Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 11, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #30,196 of 42,765
Hi all, 

I got really late to party here... but, I just bought a Chord Mojo after reading all the reviews ranting about how good, smooth, and musical this little box is. Unfortunately my experience so far has been a big frustration...I mean, are my ears, really that different than anyone else???...this thing is far from smooth or musical....

I've tested it with a MacBook Pro and an iMac, through optical and USB, with Audirvana and Roon, with an AK120II through toslink, on a Beyer T5p gen 2, LCD2 fazor and a HD800 and the results are pretty much the same give or take....dry, thin, laid back, hollow, cold and quite grainy!...My reference system is an Auralic Vega + Aries and a Violectric V281 and the Mojo is light years behind...I really hope the Mojo benefits from burn in or something, although the only similar experience to mine was by someone 1000 pages ago... :frowning2:

Regarding pairing/synergy with the Mojo, the T5p has the worse, the Audeze a bit better and the HD800 the best so far....

I hope will get better!

While not summit fi. After over a year with mojo I'm starting to prefer Cowon Plenue m2 over mojo...

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #30,197 of 42,765
  Hi all, 

I got really late to party here... but, I just bought a Chord Mojo after reading all the reviews ranting about how good, smooth, and musical this little box is. Unfortunately my experience so far has been a big frustration...I mean, are my ears, really that different than anyone else???...this thing is far from smooth or musical....

I've tested it with a MacBook Pro and an iMac, through optical and USB, with Audirvana and Roon, with an AK120II through toslink, on a Beyer T5p gen 2, LCD2 fazor and a HD800 and the results are pretty much the same give or take....dry, thin, laid back, hollow, cold and quite grainy!...My reference system is an Auralic Vega + Aries and a Violectric V281 and the Mojo is light years behind...I really hope the Mojo benefits from burn in or something, although the only similar experience to mine was by someone 1000 pages ago... :frowning2:

Regarding pairing/synergy with the Mojo, the T5p has the worse, the Audeze a bit better and the HD800 the best so far....

I hope will get better!

That's definitely how I found the Mojo at first, except it had more detail that what I previously was using. I appreciated the extra detail and told myself to keep listening. I think I started noticing how smooth it was after about eight days. I noticed it's smoothness was down to detail rather than a bloom in how the sound was set up. Meaning no fuzzing, bloom, off tones, etc.

It was all uphill with the Mojo from there. The hollow coldness I first heard was replaced with an excellent 3D soundstage. (Sounds were always better spread across the soundstage from the start. However after time the soundstage just sounded right.) Then at some point I noticed that the Mojo was warm after all.

If you have e.g. a month to evaluate the Mojo, then I advise keep listening, and as much as possible.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #30,198 of 42,765
@jark, to compare dac to dac try connecting a high impedance headphones like t1 600ohm directly to auralic Vega RCA out and then to mojo. mojo will easily beat auralic Vega for sound quality . it may be your amp adding some euphonic distortion. did you replace auralic Vega with mojo in your chain ? imho if you like euphonic distortion then replacing auralic Vega with mojo may sound still better to you.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #30,199 of 42,765
Just saying:

I keep getting a message from Youtube, while using Mojo on JRiver,  when as always using WASAPI or ASIO. I get error occurred message on Youtube.

It must be because the bit-perfect driver is selected for the MOJO in JRiver. (JRiver might be paused or not playing, however the driver is still engaged.) Meaning when I try to play Direct Sound within Youtube, it can not play. Thus I get the error message.

Anyway I often go off googling the Youtube error message and can not fix Youtube playback no matter what. Until of course I worked it out originally, and more times recently remember to close JRiver. (I went through the palaver of googling the error today, even though I worked it out ages ago. I keep forgetting.) 

Anyway just saying in case anyone else is getting it, and hasn't worked it out yet.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #30,200 of 42,765
The same «problem» occurs with foobar2000 and DAVE or Hugo through WASAPI or ASIO, but it suffices to stop playback instead of pausing to enable Windows sounds generally (so I don't have to close foobar).

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #30,201 of 42,765

Just saying:

I keep getting a message from Youtube, while using Mojo on JRiver,  when as always using WASAPI or ASIO. I get error occurred message on Youtube.

It must be because the bit-perfect driver is selected for the MOJO in JRiver. (JRiver might be paused or not playing, however the driver is still engaged.) Meaning when I try to play Direct Sound within Youtube, it can not play. Thus I get the error message.

Anyway I often go off googling the Youtube error message and can not fix Youtube playback no matter what. Until of course I worked it out originally, and more times recently remember to close JRiver. (I went through the palaver of googling the error today, even though I worked it out ages ago. I keep forgetting.) 

Anyway just saying in case anyone else is getting it, and hasn't worked it out yet.

YouTube is trying to access your Mojo, but Mojo is being used in exclusive Mode through WASAPI or ASIO. Since no music will playback when JRiver/foobar, etc are used, YouTube will show an error. The fix is to just use directsound in Mojo.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #30,203 of 42,765
Cowon pm2 feeding mojo by optical is amazing expecially with the parametric EQ and awesome presets of the jeteffect 7. Wow. Loving it
pics

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #30,205 of 42,765
Cowon pm2 feeding mojo by optical is amazing expecially with the parametric EQ and awesome presets of the jeteffect 7. Wow. Loving it

Traditionally Cowon players have semi-parametric equalizers with three steps for bandwidth (narrow, normal, wide) and three center frequencies per EQ band. Can you confirm this? Also, what frequencies are selectable respectively?

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #30,206 of 42,765

The JetEffects thingy does affect coaux and optical out? O.O

This gotta be a whole new way to enjoy a DAP, I remember JetEffects being the heart of my old cowon 
biggrin.gif

Traditionally Cowon players have semi-parametric equalizers with three steps for bandwidth (narrow, normal, wide) and three center frequencies per EQ band. Can you confirm this? Also, what frequencies are selectable respectively?

My older Cowon used to have this, don't know if the newer ones do this as well 
etysmile.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #30,208 of 42,765

Just saying:

YouTube is trying to access your Mojo, but Mojo is being used in exclusive Mode through WASAPI or ASIO. Since no music will playback when JRiver/foobar, etc are used, YouTube will show an error. The fix is to just use directsound in Mojo.

That is a fix, but not for me. I don't want to run JRiver in Direct Sound; I want it bit-perfect. I said above the fix was just to shut down JRiver.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #30,209 of 42,765
I've read a few places that synergy wise, the Mojo may not pair favorably with my LCD-2F. Anyone here try the pairing and find it acceptable? 

i have both hugo and mojo plus lcd2f and lcd-x. all combinations pair execllent
personally i prefer hugo, but mojo is also v good

michael

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #30,210 of 42,765
i have both hugo and mojo plus lcd2f and lcd-x. all combinations pair execllent
personally i prefer hugo, but mojo is also v good

michael

Good to know. I would've liked the Hugo, but too much $$$ at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back