Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 9, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #32,626 of 42,765
I had reported the iOS update not working with various 3rd party products, including but not limited to Chord. They finally "closed out" my ticket with:

Apple Developer Relations
June 8 2017, 3:32 PM
Engineering has provided the following information regarding this issue: Please note that this is not an MFi product. Here’s their website: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo-cable-pack/ It’s a headphone amplifier that uses the the lightning to USB camera adapter to connect via a usb adapter. If this is to work, the manufacturer will have to address the issue.

What a disgusting and arrogant reply you got. They know what is going on, believe me, they must have been inundated with complaints from owners of all manner of devices that have stopped working correctly with apple products after the IOS update.

Fortunately we are free to direct our business to whomever we want. In other words, if you don't like it, then don't buy their stuff.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #32,627 of 42,765
======================================================================

Well, many of us are using the CCK with Mojo just fine in 10.3.2....note I am using the newer USB3 CCK....no issues.

Others have reported success as well.

update: just upgraded my iPod touch to 10.3.2 and it works with the Mojo,
so the issue may be with the original CCK....the newer (and firmware updated) USB 3 CCK
works flawlessly.

Could the fix be this simple? I think so, based on my experience.

...anyone out there with the original CCK working with Mojo in 10.3.2?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #32,629 of 42,765
I'm very pleased to hear that the issue may (may) have been resolved, now.

However, it doesn't excuse the dismissive, blame-shifting, reply Peter apparently received from Apple.

I'd like to see some changes made, in their attitude towards the customers on whom their corporate existence relies, but I won't hold my breath on that! :wink:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pklluASxfA

Back to Mojo, and a more positive outlook, I'm glad Mojo customers using Apple source devices may be able to enjoy their music, moving forwards from the debacle, without having to shell out on alternative source gear.

Here's to Mojo-music!
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

...speaking of which, Mojo's been running through my amp+speakers much of today, for a little R&R - 'Sunday' on a Saturday, so-to-speak! :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=hi8NtRBfrAc&list=RDsNmxCoWnTFw&index=2 (stunning instrumental jazz sax recording from 1957!)
youtube.com/watch?v=4i7ma455d84
youtube.com/watch?v=afJFkXsowKg (similar to: youtube.com/watch?v=s6rV2dwV4kk)
youtube.com/watch?v=YuMskNS-QMU
youtube.com/watch?v=v6R9H84koxs
youtube.com/watch?v=8ucGbREFrA4 (warning: semi-explicit lyrics)
youtube.com/watch?v=RXGj7-JvYq0
youtube.com/watch?v=ebFYqEx9Hbo
youtu.be/h7yGmBM8JMY
youtube.com/watch?v=pkeDBwsIaZw
youtube.com/watch?v=JX_b1KU3GWY

Don't hate me, but I confess I still prefer listening to music on fullsize hi-fi, rather than headphones, whenever I'm not on-the-move. Guess that makes me something of a social outcast, here on Head-fi, but I can live with that.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #32,630 of 42,765
I pair AP60 with my Mojo when I'm on the go. In the office, I use the mojo with a Macbook Pro (using optical output, and Audirvana Plus 3 player). The strange thing is that I like the sound of the AP60-usb-Mojo over the Macbook-Mojo's. Not sure what's wrong with the Macbook-Mojo setup, but it makes me feel fatigue after approx. 1 hour of listening. Now I'm connecting USB instead of optical output from the Macbook to see if I will feel the same.
I read some of threads in this room saying that the optical sounds better than USB because of RF noise. The RF noise, when using USB, can get into the mojo and it will make the sound brighter and fatigue. I, indeed, feel that the optical connection makes it sound warmer/darker, but I don't know why I also feel fatigue

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #32,631 of 42,765
Hi guys I'm not subscribed to this thread and boy there's a he'll of a lot of posts to read! Lol ....i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a setup.
I was considering buying some schiit gear possibly asguard 2 or lyr 2 and also bitfrost multibit or modi multibit my question is about replacing the dac part with a mojo and using the mojo as the dac, i read on some posts here and on other website forums that they consider the mojo to be a better sounding dac than the 2 schiit offerings?
And also if anyone has knowledge of this how well does it perform?
Im not totally worried about aesthetics just sound quality and also the added benefit of using the mojo as portable if i liked appeals , even though i own fiio x7 and a opus 1.

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #32,632 of 42,765
YMMV on which DAC is better. To me, I prefer my Bifrost Multibit on my desktop setup and use Mojo only on my portable. On my desktop setup, Mojo sounds less energetic and warmer than Bifrost Multibit.

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #32,633 of 42,765
Hi guys I'm not subscribed to this thread and boy there's a he'll of a lot of posts to read! Lol ....i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a setup.
I was considering buying some schiit gear possibly asguard 2 or lyr 2 and also bitfrost multibit or modi multibit my question is about replacing the dac part with a mojo and using the mojo as the dac, i read on some posts here and on other website forums that they consider the mojo to be a better sounding dac than the 2 schiit offerings?
And also if anyone has knowledge of this how well does it perform?
Im not totally worried about aesthetics just sound quality and also the added benefit of using the mojo as portable if i liked appeals , even though i own fiio x7 and a opus 1.
As you have spotted, the relative merits of the Chord dacs vs the Schitt dacs/amps do get debated occasionally - but sometimes it is difficult to avoid the debate becoming acrimonious and personal.
The inherent differences in the ways that the Chord dacs (WTA filter based) and the Schitt dacs (R2R based) process the digital signals, does mean that the Chord dacs do achieve better specifications/performance, so there are many chord owners who will proclaim buy chord.
On the other side of the fence, there are many passionate schitt owners, who get mortally offended if anyone suggests that chord dacs are better.
The Mojo can drive most headphones with no problems, so you potentially do not need a headphone amp.
Ultimately the most impartial advice is to take your favourite headphones, and demo both the chord and the schitt solutions, and discover whether you prefer the chord or schitt 'sound signature'.

