Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #29,312 of 42,765

For the money, if you are doing strict desktop use I think there are other options that would be far better suited. However, as a stand in solution, it is great. I sold my desktop DAC as I needed the money, and have been using the Mojo in its place. I'm looking forward to buying a new desktop DAC so I can just use the Mojo as a portable solution. For 600 bucks, the Mojo is great, but its definitely not the ideal solution for strict desktop use. 

Why isn't it the ideal solution for strict desktop use? I connect it to my Mac Mini when needed using an optical cable. Is it only because the ease of use?

I'm interested to hear which other options are better, soundwise.

works great as desktop.  you know a better dac anywhere near the money, let me know.  i think the only thing that is going to beat mojo's output is hugo 2.  

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #29,314 of 42,765
  Just bought a JVC HA-SZ2000! Now I'll have both audiophile and basshead bases covered.

(Returning the Skullcandy Crusher 'cause it's nowhere near good enough for serious basshead purposes.)

I see. You sure are a Mojo guru!
biggrin.gif

Bass headphones? 

There were also Pro900 from Ultrasone which everyone seemingly enjoyed as basshead headphones (?) 

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #29,315 of 42,765
  Bass headphones? 

There were also Pro900 from Ultrasone which everyone seemingly enjoyed as basshead headphones (?) 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Extreme basshead headphones with the goal of getting ultimate bass impact via EQ, amplification, and pad swaps.

That JVC is #1 in that thread. (Ultrasone isn't even in the ranking.)

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #29,316 of 42,765
Just bought a JVC HA-SZ2000! Now I'll have both audiophile and basshead bases covered.

(Returning the Skullcandy Crusher 'cause it's nowhere near good enough for serious basshead purposes.)

I see. You sure are a Mojo guru! :D
Mojo wont make the JVC pound, Best bass headphone is the B&W P9 plus it has top notch Treble and soundstage.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #29,317 of 42,765
Jan 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #29,318 of 42,765
Mojo wont make the JVC pound, Best bass headphone is the B&W P9 plus it has top notch Treble and soundstage.

with a powerful anp the JVC will thump but its mids and treble are annoying. Mojo wont help it cant. Mojo plus monster amp will help.

The extreme bass impact comes primarily from EQ, particularly bass boosts. (And using different pads.)

All the electronics need to do is amplify it cleanly without distortion. The JVC has an impedance of 16 ohms and sensitivity of 108 dB/mW. That's extremely easy to drive. You do need much more power than usual when you boost the bass to extreme levels, but even then, the Mojo is faaaar more than sufficient for that.

Read the thread I linked to in the post above. The JVC beat everything else they've compared it to for bass impact capability. (After EQ.) There's no way the headphone you mentioned could come close in that respect.

Obviously you can equalize the other frequencies too. There's no point buying this one without using EQ.

Anyone who wants to read more about the headphones can do so here.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #29,319 of 42,765
The extreme bass impact comes primarily from EQ, particularly bass boosts. (And using different pads.)

All the electronics need to do is amplify it cleanly without distortion. The JVC has an impedance of 16 ohms and sensitivity of 108 dB/mW. That's extremely easy to drive. You do need much more power than usual when you boost the bass to extreme levels, but even then, the Mojo is faaaar more than sufficient for that.

Read the thread I linked to in the post above. The JVC beat everything else they've compared it to for bass impact capability. (After EQ.) There's no way the headphone you mentioned could come close in that respect.

Obviously you can equalize the other frequencies too. There's no point buying this one without using EQ.

Anyone who wants to read more about the headphones can do so here.
I had it, so I experienced it. The P9 is a lot a lot better. They also talk a lot about modding the jvc to get the bass.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #29,321 of 42,765
Jan 17, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #29,322 of 42,765
Ofcourse, but theres more than the bass issue.

Okay, but just to be clear, I am not talking about overall sound quality; I am talking about which headphones are capable of the hardest-hitting bass impact. I already have an HD 800 for audiophile-level sound quality. And, as I mentioned, you can equalize any headphone to tweak its frequency response. This is a fairly common practice even for the upper frequencies in basshead headphones.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #29,323 of 42,765
Okay, but just to be clear, I am not talking about overall sound quality; I am talking about which headphones are capable of the hardest-hitting bass impact. I already have an HD 800 for audiophile-level sound quality. And, as I mentioned, you can equalize any headphone to tweak its frequency response. This is a fairly common practice even for the upper frequencies in basshead headphones.
most deepest and hard hitting bass is the B&W P9. It has more bass than the JVC.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #29,324 of 42,765
So, can you guys take it to the basshead thread? :confused:

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #29,325 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back