Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 14, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #31,771 of 42,765
Thank you very much. I will send it back for repair as its behaviour is very different from the others, it seems to have a power draw all the time that defeats the charger if switched on. I had hoped that my Hugo 2 would arrive before I had to send it in but I will get it sorted now.

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #31,772 of 42,765
insightful (albeit a bit depressing) story on our age of so much compressed music,
loudness wars and Dynamic Range.

Dynamic Range: No Quiet = No Loud

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/dynamic-range-no-quiet-no-loud-r643/

Intro:
After 35 years of digital audio, I expected higher quality recordings, mixes and masters.
One problem is, I am in the wrong music genre. Classical recordings usually get the audiophile treatment,
but rock, blues, alt, country, et al., not so much. The reality is that most mainstream recordings, mixes, and
masters have had dynamic range compression applied, at multiple stages in the recording, mixing, mastering,
re-mastering process, including broadcast. Wimpy loud sound has been going on for over 20 years. In the infamous
words of Howard Beal, “I’m mad as hell and I am not going to take this anymore!”

My thesis is that we are so used to overly compressed (read: crushed) sound, people forget what good dynamic sound
“sounds like.”  So much so, the rebirth of the LP has made a comeback as the vinyl revival. While there is much speculation
why vinyl revival, I suggest the underlying reason is folks are tired of overly compressed sound and have fond memories of
vinyl not sounding as “bad”, compared to digital audio. But digital audio is not the culprit.

This article is intended to be educational and empowering. Educational in understanding parts of the recording, mixing, and
mastering processes that are detrimental to good sound quality and what can be improved. Empowering, if one so chooses,
to voice your opinion in this forum or other forums dedicated to overcoming the Loudness War.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #31,773 of 42,765
You say it starts blinking as if charged? iirc, blinking means that it's not receiving enough current to charge properly, when charged the light goes out.
I assume you've tried a different charger with at least 2A capacity?

The flashing light is showing that you arent feeding mojo enough amps. it doesnt blink when its finished a proper full
charge, try to use a 2A charger and a quality cable so you dont restrict charging current reducing it to 1A or below.

Huh. Thanks for the tips, and sorry to take so long to reply, this is just such a depressing issue that it takes a lot of willpower to force myself to think about it.

The thing is, when I plug it in, I get a solid white light that stays solid for the next 5 or 8 hours, and only then begins to blink, which is why I assume that's to indicate "charge complete."

I'm using the same charger I've always used with it, which is good for 1 amp. For the sake of argument though I'll try it on my 2+ amp charger/USB cord that is normally reserved for my phones/tablets which won't respond to anything under 2A. I don't have high hopes for this to do anything different, but it certainly can't hurt. I'll report back tomorrow.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #31,774 of 42,765
Huh. Thanks for the tips, and sorry to take so long to reply, this is just such a depressing issue that it takes a lot of willpower to force myself to think about it.

The thing is, when I plug it in, I get a solid white light that stays solid for the next 5 or 8 hours, and only then begins to blink, which is why I assume that's to indicate "charge complete."

I'm using the same charger I've always used with it, which is good for 1 amp. For the sake of argument though I'll try it on my 2+ amp charger/USB cord that is normally reserved for my phones/tablets which won't respond to anything under 2A. I don't have high hopes for this to do anything different, but it certainly can't hurt. I'll report back tomorrow.

Some smart chargers detect when the battery is nearly fully charged, and change to trickle charge mode, in order to avoid overcharging the battery.
Maybe this is happening in your case.
The only indicator of a fully charged battery, is that the light switches off.

What is the exact model of your charger.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #31,776 of 42,765
So FWIW I didnt know that windows was now compatible higher than 24Bit /192khz and this setting the mojo to this setting has fixed all my issues!

Good to hear! Enjoy your Mojo!

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #31,777 of 42,765
Chord Mojo factory machining is out of alignment for 5xxxx units, noticed it on one unit at Bay Bloor Radio and one purchased from Headfoneshop (Toronto). The 2xxxx unit I demo'ed at Headfoneshop was flawless however. Please work with the factory to fix the issue. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #31,778 of 42,765
Chord Mojo factory machining is out of alignment for 5xxx units, noticed it on one unit at Bay Bloor Radio and one purchased from Headfoneshop (Toronto). The 2xxxx unit I demo'ed at Headfoneshop was flawless however. Please work with the factory to fix the issue. 

I'll be taking this up with our uk manufacturer however doesn't look like a machining problem. It seems to my eye that the lid is just misaligned and that the eight screws holding the bottom plate to the top box need to be slackened off and the two parts aligned by hand and then the screws tightened up again.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #31,780 of 42,765
I'll be taking this up with our uk manufacturer however doesn't look like a machining problem. It seems to my eye that the lid is just misaligned and that the eight screws holding the bottom plate to the top box need to be slackened off and the two parts aligned by hand and then the screws tightened up again.

Scratch that, you were right - lid was ever so slightly misaligned. Looks good now, thank you.

You might consider having these made in China. The QC can be very good.

From going through the thread, the failure rate appears to be very low. A small misalignment shouldn't warrant a revisal of manufacturing strategy.

I must admit, I gave the product a firm nod of approval after seeing "MADE IN ENGLAND" on the label. It's refreshing to see in a product segment that's dominated by Chinese manufacturing.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #31,781 of 42,765
For the first time today I am listening Spotify premium from Daughter account thru the Mojo connected to my Onkyo DPxA1 and surprise I got the Blue light 192KHz resolution!

is Spotitify already broadcasting in High resolution or something else going on in term of up sampling in my Onkyo, Anyway the sound is amazing as is??

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14776780/spotify-hi-fi-preparing-launch-lossless-audio-tier

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #31,782 of 42,765
For the first time today I am listening Spotify premium from Daughter account thru the Mojo connected to my Onkyo DPxA1 and surprise I got the Blue light 192KHz resolution!

is Spotitify already broadcasting in High resolution or something else going on in term of up sampling in my Onkyo, Anyway the sound is amazing as is??

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14776780/spotify-hi-fi-preparing-launch-lossless-audio-tier

No, Spotify is not streaming Hi Res, and lossless would still be 16/44.1. The Onkyo Android OS is upsampling the file.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #31,784 of 42,765
No, Spotify is not streaming Hi Res, and lossless would still be 16/44.1. The Onkyo Android OS is upsampling the file.

The Android OS is upsampling the file. This isn't just an onkyo thing. All androids will upsample. Seems the galaxy 7e is 192 but 8+ is 48. They all seem to differ.

Yes I think you are right I just checked it with YouTube same result

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #31,785 of 42,765
The Android OS is upsampling the file. This isn't just an onkyo thing. All androids will upsample. Seems the galaxy 7e is 192 but 8+ is 48. They all seem to differ.

Yup, I know it's not just an Onkyo thing and is due to the Android OS. The FiiO X5iii bypasses the Android upsampling so it doesn't happen with all Android OS players. It depends on the implementation. :wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back