Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 23, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #29,611 of 42,758
  I have same issues with mojo.
I tried iphone7, ipad air (onkyo)
Mac mini and Macbook Pro Retina 2014 (core i7 2,8Ghz) with audirvana and other players

playing dsd128 and dsd256 have some stops/stutters. in random times.
even if files are buffered.

I asked Chord about this issues, they said it's problem with cable.
I tried different USB cables and finally bought Mojo Cable Pack from Chord - but problem still exists.

I'm talking about extremely loud alien noise that plays instead of the music every once in awhile, not stuttering.

As for stuttering, here are my original comments from five days ago. Using a virtual RAM drive fixed that for me.

It would appear my computer can't handle DSD well despite having good specs. I already have foobar2000 configured to load tracks into memory, but the music stuttered frequently. Loading the files into RAM drives fixed it, but even then it still stuttered when I did other things on the computer. (Yet another reason why I want a dedicated music server and network player.) This situation forced me to sit there and focus more on the music.

A few times the DAC glitched up and played terrifying alien noise so loudly I had to take the headphones off. Is this a known issue with the Mojo? It only happens with DSD.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #29,612 of 42,758
  Can anyone recommend a few solid IEMs that can be adequately driven by the Mojo's amp? I am looking into upgrading my "portable" rig -- I currently have an iPod Classic going into a AlgoRhythm Solo to the ALO Rx Mk3-B, but I find myself unwilling to lug this brick around with me during my commute. I am thinking about pairing the Mojo with the original (?) AK 100 (the smaller one), but if the Mojo's amp isn't up to snuff then I may rethink my approach. Thanks!

I have the Sennheiser IE 800 and the JVC HA-FW01, both of which work very nicely with my Mojo. The JVCs are particularly exceptional at their price point.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #29,613 of 42,758

I had similar issues on DSD128/256 and DXD, but it went away after finding a good USB cable that works.

More importantly, I had serious stuttering issues when I was using a USB3.0 port on my PC, and the problem went away as soon as I put a USB2.0 hub onto it. Maybe it's worth a try simply for the sake of diagnosing where the problem lies.

There was some documentation I read somewhere that the USB3.0 has faster burst throughput but has more aggressive queueing and traffic management implemented by the motherboard chipset, so it was not ideal for a continuous flow of data that audio requires, particularly when other peripherals are connected to it internally (e.g. laptop trackpad, Bluetooth, camera, etc). My old Mac Mini had issues where the music would pop every time I used the Bluetooth mouse.

Also on one PC motherboard I had to disable the power management entirely because DSD256 had pops every time the CPU clock wound down to economy state. I guess DSD256/DXD is pushing the limits of USB2.0 bandwidth, and exactly how the data packet stream is sent off to the DAC is entirely up to the chipset/OS design.

Having said that, I haven't encountered these issues when using iOS+Lightning CCK+Mojo.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #29,614 of 42,758
  the sonore micro rendu...anyone using one with their Mojo for at home listening/desktop setup?

i just became interested after reading Dar's review (below) of the new Kef LS50 wls,
(his 2016 product of the yr) in which he also mentions the micro rendu.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/kef-ls50-wireless-review-dars-product-of-the-year-2016/?replytocom=140466#respond

i'm a visual guy when it comes to new (and esp tech related) stuff, so this
guy's youtube is quite insightful in which he has it paired with his Hugo
(has them for Roon, etc....Darko in his email to me seems to respect him, too)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRi9utNBl4&ab_channel=TheHansBeekhuyzenChannel

then it seems you should buy some sort of  line conditioner, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRi9utNBl4&ab_channel=TheHansBeekhuyzenChannel

This got me thinking, I listen to my music from my windows pc -> optical -> mojo. Are there any benefits to using a dedicated device like this? I thought about trying my mac mini but haven't got round to it yet.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #29,615 of 42,758

This got me thinking, I listen to my music from my windows pc -> optical -> mojo. Are there any benefits to using a dedicated device like this? I thought about trying my mac mini but haven't got round to it yet.

i've created a monster, lol  
wink.gif

welcome to the growing world of USB audio, eh?
who'd have thought of this stuff even 4 yrs ago?

sorry but i'm not the best dude to answer that as I'm still wrapping my head around its purpose and capabilities (and limits)
.basically if I'm correct it's a bridge that makes a reg USB into an audiophile USB.
there is a thread towards it, too here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/807223/sonore-microrendu-music-streamer-impressions
...helpful people on there.

from Darko: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/10/sonore-at-rmaf-2016-talisker-taste-on-a-teachers-budget/

since it's computer audiophile related, BIG thread here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-27389/

sonore's own site and FAQ
http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #29,616 of 42,758
  I listen to my music from my windows pc -> optical -> mojo.

Do you know if there's a way for me to try the optical connection with my Alienware M11x R2 laptop? Perhaps via some sort of adapter cable?

Apparently there are USB to optical adapters...but I dunno if I'd want to buy one just to see if optical sounds better.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #29,618 of 42,758
  I have same issues with mojo.
I tried iphone7, ipad air (onkyo)
Mac mini and Macbook Pro Retina 2014 (core i7 2,8Ghz) with audirvana and other players

I asked Chord about this issues, they said it's problem with cable.
I tried different USB cables and finally bought Mojo Cable Pack from Chord - but problem still exists.

Did you try this Meenova Lightning to MicroUSB DAC cable instead of CCK + USB cable.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #29,619 of 42,758
Thanks for everyone's responses regarding IEMs and Mojo. For specific IEMs, I haven't done a ton of research yet but I would consider even the Layla II, which is actually the IEM that prompted the question as I have heard that they can be picky with what amp you pair them with (I hear they are unbelievable when paired with the VorzAMPpure II). Would anyone have any concerns with an AK100/Mojo/Layla II rig? 

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #29,620 of 42,758
Thanks for everyone's responses regarding IEMs and Mojo. For specific IEMs, I haven't done a ton of research yet but I would consider even the Layla II, which is actually the IEM that prompted the question as I have heard that they can be picky with what amp you pair them with (I hear they are unbelievable when paired with the VorzAMPpure II). Would anyone have any concerns with an AK100/Mojo/Layla II rig

Concerns? Drive ability and output impedance is not an issue at all, far from even considered an issue. Sound preference is the only question. I absolutely love the JH Angie with the Mojo and I imagine the Layla would be just as enjoyable (for me at least). For reference, the Vozamp Pure II and Mojo have about the same output power.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #29,621 of 42,758
Thanks for everyone's responses regarding IEMs and Mojo. For specific IEMs, I haven't done a ton of research yet but I would consider even the Layla II, which is actually the IEM that prompted the question as I have heard that they can be picky with what amp you pair them with (I hear they are unbelievable when paired with the VorzAMPpure II). Would anyone have any concerns with an AK100/Mojo/Layla II rig? 

The AK100 was a bit buggy and the volume knob was very wiggly, did not inspire much confidence in regards to build quality. You may want to take a look at the current model that sits at the beginning of the A&K lineup ... I believe it's called an AK70, and it too is a small design that would mate well with the Mojo.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #29,622 of 42,758
  Has anyone A/B'd the modimultibit against the mojo. i have the modi feeding an earmax pro tube amp and cannot decide whether to build a new mojo rig. if the sound is considerably different (not necessarily better) this would motivate me to get off my..........and start the new mojo rig for home use. my idea is to use an intona with b and o h6 cans. would a jitterbug do most of what the intona can do sonically speaking? thanks to all remember the modi is a multibit. the modi is fed from an intona industrial. 250 dollars/250 pounds schitt audio.

i have compared against modi 2 if that helps

quick comparison, modi is better than any computer output but compared to mojo its much more digital sounding with harsher edgy treble. kind of explains the "schiit aggressive sound" people talk about. mojo is also better sounding than any other desktop dac iv heard up to £1400.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #29,624 of 42,758

quick comparison, modi is better than any computer output but compared to mojo its much more digital sounding with harsher edgy treble. kind of explains the "schiit aggressive sound" people talk about. mojo is also better sounding than any other desktop dac iv heard up to £1400.

Have you heard any of their Multibit offerings?

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #29,625 of 42,758

I had the Modi 2 as well and concur with your synopsis...except that I could not distinguish between the onboard DAC of my laptop and the Modi 2. Some computers are better than others.

What's interesting is that all these DACs have a neutral measured frequency response, so the significant difference in sound with the Mojo comes from other things, such as timing accuracy and the lack of noise floor modulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back