Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 19, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #34,396 of 42,765
Watt hours is a measurement of energy storage capacity. You can estimate the W-h by dividing the mAh figure by 1000 times the output voltage (5V for USB).
Sorry @Leo- but you mixed up.

Power Capacity in Watts per Hour = Ampers per Hour * Voltage
1000 mA per hour = 1A per hour

Battery manufacturers very often only provide half of the parameters, usually the current per hour is provided in mAH for bigger values. But alone, without mention of the cell voltage or type as well as how many cells are in serial you can not figure out the power per hour the battery is able to provide. Anyway, dealing with zenpower Li-Ion 10050 mAh the cell voltage is rated at 3.6V (capacity specification).
Then 10.05*3.6=36 Watts per hour.
This value is a theoritical max. You may apply a safety merit coefficient of 0.7 or 70% for taking into account battery efficiency and lower down the optimal values provided. This will bring an estimated power capacity of 36 * 0.7 = 25 Watts per Hour

Rob Watts specifies that Mojo`s battery have a capacity of 14W-h and need at least 18.5W-h to be fully charged..
Therefore @Andreeas1978 battery has enough capacity to charge Mojo.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #34,397 of 42,765
Sorry you're right (P=Vi), the post edit didn't go through for some reason.

Edit: I meant to say to first divide the mAh by 1000 and then multiply the result by 5 or whatever voltage :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #34,398 of 42,765
Sorry @Leo- but you mixed up.

Power Capacity in Watts per Hour = Ampers per Hour * Voltage
1000 mA per hour = 1A per hour

Battery manufacturers very often only provide half of the parameters, usually the current per hour is provided in mAH for bigger values. But alone, without mention of the cell voltage or type as well as how many cells are in serial you can not figure out the power per hour the battery is able to provide. Anyway, dealing with zenpower Li-Ion 10050 mAh the cell voltage is rated at 3.6V (capacity specification).
Then 10.05*3.6=36 Watts per hour.
This value is a theoritical max. You may apply a safety merit coefficient of 0.7 or 70% for taking into account battery efficiency and lower down the optimal values provided. This will bring an estimated power capacity of 36 * 0.7 = 25 Watts per Hour

Rob Watts specifies that Mojo`s battery have a capacity of 14W-h and need at least 18.5W-h to be fully charged..
Therefore @Andreeas1978 battery has enough capacity to charge Mojo.

Many thanks, Arpiben!!

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #34,399 of 42,765
Guys, I am somewhat curious about the Chord Mojo and have been looking at it for the last year, but still haven't bought one yet. I haven't been on Head-fi much lately, but it's now the end of 2017. Is the Chord Mojo still relevant?

Do we foresee a Chord Mojo 2 coming out soon?

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #34,401 of 42,765
Guys, I am somewhat curious about the Chord Mojo and have been looking at it for the last year, but still haven't bought one yet. I haven't been on Head-fi much lately, but it's now the end of 2017. Is the Chord Mojo still relevant?

I absolutely believe the Mojo is still relevant. Better than that, I think it’s better for me than Hugo2 in overall balance (not as detailed, but see my comparison review for more detail:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19256).

With the addition of Poly, which I am listening to now as a Roon endpoint, it’s fantastic. The Poly shows the benefit of the Mojo “platform.” This is the upgrade, not any change to the Mojo as dac/amp, but the extension of features.

I don’t see a Mojo2 dac until there is a significant upgrade in available hardware into which to put Rob’s next upgraded code. But, as noted above, I might not necessarily just want Hugo2 in a Mojo form factor.

I would not hesitate to recommend Mojo to anyone.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #34,402 of 42,765

There’s no Mojo2 on the horizon, and won’t be for quite some time...

No it's not even at the pre ideas stage yet. Mojo's sound quality and musicality, at it's price point, I think is perfect, and you can't improve on perfection... What I mean by this, is that anything I can possibly do today to improve musicality or SQ would cost many more $$$ - and that would defeat the point of Mojo.

Mojo is the design I celebrate the most - getting state of the art measurements, sound quality, and musicality in a cost effective design is not easy...

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #34,403 of 42,765

So probably no Mojo 2 coming out, so it's relevant if you want it for what it is: a very small mobile DAC/amp that might be somewhat sensitive to EMI if it's near your phone. Many have tried to use it as a desktop DAC and that's caused battery failure issues for them, so it really depends on your use-case:

(1.) If you're looking for primarily a desktop DAC/amp, it's not the right fit for the $$ IMO. First, it's not going to have the power of a desktop system, and second, you can get an excellent Mimby/Magni3 stack for $350 or add a few hundred and get the Woo Audio WA7 DAC/amp if you want beautiful ... and third there are many other choices like Audio-GD, massdrop specials, etc ... or you can go even cheaper with a Topping D30/A30 stack or SMSL. In short, you're paying for size in the Mojo and not using it in a desktop setting and you can get equal or better (or much better) for equal or less, and if you're looking for design for a few hundred more you can get that too.

