Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 8, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #26,986 of 42,765
I didn't realise the message went three times, not sure why.

Thanks for replying

OK , clearly I don't understand the process. So re-wording my question , is there an app which bypasses the Android upsampling in the Android OS for the TIDAL lossless offline downloads. I know UAPP does not.

I appreciate that there is a wealth of information on the third post, but I have looked , but cannot find the answer to my question there.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #26,987 of 42,765

Thanks for replying

OK , clearly I don't understand the process. So re-wording my question , is there an app which bypasses the Android upsampling in the Android OS for the TIDAL lossless offline downloads. I know UAPP does not.

I appreciate that there is a wealth of information on the third post, but I have looked , but cannot find the answer to my question there.

Not only TIDAl, every streaming music app has and DRM policy. Only they can decode the encoded downloads, if UAPP/any other app can know the logic then they can decipher the downloads and convert into FLACs. There will be no need of TIDAL.

Long story short, no there is no app which can play offline downloads in TIDAL without upsampling in android.! I don;t know about iOS !

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #26,988 of 42,765

Thanks for replying

Ah, like I said I'm not an Android user, sorry. I know there is a section specifically for using UAPP with Tidal in the third post, but I'm not sure if it is usable in offline mode.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #26,989 of 42,765
Ah, like I said I'm not an Android user, sorry. I know there is a section specifically for using UAPP with Tidal in the third post, but I'm not sure if it is usable in offline mode.

Tidal downloads are encrypted, because of DRM.
So if you save the download on say a SD card, and then try to play the music file later, only the Tidal app can decrypt the file so that the music can be heard.

This topic does often get raised on this thread - newbies are often hoping that Mojo will be able to play the encrypted file, but they need the Tidal app in the chain.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #26,991 of 42,765
  Does the Mojo have a sort of default cross-feed setting? I mean like the Hugo has three settings. I wonder if Chord implemented cross-feed setting on the Mojo which we can't alter.

By the way what's Crossfeed ? I never understood.. if some1 can enlighten me in less complex way :D

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #26,992 of 42,765
In headphones , stereo channels are isolated. While in speakers you get to hear some output from left channel to right ear and vice versa. Crosfeed does the same for headphones. It takes some output from either channel and mixes with the other channel. IMO it just messes up with the sound. Quite a number of people like it though.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #26,993 of 42,765
Does the Mojo have a sort of default cross-feed setting? I mean like the Hugo has three settings. I wonder if Chord implemented cross-feed setting on the Mojo which we can't alter.

Nope, gotta go Hugo for crossfeed from Chord. :wink:

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #26,994 of 42,765
OK, so it seems that you can save a TIDAL lossless download to your phone, but the android phone prevents you from playing these offline downloads at a lossless level. Quite unbelievable really

So is there any combination of devices/apps etc that do allow replaying TIDAL offline downloads at a lossless level ?
Will it be the DAP's such as the Pioneer , AK 70 Cayin I5 etc, assuming you can get the downloading to work successfully?

All I want to do is listen to new music that I have downloaded from my Tidal subscription , in areas without WiFi.

If there is an answer, I would love to know what it is

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #26,998 of 42,765
In a nutshell....

IOS will let you play Tidal downloads bitperfect, but Android, by default does not.

Devices such as recent Pioneer and Onkyo are Android based and let you play Tidal downloads through their high quality DACs, although some people report issues, and I've never seen the definitive answer as to what you are hearing is or isn't bitperfect.

So, the problem is with Android, and UAPP overcomes this by using its own device driver and audio path. The downside is that Tidal and Spotify etc, prevent third party apps from playing downloaded music due to DRM issue.

So... IOS is easiest, but not everyones preferred solution as the management of non streaming Hi REs tracks is very clumsy due to the walled garden approach that only really support iTunes.

So, unfortunately, no perfect solution that I am aware of.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #26,999 of 42,765
Yes , you would think so, but the android operating system 'upscales' to 192 , so your output sound is downgraded.
Try a mobile into a MOJO,
you can get a better output from streamed tidal music via UAPP compared to downloaded tidal from the tidal app itself.

I hope I am proved wrong, and that there is a solution

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #27,000 of 42,765
Yes , you would think so, but the android operating system 'upscales' to 192 , so your output sound is downgraded.
Try a mobile into a MOJO,
you can get a better output from streamed tidal music via UAPP compared to downloaded tidal from the tidal app itself.

I hope I am proved wrong, and that there is a solution

Understood. There are no phone's at the moment that will let you do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back