1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. TG04
    Fab!  Thanks for clarifying - brings to mind the old joke "that's all well and good in practice, but how does it work in theory?"

Sorry, couldn't resist...

2. TG04
    Hello there.  I have a BDP-95 which I bought factory-direct immediately after product launch and have been a very happy user ever since.  I too use the balanced output for music (m.ch. downsampled to stereo for video).  

I actually find that taking the trouble to spin discs can sometimes yield a fuller, more rewarding & more enjoyable musical experience.  But the Mojo definitively often reveals more detail and most importantly seems to remove "phasey-ness" so moving around is alright whereas the CD/SACD playback tends to pin you in the "sweet spot".  Sometimes I think certain content (think newly re/mastered) is tuned to earphone listening at the expense of old-fashioned stereo speakers in the room, but am not sure about that.

Just my opinion, though.  And it may change as this thing evolves!

AmusedToD likes this.
  3. qrtas
    Guys, thanks for suggesting this cable. It is good not to have to use the camera kit adapter from apple. This cable works perfectly. I wish it was even shorter, but for only $12 US dollars on Amazon, no complaints. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

4. qrtas
    IMG_6002.jpg

5. qrtas
    IMG_6003.jpg

6. maxh22

Looks much better, no doubt about that. But how long will the cable work before apple decides to release a new update and potentially brick it.

Please keep us updated in the coming months if it still works.

7. Music Alchemist

I use Chord's ASIO driver, which automatically adjusts the settings depending on the file.

If you are using DS, I'd select 16/44...but I never heard a difference between those Windows settings.

I've used the HD 800 with the Mojo for about 8 days.

I think the Mojo is worth it. I have driven the HD 800 from the much more expensive 430HAD and HDVD 800, and the differences in sound compared to driving it from the Mojo are small enough that I wouldn't even be able to tell you what they are without a direct comparison. I can't tell you how it compares to other DAC/amps, as I have only heard the HD 800 on those three.

I was actually able to hear the improvements brought about by the Mojo much more easily with my Koss KTXPRO1 (despite it being a far less resolving headphone), because I've lived with it for a long time and am intimately familiar with how its sound changes with different equipment.

If you want to tap into the HD 800's potential, EQ and physical modifications will do considerably more for that than solid state amps. (As for DACs...since I've never heard the DAVE, I can't say how much better it sounds than the Mojo, but pretty much everyone says it's on a completely different level.)

I have a good deal of experience equalizing the HD 800, from copying various EQ settings others have used to using the Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone software to experimenting on my own every way I could think of.

I have realized that without mods, it doesn't have nearly enough impact for my standards. (Whether we're talking bass impact or higher frequencies like snare drums.) Even when I boost everything under 100 (or 200) Hz by 12 dB, it still barely has any impact...which is odd because most headphones will hit pretty hard with settings not even half as extreme as that. But I have read about it having very strong impact with certain mods, so I'm not saying it can't do things like that; just not in stock form.

I have also been unable to fix its "mechanical" sound signature no matter how I equalize it. It's probably just a property of the drivers. The detail and imaging are insanely good, but it doesn't seem to be able to reach the level of neutrality, transparency and naturalness as the STAX SR-207. (Which I never felt the urge to equalize.)

TG04 likes this.
  8. qrtas

Sure, I'll keep you updated. Hopefully I'll keep working. Thankfully it is not a $100 cable :)

9. qrtas

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I do notice a difference in sound with analog signal. Example copper vs silver headphone cable, however I can't tell any difference at all with digital signal. Such as a fancy USB vs a cheap USB like this one.

So that is a plus for this cable.

10. Arnav Agharwal
    My experience with USB versus optical suggests that optical is the winner. It is consistent with Rob Watts' explanation here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11010#post_12330131

Optical, of course, has the restriction of limiting playback to 192kHz/24-bit. Also, thought I am not entirely sure about this, it does not support native DSD transmission.

Chris1975 likes this.
  11. qrtas
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N77VPS3/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1In case someone is interested. Here is the link for the microusb to lightning cable.

cpauya likes this.
  12. Chris1975
    I have an old Samsung I9305 Galaxy S3 Lte which has OTG capabilities. Mojo, however, is not recognised. Any solutions? Thanks for any help
    Chris

13. ninetylol
    maybe switch the cable

Chris1975 likes this.
  14. Chris1975
    Thanks, yeah, done that. Still doesn't work. 

15. Chris1975
    Hmm, seems some answers are to be found on this webpage

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver 

... and the bottom line is that I need to *buy* software which has its own dedicated USB audio driver :frowning2: