Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 13, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #33,766 of 42,765
Hi Rob, well I'm a huge fan of your designs, but we can still agree to disagree. While I won't say that it is outside of the realm of possibility, if something isn't audible I still struggle to understand how it can shift anything else that is audible enough to become audible? And seeing as how with consumer audio devices we are concerned with hearing acuity such as the average person possesses again, even if this is so, is it meaningful in a practical sense? I guess even you and I shouldn't derail the thread, so I will end with this thought. You are obviously an extremely intelligent and knowledgeable man so I don't presume to lecture you, I'm just making my thoughts known so it doesn't seem that I simply differ for the sake of differing, I try to be thoughtful about doing so.

That doesn't mean that I believe myself to be correct beyond any doubt, I'm not so arrogant as that. Nonetheless, it is common in drug trials, or in trials of psychological therapies that a treatment effect is noted (measureable), nonetheless that effect can be so small as to have no practical significance. Again, I'm not pronouncing that to be the case here; however, I remain skeptical that the average human being has much chance of hearing the levels of RFI/EMI as audible that were being proposed here. Could I be wrong and again have egg on my face, darn straight I could, but I'm not just going to assume something is so. That isn't meant to be obstinate or contrary, just a commitment I make to try and remain consistent in how I approach things. I own the Mojo and loved my time with the Hugo2 during the tour, so again, I say all of these things with the utmost respect for your science and your craft.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #33,767 of 42,765
Hi Rob, well I'm a huge fan of your designs, but we can still agree to disagree. While I won't say that it is outside of the realm of possibility, if something isn't audible I still struggle to understand how it can shift anything else that is audible enough to become audible? And seeing as how with consumer audio devices we are concerned with hearing acuity such as the average person possesses again, even if this is so, is it meaningful in a practical sense? I guess even you and I shouldn't derail the thread, so I will end with this thought. You are obviously an extremely intelligent and knowledgeable man so I don't presume to lecture you, I'm just making my thoughts known so it doesn't seem that I simply differ for the sake of differing, I try to be thoughtful about doing so.

That doesn't mean that I believe myself to be correct beyond any doubt, I'm not so arrogant as that. Nonetheless, it is common in drug trials, or in trials of psychological therapies that a treatment effect is noted (measureable), nonetheless that effect can be so small as to have no practical significance. Again, I'm not pronouncing that to be the case here; however, I remain skeptical that the average human being has much chance of hearing the levels of RFI/EMI as audible that were being proposed here. Could I be wrong and again have egg on my face, darn straight I could, but I'm not just going to assume something is so. That isn't meant to be obstinate or contrary, just a commitment I make to try and remain consistent in how I approach things. I own the Mojo and loved my time with the Hugo2 during the tour, so again, I say all of these things with the utmost respect for your science and your craft.

I will give an analogy; the audibility threshold tests are a bit like 16 bit audio - 96 dB THD and noise, which frankly is good enough from the threshold POV. But feed a 16 bit signal into a FFT, and then one can see signals well below -130 dB. So too with the brain processing - we should not be fixated on the performance of the ears (96dB) but on the performance of the brain in how it process the data - and science is completely ignorant as to how the brain manages to process audio to separate individual sounds out into discrete entities. My view is the errors are not significant from the ears performance, but are significant in that they degrade the processing ability of the brain.

I guess you heard the SQ difference from Mojo to Hugo 2? But the measurable difference is insignificantly small when compared to the threshold of audibility.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #33,769 of 42,765
I am sure most of you have some reference track when evaluating equipment. This is mine

I use the CD/FLAC version as a reference (the one on youtube sounds rough compared to that, dunno if you could measure it but it just does.). It has a lot of natural sounds/instruments that really sort out the average from the really good.

