Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 5, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #30,076 of 42,758
The Mojo easily drives the ETHER Flow. I listen to the combination often and have the Mojo set to double red, or slightly below, on average for a listening level around 75-80dB. There is more than enough headroom to damage your hearing if you choose to do so. As for sound preferences I can't help you as I haven't heard the HEX.

That's a really low listening level. I tend to listen in the blue range with most headphones.

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #30,077 of 42,758
That's a really low listening level. I tend to listen in the blue range with most headphones.

I also have the Utopia (same specs as your Elear) and listen around the same level as the ETHER Flow, which is double red, sometimes red/yellow depending on the dynamic level of the track. You listen in the blue range with the Elear's? Wow. That's loud dude.

I always listen to all my headphones at around 75-80dB average, with some peaks around 95dB, which is more than satisfying enough for me. I had the Mojo accidentally on the line-out level and was worried I blew out the ETHER Flow drivers and my ear drums (second time in a year I did that!). I honestly don't know how some people can listen so loud.

Of course anyone can listen to music how loud they want to, but not for me. I also always listen in a quiet environment so I don't need to fight for my music's attention. YMMV.

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #30,078 of 42,758
The Mojo easily drives the ETHER Flow. I listen to the combination often and have the Mojo set to double red, or slightly below, on average for a listening level around 75-80dB. There is more than enough headroom to damage your hearing if you choose to do so. As for sound preferences I can't help you as I haven't heard the HEX.

Depending on the recording, I've had the mojo on double green and it's very pleasant.  No lack of power.  Push it higher and it's pain territory :-/

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #30,079 of 42,758
I also have the Utopia (same specs as your Elear) and listen around the same level as the ETHER Flow, which is double red, sometimes red/yellow depending on the dynamic level of the track. You listen in the blue range with the Elear's? Wow. That's loud dude.

I always listen to all my headphones at around 75-80dB average, with some peaks around 95dB, which is more than satisfying enough for me. I had the Mojo accidentally on the line-out level and was worried I blew out the ETHER Flow drivers and my ear drums (second time in a year I did that!). I honestly don't know how some people can listen so loud.

Of course anyone can listen to music how loud they want to, but not for me. I also always listen in a quiet environment so I don't need to fight for my music's attention. YMMV.

I generally just make it as loud as the instruments would sound in real life.
cool.gif

(Real instruments can get extremely loud, especially when you're performing next to them.)

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #30,080 of 42,758
I use open back headphones, the Grado SR225e. I click my fingers or tap something while I am listening, to get  a sense of volume. I can always hear what's going on around me so I am never deafening myself. Dunno what colour volume buttons that signifies though.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #30,081 of 42,758
  I use open back headphones, the Grado SR225e. I click my fingers or tap something while I am listening, to get  a sense of volume. I can always hear what's going on around me so I am never deafening myself. Dunno what colour volume buttons that signifies though.

That works if there's lots of empty space in the music and it's a soft recording...or you're just listening at levels far softer than real life...but play, say, death metal (or heck, complex orchestral recordings work too if they're of the louder variety) at realistic volume and you won't even be able to hear your hand slamming against a table over it. I guess some audiophiles are more about easy listening rather than reproducing a true-to-life experience.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #30,082 of 42,758
* PSA - because I care *

I just want to pipe up and say that although it's nice to experience real life performance levels (pretty darned loud) once in a while, I would caution anyone that repeated long term exposure to these levels will damage your hearing. I won't link all the numerous articles and studies done on this but just say that if often listening for more than 15min at over 100dB you are taking a very strong risk at long term hearing loss. The scary thing is that the listener does not notice it, it creeps up slowly over time, and they continue to turn up the volume to reach their perceived preference while at the same time causing more damage. I'm NOT singling anyone out here, I see this all over Head Fi.

Ok, one link for heck of it. Noise Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)

I leave it to you, the listener, to make your own choices but please be informed of the risks. Apologies for being 'that guy' and that's all I'll say on the matter, not wanting to de-rail the thread. :)

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #30,083 of 42,758

Hi friends,
after reading a lot, analyzing all your points of view and your recommendations aligned with my tastes of rock (70% of time) and jazz (30%) I have built the short list of my self-present for my 50th birthday to these 2 options to be connecte almost all time to Mojo:
  1. Hifiman Edition X V2
  2. MrSpeakers Ehter Flow (open version)
No doubt that HEX will pair fantastically with Mojo, but is Mojo enough powerful to drive Ether Flow?
In Spain there is a 600€ (aprox $700) of price difference between them (HEX cheaper). In case Mojo can work with both of them, is it worth the difference?

Thanks for your final opinions.

I agree.   The Mojo easily drives the Ether Flow and its a great match.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #30,085 of 42,758
I cant go past double green on 150ohm AKGs

that is quite loud lol blues at 32ohms.
Keep working out, you'll get there !

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #30,087 of 42,758
​I would prefer not to have ringing in my ears everyday for the next 40-60 years of my life
my personal gauge is the vocals, sound louder than real life? Then too loud!

My safe limit for any of my head or earphones is double green.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #30,088 of 42,758
​I would prefer not to have ringing in my ears everyday for the next 40-60 years of my life

As someone who has tinnitus. I would like to reinforce your resolve!
It's no fun being able to afford superb equipment like the Mojo, after a lifetime of working, and not be able to have the full benefit because of hearing damage. :frowning2:

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #30,089 of 42,758

I also listen mainly in the blue range. When using line out to speakers.

At least you can pierce them and use them to hang your keys and other items so they won't be entirely useless :wink:

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #30,090 of 42,758
As someone who has tinnitus. I would like to reinforce your resolve!
It's no fun being able to afford superb equipment like the Mojo, after a lifetime of working, and not be able to have the full benefit because of hearing damage. :frowning2:
Why buy a Lambo when one plans to drive it as a van?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back