Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 28, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #26,627 of 42,765
I apologize for my cluelessness in advane but I have the following question: Will my Chord Mojo be able to play MQA music from Tidal? Or does it only matter if my source (MacBook/Iphone) can play it?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #26,628 of 42,765
  I apologize for my cluelessness in advane but I have the following question: Will my Chord Mojo be able to play MQA music from Tidal? Or does it only matter if my source (MacBook/Iphone) can play it?

Thanks!

It depends what you mean by 'play'.

MQA files can be 'played' on many players, but you won't get the (claimed) 'benefits' of MQA encoding unless your equipment is MQA-licensed.

Mojo will play MQA files (in a manner of speaking), if your transport will play MQA files, since the transport will send what is effectively a PCM data stream to Mojo, and Mojo will play PCM data without prejudice. But Mojo will not playback MQA files in such a way that the claimed benefits of MQA are included during playback. In other words, if a transport can play MQA files and send them to Mojo, then Mojo will be playing the file in it's ordinary, basic form, as though it didn't have any MQA encoding in the file.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #26,630 of 42,765
Thank you very much for the detailed answer Mython. Will it be possible that Chord updates the mojos software or would it need a hardware update to enjoy the "benefits" of MQA?

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #26,631 of 42,765
  I don't think Tidal has enabled MQA playback yet either.

I think you are right. Late December/January is what I am hearing...

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #26,632 of 42,765

It depends what you mean by 'play'.

MQA files can be 'played' on many players, but you won't get the (claimed) 'benefits' of MQA encoding unless your equipment is MQA-licensed.

Mojo will play MQA files (in a manner of speaking), if your transport will play MQA files, since the transport will send what is effectively a PCM data stream to Mojo, and Mojo will play PCM data without prejudice. But Mojo will not playback MQA files in such a way that the claimed benefits of MQA are included during playback. In other words, if a transport can play MQA files and send them to Mojo, then Mojo will be playing the file in it's ordinary, basic form, as though it didn't have any MQA encoding in the file.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer Mython. Will it be possible that Chord updates the mojos software or would it need a hardware update to enjoy the "benefits" of MQA?

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #26,633 of 42,765

It is very, very, unlikely that Mojo will ever be updated to fully function with MQA.

MQA doesn't seem to have been embraced by many high-end companies, so far.

Some, but not many.

Make of that what you will.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #26,634 of 42,765

It is very, very, unlikely that Mojo will ever be updated to fully function with MQA.

MQA doesn't seem to have been embraced by many high-end companies, so far.

Some, but not many.

Make of that what you will.

While I have not heard MQA in action yet, I was hoping it presented an upgrade in quality from the current Tidal files. Perhaps I have overestimated the capabilities of MQA a tad

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #26,635 of 42,765

I doubt that the Mojo would be updated - although there will be new things unveiled at CES.
It is far easier to use a phone or dap/transport that will decode MQA, and then use the output as the input signal for the mojo. Let the mojo do what it is so good at.

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #26,636 of 42,765
Well the Mojo lacks extension both ways so it's not really neutral anyway... The timbre of it is what impresses me though. None of the paperyness of a Delta Sigma design.

Lacks extension? Not to my ears at all compared to my other gear. Measurements would also disagree with this statement.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #26,638 of 42,765
there is definitely a treble roll off...it can be seen in measurements

Depends on who's measuring it..... Rob's confident it's flat to 20kHz. Stereophile measures it flat. Golden Ears measures it flat.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #26,639 of 42,765
02:07 UK time, cannot go to bed as I cannot put this damn music machine down! I've had to charge it for a bit to get me more time.
Simple Minds - Acoustic album; iPhone 6S+; Mojo; Noble Kaiser Encore = stunning. Incredible sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back