Sep 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #33,770 of 42,765
i'm listening to andrea bocelli's album passione with mojo and it feels warmer and less analytical than hugo 2 but still capable of digging deep to give life and picking fine detail in his voice. all of this on roon of which my trial is in its second day. roon is a complete transformation to my listening experience akin to a disney world of music information for adults coupled with SQ that equals if not beating the native tidal player. lossless tidal flac integrates seamlessly with roon. the whole experience is heavenly. i actually feel more comfortable with mojo's sound just with no apparent reason. my oppo pm1 flagship headphone arriving saturday. violins sound eerily real via roon. i also switched to optical direct from my imac 27 , 512gb ssd to mojo. not only does this enable me to exploit mojo's most recommended input (and i did compare to usb but with guitar strings on optical reverberating so smoothly like i've never heard before) it also allows me to utilise my imac's graphic card to the full when interacting with roon's UI, metadata, album artwork etc.

i considered something like the aries mini or microrendu but these would have to be tablet controlled putting my imac's 2560 by1440 screen to waste. streaming is very useful but for someone who sits at his desk in front of a large screen to listen it has little value for me. my german kabeldirekt optical cable has so far passed up to 96khz with ease and gold connectors are very nice so well made. this is the point i've reached in my dac journey. mojo just wipes the floor. who would have thought a simple set up would satisfy me so much. roon was the trick in the hat here. maybe a nice headphone stand or iem next we shall see. i thought about a tube amp for my beyers but even that may not extract the same quality as mojo. oppo pm1 with mojo is said to be a heavenly match i'll know soon. i hope nothing goes wrong now touchwood. cheers to all mk. it took me a good 5 hours to study and understand roon's full functionality. i also researched my late 2013 imac's dac/headphone amp and these are cirrus based. its spdif transmitter/receiver is built into the cirrus chip and of a much higher quality than i anticipated.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #33,771 of 42,765
i'm listening to andrea bocelli's album passione with mojo and it feels warmer and less analytical than hugo 2 but still capable of digging deep to give life and picking fine detail in his voice. all of this on roon of which my trial is in its second day. roon is a complete transformation to my listening experience akin to a disney world of music information for adults coupled with SQ that equals if not beating the native tidal player. lossless tidal flac integrates seamlessly with roon. the whole experience is heavenly. i actually feel more comfortable with mojo's sound just with no apparent reason. my oppo pm1 flagship headphone arriving saturday. violins sound eerily real via roon. i also switched to optical direct from my imac 27 , 512gb ssd to mojo. not only does this enable me to exploit mojo's most recommended input (and i did compare to usb but with guitar strings on optical reverberating so smoothly like i've never heard before) it also allows me to utilise my imac's graphic card to the full when interacting with roon's UI, metadata, album artwork etc.

i considered something like the aries mini or microrendu but these would have to be tablet controlled putting my imac's 2560 by1440 screen to waste. streaming is very useful but for someone who sits at his desk in front of a large screen to listen it has little value for me. my german kabeldirekt optical cable has so far passed up to 96khz with ease and gold connectors are very nice so well made. this is the point i've reached in my dac journey. mojo just wipes the floor. who would have thought a simple set up would satisfy me so much. roon was the trick in the hat here. maybe a nice headphone stand or iem next we shall see. i thought about a tube amp for my beyers but even that may not extract the same quality as mojo. oppo pm1 with mojo is said to be a heavenly match i'll know soon. i hope nothing goes wrong now touchwood. cheers to all mk. it took me a good 5 hours to study and understand roon's full functionality. i also researched my late 2013 imac's dac/headphone amp and these are cirrus based. its spdif transmitter/receiver is built into the cirrus chip and of a much higher quality than i anticipated.
Keep the feedback coming.
I use optical exclusively at home, (that is aided by having a ten year old PC motherboard), but it does sound good.
Oppo headphones did have a good reputation with the Mojo, so hopefully you will enjoy them.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #33,772 of 42,765
thanks mike. can you think of any iem's in the £500 range that would truly give me a groundbreaking experience. H2 money still going......lol

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #33,773 of 42,765
I am sure most of you have some reference track when evaluating equipment. This is mine

I use the CD/FLAC version as a reference (the one on youtube sounds rough compared to that, dunno if you could measure it but it just does.). It has a lot of natural sounds/instruments that really sort out the average from the really good.

Cool, cool. I listen to just about all types of music and couldn't pick a favorite test track. But one of my favorites is actually a poorly-mastered one with aggressive electric guitars and drums, dramatic choir, etc. ("ətˈæk 0N tάɪtn" by Hiroyuki Sawano; first track on the Attack On Titan Original Soundtrack, if you're familiar.) Sometimes it's more useful to hear how better gear makes lesser recordings sound, since the best recordings sound great on even cheap equipment.

i actually feel more comfortable with mojo's sound just with no apparent reason.

