1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. tangents
    I've got it too – received mine beginning of this week. Your number's higher than mine. Does that mean I board the escape ship ahead of you?

I can't tell if it's lasered or printed. Is the "Mojo" text lasered?

Quote:

2. willowbrook
    Is there a new mojo or just qr code and s/n printed?

3. music4mhell
    I don't have this laser coding :frowning2: Is it only for new batches ?

4. Rob Watts
    Dithering is something else - you are actually improving small signal linearity by adding dither (at the expense of more noise) but timing errors create distortion. My illustration of adding random delays of 10 nS was merely to illustrate the problem - and random delays is exactly the same as jitter. Nobody would suggest that 10 nS of jitter was inconsequential.

Another point - yes 5V is the max on the USB - Mojo conforms to the USB standard of 5V +/- 0.25V.

Rob

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
  5. lbbef
    Was reading around and according to the Chinese, the Mojo with the code is the Mojo V2. It has a 20% bigger battery (longer runtime and more output power and better sound???) and the code is used for verifying authenticity.

Most Chinese retailers are selling the V2 at 470 USD and the V1 at 370 USD.

And according to them, the supposed module that is realising soon is a 500G add on player module which can be controlled using your phone.

NewForce likes this.
  6. Rob Watts

I can't possibly recommend the Remedy; it is not bit perfect and uses a simple sample rate converter (SRC) that in my view unacceptably adds distortion and noise and slew rate related noise floor modulation. Additionally, SRC's create huge timing errors on transients due to the poor quality interpolation filters that are used to convert to a different sample rate. If you want to make Mojo sound like normal DAC's by all means use it....

Rob

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    maxh22 likes this.
  7. ThomasHK
    Damn, that would suck if it was true. I purchased mine from Chord on Amazon 1 month ago and it would be "V1" according to this.

8. Arpiben
    Strange as well as interesting.
    IMHO, need to be clarified from Chord.

9. TheTrace
    That would be a wild update to the mojo with no official announcement made.

10. ThomasHK
    Yeah, sounds more like a story running wild in China. 

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  11. lbbef

Well, from the looks of it, it seems pretty legit since the Chinese shops are having 2 prices.

The price for the V1 is really tempting. Better than any Black Friday deal.

12. GRUMPYOLDGUY

Didn't you mention your filter design uses something upwards of a 100k taps? 7 series DSP48 macros only support 25x18 multiplier... so somewhere along the way surely the bit growth will exceed this width? There must be some kind of rounding here, but I think this is somewhat tangential to main point.

Fundamentally, in order to digitally adjust volume, you must change the amplitude of the fixed point samples, no? No matter how you skin that cat, you are limited by the fact that these values are inherently discrete, and so can only control this to 1LSB, not infinite precision. That is the point I was trying to make.

I unequivocally stated that an ideal analog device does not have this problem, and that in practice things like thermal noise and other sources of noise limit the performance. But conceptually, the point still stands... analog devices are not discrete, and so are not limited in this manner.

I won't comment on the materials science aspect of your post, because, frankly, I know nothing about it. I majored in EE, not materials science.

I'm not going after your sales, bud. It's one of the best selling devices on the market and has developed a fanboy following here. Nobody is taking that from you. I'm simply stating why I prefer analog volume control over digital.

13. music4mhell
    Now some one will say, V2 sound more musical than V1 and it has better soundstage and instrument separation ! :)

14. HiFiChris Contributor

This hasn't been a concern of mine so far, however now that you mention it, I am afraid that Chord Electronics or the gvnmt might use some secret long-range laser engraving machine that can reach through any kind of matter without damaging it in order to laser-engrave it on the desired object, which would be the Mojo DAC in this case.
    And I wouldn't even notice this because this spot is covered by a DIGNIS leather case.

Man, thinking about it, now I am also afraid of mind control.

Thank you, Nik, for ruining my day!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. betula
    In the last couple of days I had to realize, I am addicted to Mojo. After 11 months of ownership I had to send back my beloved Mojo to the retailer, as I experienced battery problems.
    Nothing else sounds good enough after Mojo, nothing gives the same level of satisfaction, I almost have a slight feeling of discomfort. :) The good in the bad however is, I have just received a message from the retailer, saying, they are probably sending me a brand new unit. Now I started to wonder, if that is going to be with or without the QR code. Anyway, I will report back, if I can detect any difference in the sound of the brand new unit and the one I used for almost a year (I expect not to hear any difference). Can't wait to be reunited with Mojo. :)