recall Rob Watts liking the JitterBug, I think with the Mojo, too.

I have a question though. Is the need for JitterBug removed when using one of Chord's DACs that have galvanic isolation?

Watt's tried it out with the Dave. He noticed an improvement with the Jitterbug and Dave, and the Dave has proper isolation.

YMMW in the subjective world of audiophile's

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #34,683 of 42,759
Watt's tried it out with the Dave. He noticed an improvement with the Jitterbug and Dave, and the Dave has proper isolation.

YMMW in the subjective world of audiophile's

Thank you Mython. I think I might as well just try one. (I also know that What Hi-Fi like the JitterBug.)

I am wrangling over maybe buying another DAC right now; a Chord one of course, (well duh). ...... Whether or not to get one with galvanic isolation.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #34,685 of 42,759
I will take the advice and I will listen to the Mojo everyday, iPhone, Tidal, HD650.

My afraid is about its "power" on the HD650 300ohm that maybe is not too much to drive them as they want to be.

Just initial thoughts yet.

I can say with confidence the Mojo drives the HD650's gorgeously.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #34,686 of 42,759
I can say with confidence the Mojo drives the HD650's gorgeously.

Good for me, I still testing it (4th day), it did two full charges since I received (new).

Thoughts:

- Still miss "impact" and "dynamic" in some drums part of songs that I know very well

- Every some minutes (say 15/20) I need to increase a little the volume (two/three clicks), don't know why

- It works good also as dac for my main living room system, surpriced very good for music and less for movies (the Asus Xonar E1 seem better for this)

I'm still in the break-in time (hardware or brain still don't know yet).

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #34,687 of 42,759
For those who are new to the Mojo, based upon personal experience, it is my opinion that a "minimum" of 24-hrs. of break-in with medium volume music is required to realize it's best sound potential. Also, after breaking it in, I highly recommend that one warms it up for a "minimum" of 10-min. with medium volume music before critically listening to it. This, of course, is coming from a cold state.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #34,688 of 42,759
For those who are new to the Mojo, based upon personal experience, it is my opinion that a "minimum" of 24-hrs. of break-in with medium volume music is required to realize it's best sound potential. Also, after breaking it in, I highly recommend that one warms it up for a "minimum" of 10-min. with medium volume music before critically listening to it. This, of course, is coming from a cold state.

Between your iPhone 6 and the AQ cable (I will buy it soon) do you have the Apple camera cable, right?

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #34,689 of 42,759
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #34,690 of 42,759
Good for me, I still testing it (4th day), it did two full charges since I received (new).

Thoughts:

- Still miss "impact" and "dynamic" in some drums part of songs that I know very well

- Every some minutes (say 15/20) I need to increase a little the volume (two/three clicks), don't know why

- It works good also as dac for my main living room system, surpriced very good for music and less for movies (the Asus Xonar E1 seem better for this)

I'm still in the break-in time (hardware or brain still don't know yet).
Firstly, which types of music do you prefer to listen to?

Switching now to an iems analogy.
I have the Mojo and Hugo 2.
At the start of the year, I had several pairs of beyer headphones (best of all i liked the sound from the Tesla headphone drivers), and purchased some AKT8ie Mk2 iems (beyer built, AK tuned). On Head-Fi I was advised that the T8ie can initially sound slightly light in the bass department, compared to the other beyer headphones, but that after a period of use I would have grown accustomed to the T8ie bass (very precise and revealing, but lacking the bass boom of many consumer iems).
The advice proved correct, and my brain/ears became accustomed to the T8ie.
I do wonder if you with your Mojo are experiencing the initial stage of growing accustomed to the bass sound signature.
Please don't reject the Mojo immediately, because given a bit more aclimatisation, you could grow to love the sound signature.
If after an extended period of listening, you still don't like the sound signature, then at least you have given the Mojo 'a fair chance'.

I too find that the Mojo works well as a source for my living room system.
I don't worry too much about whether it is perfect for movies, because movie soundtracks have been subjected to so much DSP, that i doubt there is much real 'sound/music' left to hear.
:relaxed:

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #34,691 of 42,759
Firstly, which types of music do you prefer to listen to?

