Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #34,216 of 42,765
This is a pretty big subject and there is a lot of material available online. I think an in depth comparison of Mojo/Hugo and 2Qute might be beyond the scope of this thread. If you can try a 2Qute, by all means do. Have fun! :)
R
With the right cables, Mojo, Hugo and 2Qute can all be used as preamps. I am not sure how Hugo behaves if the battery dies.

With over 34k posts, nothing is beyond the scope of this thread. Even though 17,000 of them are about the dac vs amp section of Mojo.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #34,217 of 42,765
and i thought they were one and the same??:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::o2smile:

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #34,218 of 42,765
As a noob to Hifi stuff and the mojo I'm enjoying it as it's a unique piece of kit ...

... but with all of the seeming innovation in it (taps and upsampling, FPGA, etc), why is it so susceptible to cell phone interference?? It's a mobile device first and foremost, so this seems like a huge violation of its primary claim to the throne. Granted it's not a big deal for my use cases but still, that's a pretty big miss.

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #34,219 of 42,765
As a noob to Hifi stuff and the mojo I'm enjoying it as it's a unique piece of kit ...

... but with all of the seeming innovation in it (taps and upsampling, FPGA, etc), why is it so susceptible to cell phone interference?? It's a mobile device first and foremost, so this seems like a huge violation of its primary claim to the throne. Granted it's not a big deal for my use cases but still, that's a pretty big miss.

Been reading a lot about this, but I've never had the problem myself, using both Samsung s4 and Samsung note 5 as sources... Is it iPhones only which interfere?

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #34,220 of 42,765
lets hope the big telecomm operators give more consideration to where they place their masts in the future. maybe localised surveys to predetermine the mojo users out there?:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #34,221 of 42,765

Have you tried encasing the Mojo in tin foil? :smiling_imp:

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #34,223 of 42,765
The Hugo's RCA out is tied to the headphone out. Again, no separate amp section.
I've been watching for a few videos, such as The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel, Mojo review 2:25 minute mark and Hans mentioned that if you power on device while holding both volume buttons, it enters mode when headphone outs act like line level mode with different voltage mode.

and another one
InnerFidelity CES 2014 Hugo presentation 2:42 minute mark, where Chord representative told that there Hugo has mode to use RCA outs as "straight reference DAC section" with bypassing volume control.

So basically its what you called "volume preset" and reviewers just haven't mentioned simplicity of amp section and called it "straight DAC section" ?

EDIT: and to be on a safe side just ordered 2Qute as well, to have all 3 devices compared side by side

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #34,224 of 42,765
a Nexus 5 with WiFi, bluetooth, and LTE (via Project Fi so not sure which carrier) all on. Hardwire connection was a USB-C OTG plugged into a 1' Anker Powerline+ micro-USB to the Mojo.

Once it's all plugged in, if my N5 is within 6" or so of the Mojo with no music playing I hear faint but distinct interference which is easily repeatable, by which I mean it's never not happened.

Now, for me, this isn't a big deal because I don't rubberband my phone to the mojo and if there was music playing and I was on the go I'd probably never hear it. But is the solution the Poly? And speaking of that, if the cell phone causes interference, will the Poly?

It's a big miss for a mobile device, but nothing more than a few % impactful to me. Still annoying though.

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #34,225 of 42,765
a Nexus 5 with WiFi, bluetooth, and LTE (via Project Fi so not sure which carrier) all on. Hardwire connection was a USB-C OTG plugged into a 1' Anker Powerline+ micro-USB to the Mojo.

Once it's all plugged in, if my N5 is within 6" or so of the Mojo with no music playing I hear faint but distinct interference which is easily repeatable, by which I mean it's never not happened.

Now, for me, this isn't a big deal because I don't rubberband my phone to the mojo and if there was music playing and I was on the go I'd probably never hear it. But is the solution the Poly? And speaking of that, if the cell phone causes interference, will the Poly?

It's a big miss for a mobile device, but nothing more than a few % impactful to me. Still annoying though.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1284#post-12685665

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #34,226 of 42,765
I've been watching for a few videos, such as The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel, Mojo review 2:25 minute mark and Hans mentioned that if you power on device while holding both volume buttons, it enters mode when headphone outs act like line level mode with different voltage mode.

InnerFidelity CES 2014 Hugo presentation 2:42 minute mark, where Chord representative told that there Hugo has mode to use RCA outs as "straight reference DAC section" with bypassing volume control.

Yes, these and many more videos are listed in post #3

There are also various quotes about the volume-preset function, for line-out purposes, in related sections of post #3.

So basically its what you called "volume preset" and reviewers just haven't mentioned simplicity of amp section and called it "straight DAC section" ?

Yes.

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #34,227 of 42,765

The mojo does not have a separate DAC and Amp which means that every output from the device is amplified. The line out mode simply locks the level of amplification, ie, volume, so you can use that level for something without worrying about accidentally bumping the volume.

Here's an example:
* You duct tape the volume knob of your desktop amp on "3" so it can't be rotated
* You use a male-male headphone patch cable to plug the headphone output of your amp into the line in of your bluetooth speaker
* You use the bluetooth's volume buttons to control the volume.

Think what would happen if you really cranked up the volume of the BT speaker and then your buddy ripped off the duct tape and cranked up the desktop amp. Answer: boom.

So to prevent *boom*, the Mojo locks the volume.

At this point, it's also important for me to mention that I pretty much have no fecking idea what I'm talking about so I'd take all that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #34,229 of 42,765

and another one

EDIT: and to be on a safe side just ordered 2Qute as well, to have all 3 devices compared side by side

There has been a great deal of confusion regarding this, and no credit to Hans for not being clear. I often find his reviews superficial and lacking in deep understanding.

The Chord devices can be considered "straight dac" no matter what volume you set them to.

The so called line level out is just an arbitrary volume setting. This setting is relatively high, probably to give an advantage when comparing with other devices. I would use a lower setting to avoid the risk of overloading the input of the device downstream.

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #34,230 of 42,765
The mojo does not have a separate DAC and Amp which means that every output from the device is amplified. The line out mode simply locks the level of amplification, ie, volume, so you can use that level for something without worrying about accidentally bumping the volume.
Pretty fair, I was just thinking that this is how every DAC in the world acts, since pre-amp outs of the dacs are amplified in some way to get certain signal level to the further amp section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back