(2.) If you're looking for portable / transportable, it should be on the short list.
It's a good or great DAC, can drive most headphones, and it's small ... but it can be sensitive to electro-magnetic interference, i.e., your cell phone might cause a slight to loud buzz, so it's probably not the thing to rubber-band to your phone. However if you need more transportable, i.e., you set it up at your desk at work, listen all day, hide it in a drawer for lunch, then take it home and listen more there, it's great for that. But there are competitors like the iFi micro DSD black label (if you wait you can find them for ~$400), the new micro version of that, and some others (e.g., geek out, Fiiio, etc). For me it would come down to the Mojo and Ifis.

Personally I just got one as the first thing to start building my headphone system - I auditioned lots of things, but the combination of its form factor, great sound, and coolness (if you like the design) is great for me. But I also got 2 sets of HPs (hd600s, th-x00) and the Jotunheim, following the spending priorities: headphones > amp > dac > cables / ICs / balanced. In short, you can buy, say, new Senn HD650s and a Mimby/M3 stack for the same price as just the new Mojo, so you have to decide what your priority is and if you're cash strapped or looking for the most for a limited dollar it looks less attractive. If, OTOH, you have a decent budget, need a portable/transportable option and like the design then it's great.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #34,404 of 42,765
With all this talk about Mojo2, what feature(s) would you like?

For me I think its a close run thing between two options, which are really opposites:

1. Same features/specs but with better battery life (20 hours would be great :) ) then I can use Mojo for a few days between recharges.
2. Integrated Poly features.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #34,405 of 42,765
With all this talk about Mojo2, what feature(s) would you like?

(1.) Fix the price
(2.) Fix the EMI problem
(3.) Fix the battery problem
(4.) Fix the port build quality
(5.) Add a USB de-crapifier and more outputs

They did a good thing dropping the price $70, and it can be tricky to price drop for used market, etc, but this is a $400 device, not $530 and definitely not $600.

Mojo 2 should be a ground up rebuild in exterior and they could fix some things with the software / sound character (rolled off sub-bass, FR, etc), as well as add the poly features.

That would be a $600 device (the market is too crowded now to support a second Mojo $600 lightening strike)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #34,406 of 42,765
They did a good thing dropping the price $70, and it can be tricky to price drop for used market, etc, but this is a $400 device, not $530 and definitely not $600.

How could you possibly know the price of Mojo? It’s not just hardware, but software, too. Other companies have successfully charged a premium for their “hardware” simply because their software was perceived as better (I.e., Apple). You may not need the difference or want to pay for it, but Mojo isn’t just assembled hardware. And we could not know the cost of Rob’s IP/software.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #34,407 of 42,765
How could you possibly know the price of Mojo?

It's an estimation of fair price based on comparables like the iFi DSD BL, which you can get for $400 if you shop around and iFi's new offering (nano, $200, same size/function as the Mojo), among others and the used market. People can always choose to pay more for a brand, but Chord is not Apple, and this market is quickly turning from blue to red ocean ... which is why Chord lowered the price $71, which is how I know.

A company can play the it's-built-by-elves-from-unicorn-fur card one time, and they've played it.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #34,408 of 42,765
You have to be having a laugh or kidding me right?

You can't compare Mojo to any chip based DAC at any price based upon the technology employed (facts not magic) or it's measured performance (it out measures any other DAC at any price again facts not magic). I could go on about the sound and musical qualities, but that is a subjective opinion. But Mojo has won more awards than any other DAC (facts not magic).

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #34,409 of 42,765
You have to be having a laugh or kidding me right?

You can't compare Mojo to any chip based DAC at any price based upon the technology employed (facts not magic) or it's measured performance (it out measures any other DAC at any price again facts not magic). I could go on about the sound and musical qualities, but that is a subjective opinion. But Mojo has won more awards than any other DAC (facts not magic).
I subscribe to this! You cannot compare the best netbook let`s say, no matter how modern or expensive, with a real PC. Mojo is a different product, different principles, different class (of it`s own actually.) I`ve had a few DACs, DAC AMPS, good specs, Sabre cips, etc, but when I went to test Mojo with my Sennheiser gear I couldn`t lie to myself. I wasn`t planning to buy anything but ended up buying Mojo and now Poly. Take your time, listen to good headsets that you also know and see the detail, musicality, organic bass impact, like big valve amps. Then decide.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #34,410 of 42,765
It's an estimation of fair price based on comparables like the iFi DSD BL, which you can get for $400 if you shop around and iFi's new offering (nano, $200, same size/function as the Mojo), among others and the used market. People can always choose to pay more for a brand, but Chord is not Apple, and this market is quickly turning from blue to red ocean ... which is why Chord lowered the price $71, which is how I know.

I'd agree that the iDSD MICRO Black Label is probably the best competing device to the Mojo. Even though it is a chip based dac/amp that may not measure as well as the Mojo, it also sounds great (as does the Mojo) and allows you to tweak the sound to your liking (if you are into that sort of thing and/or your gear needs a lil boost in the bass, etc). Ultimately, like many things audiophile, it comes down to preferred sound signatures and system synergy.

However, as exciting a product as it is, it is a stretch to say the NANO Black Label is comparable. Doesn't have the output power, multiple digital inputs, etc that the Micro and Mojo have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back