1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. betula
    I had an early production Mojo, and now a new one. I found, that some USB cables have loose connection with both Mojos, and some connect firmly. So I think, the socket on the Mojo has not changed. (Interesting enough, the expensive cables like AQ Cinnamon or QED Reference were close to useless in this regard, while cheap Lindy or noname cables work like a dream.)

2. Maru10
    Thanks both of you for the reactions, it was the cable after all. With my first unit, I tried 4 different cables with no success, so I somehow didn't try it now. Indeed, other cables work like charm, only the original Chord one is faulty.
    I like mojo very much, but this experience is somewhat disconcerting (especially the first one, where other cables didn't make difference). I bought it close to 400usd new with free case, and it is hard not to love the sound for the price... if only this crucial port would inspire a tad bit more confidence... :)

By the way paired with Audeze sine w/ modified earcups, mojo is not to underestimate. I listen to it more than to my main combo nowadays (irdac, cayin iha6, he560), albeit mainly due comfort and portability...

3. Music Alchemist

Hmm, haven't had any issues with mine yet.

4. GreenBow

Good result.

(You just reminded me to search online for a Mojo case. I want a cheap one, haha.)

5. RPB65
    @mojoideas Where is the case for Mojo + Accessory pack module?

6. canali
    there is none, to my knowledge...not yet, anyway

RPB65 likes this.
  7. lbbef

I can lend you my Anker Powerline+! :D
    I got some ferrite cores too!

8. audi0nick128
    hmm concerning bass I think it's possible that what some are missing in Mojos bass response compared to other (lower priced) DACs is a diffused background noise mistaken for part of the bass sound.

try to listen for details, that are present during the bass passage, and compare if you can pick up those details with the other DACs.

Cheers

9. Music Alchemist

Well yeah, the quality of all the frequencies on the Mojo is far better. But it's not merely a diffused background noise on other DAC/amps; they just have more powerful bass, for whatever reason. We know it's not due to the actual frequency response, since all of them measure as neutral. So it's gotta be a combination of other factors.

What's more important to me than that, though, is the impact of higher frequencies like snare drums.

10. audi0nick128
    Was just mentioning the possibility, since I experienced similar.

I remember thinking Mojo sometimes lacked bass impact compared to other devices. But in my case it was the before described effect.

I think that detail, you did not pick up before, can lead to the impression that the only sound you heard before, bass in this case, has less impact/lower volume.

It took me sometime to adjust, but I don't feel the bass is lacking, anymore... it's just a whole lot details I didn't hear before, are now presented together with the bass.

Cheers

11. Music Alchemist

I suspect one factor is the superior reproduction of transients. I noticed the same thing with electrostatic headphones.

12. audi0nick128
    Yeah IMHO it would make sense, that the lack of an pre echo allows to pick up more of bespoke details.

13. miketlse
    I just repeated your test with the oppo HA2, and the bass seems marginally louder than for the mojo, but i might not have noticed it if i had not been looking for it -expectation bias.
    The oppo is cheaper than the mojo, but still an award winner, so it does not surprise me that it also handles bass better than lower spec dacs. 

14. Music Alchemist

I guess you meant testing the bass of different DACs in general. I'm still stuck on the discussion of that track I shared, which was mainly to test the impact of the snare drums.

15. Music Alchemist
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] tumblr_mdhsrzJY1y1ritteso1_500.gif

BattousaiX26 and cpauya like this.