1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. GrussGott
    So is your question is the Mojo going to be a weaker link in the chain than the CCA? Then no, it won't, so go for it if you can get the input right.

I'm guessing soon enough DACs will have wifi receivers and those won't be expensive so I don't think it has much to do with cost personally. I'm all for goog stuff.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Hooster
    Me too, but this is the nature of the internet. All the best to you, and thank you for all your great work.

bikutoru likes this.
  3. RiseFall123
    Hi,

how the Mojo perform for movies?

I want to insert it in my regular hifi setup, I have a 2.1 system based on Roksan K3 amp and B&W 685 S2 speakers and sub.

Once, hopefully, it will give me more performance with music than my actual dac (Asus Essence One USB), I wondering how it will do with movies because I like to switch music to movies very fast and don't want to change dac every moment.

Other questions:

1) it’s ok with Windows 10? Many people (not here) complain about the driver.

2) How Roon or foobar sees it? Asio or wasapi only?

4. miketlse
    I can't answer all your questions, but here goes:
    1 - there are quite a few posts on this thread, from mojo owners using it for movies. Both the headphone outputs, are connected to the same DAC output, so you use one headphone output to feed the stereo amp, and the other headphone output to feed the analogue input to the subwoofer (so the subwoofer needs to have analogue in, plus its own volume control).
    I don't have a subwoofer, but I do connect my TV optical output to either my Mojo or Hugo 2, and then feed the output to a stereo amp.
    You already have award winning amp and speakers, so I assume that you like the overall sound signature. The Asus will already enable you to have an improved sound performance, than using the default of the speakers on your TV.
    Will you prefer the sound performance provided by the Mojo? Based on two years of posts on this thread, I believe that you probably will, however I have not physically compared the two DACs, so this is just my opinion. As always it is a good idea if you can borrow a Mojo from a dealer/friend, and try it in your system for a few hours, to help you make your decision.
    2 - Windows 10 drivers. The full update process is Win 10 driver, then install the Win 10 Creators Edition on top (both available from the Chord website). There were a few issues, but I think those were due to either owners not installing the Chord driver, or installing the Win CE driver without installing the Win 10 driver first. I don't remember any posts about Win 10 drivers for quite a while, so I assume that the drivers are now stable and mature, and no longer causing issues.
    3 - Foobar. I use Foobar2000 without any issues. The setup advice from post #3 is:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-798#post-12372725
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-876#post-12417607
    4 - Sorry I don't use Roon, so cannot help there.

Wildcatsare1 and Light - Man like this.
  5. RiseFall123
    Thank you for the brillant answer.

I am reading those posts too.

About the sub, I nevet thought about connecting it to the second mojo output, usually i use the preout output rca of the amp.

6. miketlse
    You can continue to use the pre-out if you prefer. Some owners have amps without a pre-out, so they have to use the Mojo second headphone output.

7. Rudivanb
    Good to hear it works for you as well. Because it turns out the battery is still fine, this makes me wonder if something is wrong with the electronics 'controlling' the battery?

8. miketlse
  9. GreenBow
    I don't know, maybe it's a neat way to recondition the battery that you have discovered.

Yeah but why should this method be any better than just letting the Mojo go flat playing music. That doesn't reassert/correct battery life.

10. miketlse

11. RiseFall123
    Hi,

the mojo alone can really compete with desktop amps hwen driving high impedance headphones?

I read opposite thoughts about it around...

12. Mython Contributor

Yes, you may find that contradictory opinions are common, in Hi-Fi, 99.9999999999999% of the time.

....actually, after further consideration, I think, perhaps, the above is incorrect.

Contradictory opinions are common, in Hi-Fi, even more often than that :wink:

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  13. miketlse
    I agree with @Mython - the debate about 'does mojo have enough power to drive all headphones?', does reveal several different viewpoints, often 180 degrees opposed to each other.
    The Mojo specifications do show that in theory it should produce enough power to run virtually all headphones, to eardrum bursting sound pressures - and yet some owners still firmly state that that their headphones sound underpowered.
    The nearest that you will get to consensus, is that many owners will agree that there are a small group of headphones that are 'difficult to drive properly'.
    The reasons why those headphones are 'difficult to drive properly' is the area where the real disagreement starts to surface.
    I don't own any of the 'difficult to drive properly' headphones, so I have no personal experience to comment about.

14. RiseFall123
    My HD650 is difficult to drive that’s why I ask.

15. miketlse
    The hd600, hd700, hd800 etc are generally regarded as easy to drive.
    What symptoms are you experiencing, that make you believe that they are difficult to drive?

Zojokkeli, Deftone and Hooster like this.