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #32,634 of 42,765
I've used the Mojo with all three inputs and while I have preferences, none have been even remotely fatiguing. When people talk about RF noise, they are usually referring to cell phone noise that occurs when your phone is searching for data. It goes away when you move to airplane mode.
I have a complex usb arrangement but even using the supplied cable straight into the mojo sounds great, so don't worry about using usb.

I pair AP60 with my Mojo when I'm on the go. In the office, I use the mojo with a Macbook Pro (using optical output, and Audirvana Plus 3 player). The strange thing is that I like the sound of the AP60-usb-Mojo over the Macbook-Mojo's. Not sure what's wrong with the Macbook-Mojo setup, but it makes me feel fatigue after approx. 1 hour of listening. Now I'm connecting USB instead of optical output from the Macbook to see if I will feel the same.
I read some of threads in this room saying that the optical sounds better than USB because of RF noise. The RF noise, when using USB, can get into the mojo and it will make the sound brighter and fatigue. I, indeed, feel that the optical connection makes it sound warmer/darker, but I don't know why I also feel fatigue

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #32,635 of 42,765
As you have spotted, the relative merits of the Chord dacs vs the Schitt dacs/amps do get debated occasionally - but sometimes it is difficult to avoid the debate becoming acrimonious and personal.
The inherent differences in the ways that the Chord dacs (WTA filter based) and the Schitt dacs (R2R based) process the digital signals, does mean that the Chord dacs do achieve better specifications/performance, so there are many chord owners who will proclaim buy chord.
On the other side of the fence, there are many passionate schitt owners, who get mortally offended if anyone suggests that chord dacs are better.
The Mojo can drive most headphones with no problems, so you potentially do not need a headphone amp.
Ultimately the most impartial advice is to take your favourite headphones, and demo both the chord and the schitt solutions, and discover whether you prefer the chord or schitt 'sound signature'.

Thanks for the info , i have some planars fostex t50rp and also when I decide on my purchases will buy some hifiman he400i so that's why I was looking at adding the mojo to a schiit amp either asgaard2 or lyr2

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #32,636 of 42,765

From my experience, Mojo sounds best with USB due to Mojo's reclocking system (Asynchronous) gets used. With optical, Mojo relies on the incoming stream if the stream has lots of jitter, it will cause fatigue. None of Mojo's inputs will protect it from RF and EMI noise since Mojo's internals are not shielded from electromagnetic field.

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #32,637 of 42,765
Thanks for the info , i have some planars fostex t50rp and also when I decide on my purchases will buy some hifiman he400i so that's why I was looking at adding the mojo to a schiit amp either asgaard2 or lyr2

I have paired the Mojo to Asgard 2 briefly and IMO Asgard 2 enhances Mojo's sound much better than Mojo alone in terms of soundstage and bass control. I'd recommend to not pair the Mojo with Lyr 2 as it may sound too bassy and soundstage might suffer. If you can get Jotunheim, Mojo + Jotunheim would be great since Jotunheim resolves better than Asgard 2 and Lyr 2

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #32,638 of 42,765
I have paired the Mojo to Asgard 2 briefly and IMO Asgard 2 enhances Mojo's sound much better than Mojo alone in terms of soundstage and bass control. I'd recommend to not pair the Mojo with Lyr 2 as it may sound too bassy and soundstage might suffer. If you can get Jotunheim, Mojo + Jotunheim would be great since Jotunheim resolves better than Asgard 2 and Lyr 2

Thanks for that i was leaning towards the asgard2 over the lyr2 i also read that for the money the asgard2 is top notch and a couple of reviews said they preferred the asgard2 over the lyr2 even though the lyr2 was more resolving .
I did look at the jotunheim but with the dac before I considered the mojo and not as a stand alone amp, hmmmm another possibility, i can go to the jotunheim if i liked.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #32,639 of 42,765
Thanks for that i was leaning towards the asgard2 over the lyr2 i also read that for the money the asguard2 is top notch and a couple of reviews said they preferred the asgard2 over the lyr2 even though the lyr2 was more resolving .
I did look at the jotunheim but with the dac before I considered the mojo and not as a stand alone amp, hmmmm another possibility, i can go to the jotunheim if i liked.

I just had another quick look at the jotunheim and there are a couple of extras i.e balanced and potential to upgrade that definitely appeal so yes I think I might go jotunheim mojo.
I am also a bit worried about using the mojo as a desktop dac for battery reasons, can it be used while on a constant plug in and does it effect the battery long term, again this is a little thing for me as i wouldn't be to worried to run it off battery and re charge although not ideal.

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #32,640 of 42,765

I also notice you have my other possible choice the bitfrost multibit any thoughts on the better dac with pairing with a jotunheim????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back