Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 24, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #26,386 of 42,765

I just received Mojo. I use it in my desktop audio system connected by SPDIF cable to Cary 303 CD player. I don’t like Mojo sound out of box. It is dry, scratchy, too digital. It is not smooth, hot, analog and musical. The resolution is not in the level as I expected. After 30 hours, of break-in sound has improved a little. So, I hope that a long break-in should help. How much time take Mojo break-in?

It took me ages to get used to the Mojo.

At first I found it hollow, cold, and thin, however more detailed than my other DAC. Since it was more detailed I persisted with it for a while suspecting some burn-in. (Or brain burn in which some suggest.)

After about ten days I noticed it seemed very smooth, because there were no rough hiccups from poor  quality conversion. After that uphill moment, it continued being all uphill. I adjusted or it adjusted and it was all that everyone says it is.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #26,387 of 42,765
A fixed delay of about 10 nS would be completely inaudible - and this is not where the problem lies.

If you were to randomly adjust the timing (adding or not adding it), then the delay would become audible and measurable - it is because the delay (or timing) is constantly non-linearly changing that it has important consequences for sound quality.

Now the levels of delay is much worse than this, simple interpolation filters have timing errors on transients of  around 100 uS - that's like randomly adding 2 miles of wire or not - and this then becomes highly audible.

Rob

Thank you, for being both prompt and informative! So inconsistent, non-linear timing inaccuracies are what cause problems in how we perceive the sound? That is surprising, since the opposite is true with adding dithering. There the randomness is what makes dithering next to being INaudible! Are we maybe talking about two completely unrelated kinds of audio processing in our brains?

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #26,390 of 42,765
I got a good deal on the case, but was bummed when I received the cable pack to find that the adapter module will not work with the case on.  :confused_face:   That defeats the purpose for me, as the only time I would require a case would be when I'm using the Mojo at work with a phone as the source.
The longer case will be available shortly. Unfortunate there was no way we could acomodate the simple adaptor or far more importantly the next far more complicated adaptor without increasing the length of the case.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #26,391 of 42,765
The longer case will be available shortly. Unfortunate there was no way we could acomodate the simple adaptor or far more importantly the next far more complicated adaptor without increasing the length of the case.

Will the SD module be touchscreen? Will it have a screen at all?

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #26,392 of 42,765

At first I found it hollow, cold, and thin, however more detailed than my other DAC. Since it was more detailed I persisted with it for a while suspecting some burn-in. (Or brain burn in which some suggest.)

After about ten days I noticed it seemed very smooth, because there were no rough hiccups from poor  quality conversion. After that uphill moment, it continued being all uphill. I adjusted or it adjusted and it was all that everyone says it is.

Yes, exactly like you wrote  "hollow, cold, and thin".
But,  I believe in break-in. I did a lot of tweaks with my tube amplifiers and I built from scratch my tube phonostage.
I can say, that even brand new cathode resistors (are shunted by capacitors) sound horrible during breck-in period.

I listen Mojo in my system with 300B amplifier and Altec 604E speakers.
I also listened Mojo with Audeze LCD2F.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #26,393 of 42,765
Rob has pointed out that it isn't jitter with his DACs. He has said a wet string could almost be used as far as jitter is concerned. As he's pointed out many times it's likely that there is RF noise getting in to the system and modulating the noise floor causing a hardness to the sound.

That's a huge possibility too. These devices most likely also prevent additional RF noise from getting into the system in addition to lower jitter levels. 

Hans, from the Hans Beekhuyzen Channel posted a video review of the remedy and also took measurements of jitter levels before and after. He hooked up the remedy to the Mojo and found a very noticable lift in sound quality. If this was not entirely due to a reduction of jitter than it must have also prevented more RF noise from getting in and hardening the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElYNSRzULyg

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #26,394 of 42,765

Yes, exactly like you wrote  "hollow, cold, and thin".
But,  I believe in break-in. I did a lot of tweaks with my tube amplifiers and I built from scratch my tube phonostage.
I can say, that even brand new cathode resistors (are shunted by capacitors) sound horrible during breck-in period.

I listen Mojo in my system with 300B amplifier and Altec 604E speakers.
I also listened Mojo with Audeze LCD2F.