I do wonder if you with your Mojo are experiencing the initial stage of growing accustomed to the bass sound signature.
Please don't reject the Mojo immediately, because given a bit more aclimatisation, you could grow to love the sound signature.
If after an extended period of listening, you still don't like the sound signature, then at least you have given the Mojo 'a fair chance'.

I too find that the Mojo works well as a source for my living room system.
I don't worry too much about whether it is perfect for movies, because movie soundtracks have been subjected to so much DSP, that i doubt there is much real 'sound/music' left to hear.
:relaxed:

About the music I hear, in hearphones mostly modern prog-metal, then some grunge, rock and pop mostly 90's, then Beatles, Police, Yes. Few hip-hop and r'n'b especially from 90's. Instead in the living room (speakers) I also listen to some dance and electronic music (ala Duft Punk for example).

So variuous kind.

In the main setup, as only dac, the Mojo is brillant and I don't need to "break-in", it destroy in every field my Asus E1. I also notice that the "roll off highs" are also present here but not a problem, less fatiguing listening from the metal tweeter of my B&W 685 S2 is welcome... but the detail is all there. The music "breathe" more and in albums I listened millions of times (I just listened Scenes From a Memory by Dream Theater) not a single note out of place, very crisp and clear acoustic guitars, drums so high detailed and some instruments I never notice in the past.

Now, as you said, I will give it chances for headphones too. I don't blame it for the bass that is "smaller" than the E1 on the HD650, what I blame is a lack of "impact" in some parts that I was used to hear with the E1 that here seem missing.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #34,692 of 42,759
About the music I hear, in hearphones mostly modern prog-metal, then some grunge, rock and pop mostly 90's, then Beatles, Police, Yes. Few hip-hop and r'n'b especially from 90's. Instead in the living room (speakers) I also listen to some dance and electronic music (ala Duft Punk for example).

So variuous kind.

In the main setup, as only dac, the Mojo is brillant and I don't need to "break-in", it destroy in every field my Asus E1. I also notice that the "roll off highs" are also present here but not a problem, less fatiguing listening from the metal tweeter of my B&W 685 S2 is welcome... but the detail is all there. The music "breathe" more and in albums I listened millions of times (I just listened Scenes From a Memory by Dream Theater) not a single note out of place, very crisp and clear acoustic guitars, drums so high detailed and some instruments I never notice in the past.

Now, as you said, I will give it chances for headphones too. I don't blame it for the bass that is "smaller" than the E1 on the HD650, what I blame is a lack of "impact" in some parts that I was used to hear with the E1 that here seem missing.
Interesting reply.
I bought the Steve Wilson remixes of Close to the edge, Relayer and Tales of Topograhic Oceans, and Mojo and Hugo 2 do make them sound like completely new albums.
I also listen to a friends internet radio show broadcasting alternative rock, something that i would not have listened to twenty years ago, and Mojo and Hugo 2 enable me to hear so much detail in the tracks, that each week I identify bands to explore further.
I also am thinking of exploring Daft Punk. I remember just a few years ago when they were on every billboard at every railway station in France, but now I am starting to think that all the marketing hype etc has died down, and that Mojo can allow me to explore the music properly. :relaxed:

Dec 9, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #34,694 of 42,759
My only opinion of bit-depth and sample rate: as long as it matches the source, it's going to sound fine. 44.1KHz is far more than enough fidelity for the physical limits of human hearing, the issue is only when resampling happens because artifacts pop up.

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #34,695 of 42,759
Interesting reply.
I bought the Steve Wilson remixes of Close to the edge, Relayer and Tales of Topograhic Oceans, and Mojo and Hugo 2 do make them sound like completely new albums.
I also listen to a friends internet radio show broadcasting alternative rock, something that i would not have listened to twenty years ago, and Mojo and Hugo 2 enable me to hear so much detail in the tracks, that each week I identify bands to explore further.
I also am thinking of exploring Daft Punk. I remember just a few years ago when they were on every billboard at every railway station in France, but now I am starting to think that all the marketing hype etc has died down, and that Mojo can allow me to explore the music properly. :relaxed:

Wilson is an audiophile so I can imagine those remastered high quality (and Close to the edge is already very good in original mixed, so it will be even greater).

Duft Punk makes every setup “to sing”, very complete mixings from bottom ends to highs.

The Mojo already won a stable place in the living room setup (roon/amp/speakers) and now I continuing testing for headphones (iphone/tidal), for now pro and cons with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back