I thought it was interesting when you mentioned that you think the Hugo 2 isn't better than the Mojo in your eyes, but just different. That goes against the general consensus, and I'd like to see more of your impressions there. I thought the 2Qute was considerably better than the Mojo. (And it isn't nearly as technically advanced as the Hugo 2.)

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #33,774 of 42,765
thanks mike. can you think of any iem's in the £500 range that would truly give me a groundbreaking experience. H2 money still going......lol
Regarding iems, I use AKT8 ie Mk2, and I believe that any iem that beats them will be very special - but they are outside your price range.
My curiosity has been triggered by the reviews of the www.amazon.co.uk/Audeze-iSINE-Planar-Lightning-Headphone/dp/B01MY96Z8J and http://www.highendheadphones.co.uk/audeze/audeze-lcdi4-in-ear-headphone, but I have never tried them, and their open backed design would not be suitable for use at work in the office. The isine20 is not far outside your price rance, but never having demoed a pair, I cannot give a definitive answer, but I can suggest that you demo a pair if you get a chance.
I am interested in iems for work, that nearly match the AKT8s, but cost a lot less, but such iems are few and far between.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #33,775 of 42,765
I would say try the Westone W60

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #33,776 of 42,765
hugo 2 is an analytical monster retrieving detail that mojo is not be able to. mojo has 26k taps like hugo 1 and i find its warmer presentation more relaxing and possibly quite therapeutic and stress busting. i have to think more about the music with H2 whereas with mojo i find i can just listen and forget. mojo still surprises me as it seems to emit bursts of micro detail that you think it is not capable of just when you're not expecting it. i also feel far more comfortable with mojo's form factor not so much its smaller size but it just feels solid like a tank and the coloured balls seem very nice to the touch. the 10 minute autoshut off function is good//bad i'm still deciding. overall both H2 and mojo are stunning devices but i honestly don't believe H2 is better than mojo or that mojo is worse than H2 they are just different in their presentation of music and both will appeal to users with different wishes and needs. i'm very happy with mojo//pm1 combo. i can't express feelings that tie in within the general consensus if i don't feel that.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #33,777 of 42,765
hugo 2 is an analytical monster retrieving detail that mojo is not be able to. mojo has 26k taps like hugo 1 and i find its warmer presentation more relaxing and possibly quite therapeutic and stress busting. i have to think more about the music with H2 whereas with mojo i find i can just listen and forget. mojo still surprises me as it seems to emit bursts of micro detail that you think it is not capable of just when you're not expecting it. i also feel far more comfortable with mojo's form factor not so much its smaller size but it just feels solid like a tank and the coloured balls seem very nice to the touch. the 10 minute autoshut off function is good//bad i'm still deciding. overall both H2 and mojo are stunning devices but i honestly don't believe H2 is better than mojo or that mojo is worse than H2 they are just different in their presentation of music and both will appeal to users with different wishes and needs. i'm very happy with mojo//pm1 combo. i can't express feelings that tie in within the general consensus if i don't feel that.

I understand what you're saying: that you subjectively prefer the Mojo. And that's fine. But no one can deny that the Hugo 2 is better (ie higher fidelity) in an objective sense, because it's been demonstrated by extensive measurements and technical explanations of the advances in technology. The distinction between subjective and objective is crucial.

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #33,778 of 42,765
I’ve had my Mojo for well over a year, but I’ve only been using it for portable use. The other week, I sent my Gumby in for the latest USB upgrade. Since then I’ve been using the Mojo in my main stereo system. As others have attested, this little box sounds absolutely fabulous over speakers. It really has made me appreciate it even more.

I’m hoping that once the Poly gets shipping, there will be an announcement about an upgrade for the 2Qute based on the Hugo2.

Has anyone heard anything???? (That’s a hint aimed at you, @Mojo ideas !)

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #33,780 of 42,765
radio interference is pretty present on my mojo and samsung s8. I hear some interference especially on 4g but on wifi as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back