I think you're on the right path so to speak. As time went on the Mojo just got better everyday for me.

The hollowness I experienced turned into incredible sound-staging on my desktop speakers, (which are Q Acoustics BT3). My old DAC was a warm, thick, (and almost fluffy sounding) Meridian Explorer (ME). It's a good enough DAC at its own price point, but I knew I wanted more. The Mojo is much deeper in the soundstage on speakers, and that was what I was hearing as hollow. The Mojo also fills out the sides of the soundstage with equal details as anywhere else.

Whether or nor burn in of the Mojo took place, Rob Watts says no. He says it's brain burn in. I think brain burn-in really happened for me because there was a substantial difference between the Mojo and ME. However we always hear about hardware needing time. When I eventually came to terms with how much better the Mojo is though, I realised it took time.

To me the Mojo no longer sounds thin. It's just that the details and effects on sounds are more spaced out. Whereas the Meridian Explorer left everything flatter in soundstage back to front. (To me the Mojo now today, sounds full and solid.)

It took me about ten days of lots of listening before I began to feel the Mojo was smooth. This was due to detail and it never going out of tune or harsh. That's a lot of running time. Fast forward a few more weeks and I accepted the Mojo.

There is also a really important aspect that giving the Mojo bit-perfect files makes a real improvement too. This I discovered a few weeks in with the Mojo because I was reading this thread. I bought JRiver so I could access bit-perfect files. This improved warmth and timbre: well everything really.

Fast forward again a few more weeks and I was felt the Mojo was worth its price, just. It was sounding analogue and a beautifully comfortable warm, and smooth. A few weeks after that and I felt the Mojo was part of my life. Now I don't know if I could live without one. (If you can imagine going back to an ME after getting used to the Mojo.)

As it says at the end of the What Hi-Fi review of the Chord Hugo. "You'll wonder how you ever managed without one."

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #26,395 of 42,765
Anyone that random is beyond even Rob's skill to help! :eek:  

Well,I will add even more cable length.
Average velocity in coaxial is around 5 ns per meter (5us/Km).
Therefore a delay of 100us can be obtained by using 20Km of cable. :wink:

Anyhow I do like Rob's cable analogy when dealing with delay only:not impedance, not losses,etc...
If continuous and steady that delay is not audible. If randomly varying such delay is audible.
Thanks Rob.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #26,396 of 42,765

Anyone that random is beyond even Rob's skill to help!
eek.gif

Well,I will add even more cable length.
Average velocity in coaxial is around 5 ns per meter (5us/Km).
Therefore a delay of 100us can be obtained by using 20Km of cable. :wink:

Anyhow I do like Rob's cable analogy when dealing with delay only:not impedance, not losses,etc...
If continuous and steady that delay is not audible. If randomly varying such delay is audible.
Thanks Rob.

If you tie a knot in the cable, it can confuse the signal and sometimes it can't find it's way to the end
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #26,397 of 42,765
Attention, i-Device-users:    Have any of you tried this cable yet?:

https://world.taobao.com/item/538214819181.htm#detail

(This is not the same vendor as the TaoBao one that's been listed in post #3 for the past year)

It probably works fine, but I'd like confirmation from a Mojo owner before adding it to post #3.

Cheers, all.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #26,398 of 42,765
My my, my Mojo is sounding so good tonight! :)
Gone for a different bunch of music and streaming Amazon Music, "Top Songs in Prime" playlist from Thursday. Not normally artists I would choose but they sound so good.
Oh ******, battery is on a Red light. LOL. Blimey. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #26,399 of 42,765
I was just looking at cheap tablets in the Black Friday sales. Do tablets run out quicker on battery when sending bit-perfect data by USB, like phones and DAPs?

The Amazon fire will do about 7 hours generally . The Acer Icona 8 will do about five and a half hours generally.

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #26,400 of 42,765
No, it sends you here

Aww, snap! I fell for it :rolleyes:

I really wonder why there is now a QR code thingie between the two headphone outputs. I am glad that my Mojo that I bought a little over three months ago (right after Amazon Germany finally got the Mojo in stock for the very first time) doesn't have it yet.

Are you expecting it to suddenly pop up, Chris?

:wink_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back