Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 21, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #26,191 of 42,758
Thanks, both, for your support.

To be fair, SearchOfSub makes some valid points, and it's not that I'm being dismissive of them, it's just that I can't make an enormous amount of information into a tiny amount of information without it ceasing to be an enormous repository of information.

No hard feelings.

It's not dismissive or personal; it's just situational.

:beerchug:

Fair enough. But please do consider removing the strings of flowery stars and hearts by the product name.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #26,192 of 42,758
  Thanks for the feedback. Mojo was powered on, I tried all the settings I could think of on the Walkman (tried it with another Walkman as well). I got the Mojo working with my PC. I'm thinking it's just a bad OTG cable at this point, again, unless I'm missing some kind of setting on the Walkman.

Can you confirm exactly which Sony cable you are using, please?

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #26,193 of 42,758

Thanks, both, for your support.

To be fair, SearchOfSub makes some valid points, and it's not that I'm being dismissive of them, it's just that I can't make an enormous amount of information into a tiny amount of information without it ceasing to be an enormous repository of information.

No hard feelings.

It's not dismissive or personal; it's just situational.

beerchug.gif

Fair enough. But please do consider removing the strings of flowery stars and hearts by the product name.

LOL - those who have followed this thread from the very beginning know that those were only introduced out of exasperation at almost no one ever reading what the thread title was asking them to do..... 'please READ post #3'

They're not there out of a misguided attempt to look cool. They're just intended to draw attention where it too seldom seems to be drawn.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #26,194 of 42,758
I'm using the WMC-NW20MU, and the OTC cable is a no name.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #26,195 of 42,758
  So what kind of battery usage are the new owners seeing? I got my Mojo last Wednesday from Amazon.De and had to charge the battery overnight for the full charge. Played Tidal High (320k) over the next couple of days from my mac laptop. Battery seem to last only about 5 hours before the flashing red light came on. Nowhere near the 10 hours promised by Chord. Will try couple of more charges to see what I get.  

Broadly-speaking, most people get around 7-8 hrs from a fully-charged Mojo, but it varies depending on, for example, what resistive load your IEMs/CIEMs/Headphones present to Mojos output stage, what volume level you choose to drive them at (some people listen at worryingly high SPL), and also (to a small degree) what digital protocol you are using:

Thanks for this very informative post.
1. It confirms the possibility to act on +5V VBUS wire to select/unselect Mojo's USB port in a desktop usage.
2. It explains why consumption is slightly lower when USB Audio is plugged.

Regards.

Actually optical is the lowest power - the USB decoder chip is about 1/3 W and is turned off when VBUS is low.

Rob

Also, please consider the following possibility, which may or may not apply to your situation:

Try charging overnight with the unit off. The charging circuit looks at the state of the battery before charging. If the battery has a very low voltage, it will trickle charge the battery until it gets to a safe voltage, and then full charge will commence. This trickle charge mode can take several hours, and it is done for safety reasons, and it will appear that the battery is not working as the trickle charge mode takes some time. When in this mode Mojo must be off.

Rob 

Some people do not fully-charge their Mojo before using it with a laptop. This can sometimes mean that Mojo may not be charging fully, if the user is expecting it to charge whilst in-use, connected to the laptop, as there is a net power drain on the battery.

That's not working for me. The unit turns off after a while. Probably when it gets too warm. That was kind of a disappointment as I was going to use it as a DAC for my PC as well.

You get the most power loss when it is charged from red; and when its being charged at full blue then the power from charging is very small.

If you do need to charge and listen at the same time from red, and its in a hot room, then if you charge it with Mojo on its side so the top and bottom is in free air, it will not turn off. A head-fi poster mentioned this and it works well, as Mojo's power dissipation is almost doubled by doing it this way.

Rob

If you fully charge Mojo then use it in a desktop it will not switch off; the power dissipation that the charger uses in matching the current drawn by Mojo is negligible. You are only at risk when charging and using at red ....

Just to give you some numbers - fully charged and matching Mojo's current draw the power dissipation is 107 mW for the charger circuit. That will increase running temperature by less than 1 deg C. But at flashing red it is 910 mW for the power dissipation in the charger.

Now I could fix this by using a switcher based charger rather than a linear one - but these inject too much RF noise onto the battery. This would impair sound quality, and Mojo's design goals was that plugging in the charger would have no significant change in SQ - which would not happen if I used a switcher based charger. I am not prepared to damage SQ as to me this is the most important aspect just for a tiny improvement in usability.

Rob

Hi Rob, and John,

I followed your exact instructions and the lights behave properly and I am now into my 6th consecutive album. When I now power off the Mojo completely, the battery white light, which was white throughout the listening session, now goes off, so it was definitely in trickle charge mode. I guess my Mojo wasn't fully charged when I had that problem earlier, or maybe it was a yellow light and these old eyes of mine cannot be trusted. I apologize for any confusion caused.

I now have 3 questions, if I may:
1. If I leave the Mojo plugged in to the wall wart all the time, that should be fine, correct?
2. I presume that any time I want to resume listening in its present setup (meaning listening via the computer and with the charging cable still connected to the wall wart), the Mojo should be "ready to go" and that there is no need for me to ascertain the battery level? 
3. If I then use the Mojo as a portable, and later on connect it back to the computer for listening (with the charging cable then connected to the wall wart again), what would be the minimum color of the battery light? Green?

Thanks once again.

George

John answered 1 and 2 fine, but I thought I would clarify exactly what happens when you charge and listen at the same time.

I use a dedicated charging chip for the Li battery, and this has a number of safety features, and works with a number of settings to ensure safety.

Now one of the safety circuits is a safety timer, and this is when the charger is in full charge mode. This timer is set to about 8 hours, and normally full charge mode takes 4 hours, when the unit is off. But when the unit is on and playing, there is a risk that the safety timer will be set, as it can take 12 hours to fully charge (from flashing red) and when playing music (for those 12 hours) at the same time. If the safety timer is set, then the battery LED will slowly flash white, and no further charging will take place. To reset the timer, just disconnect the charge USB, wait 10 seconds, and reconnect, and it will recommence charging. So if you are charging and playing, then when you have finished listening, turn Mojo off, and it will be OK. When Mojo is blue, and you connect the charger, then it is trickle charge mode, and the safety charger is not operating. So if Mojo is green, the safety timer won't trip out, as it will play and leave full charge mode within 8 hours, so you will be OK. It should be OK at yellow too. I guess the easiest way of dealing with it is to turn Mojo off after listening, then you will be fine, unless you listen for longer than 8 hours starting from fully flat.

Note that you can get the flashing battery LED if the USB charger voltage is low, from a charger that can't supply the current, or a USB cable that has high resistance. But you will see this pretty early on.

I hope this clarifies.

Rob

Rob neatly summarised that it depends upon whether USB is used, and load and output level... So low load, opt/coax is 8 hours, USB low load 7 hours, but if heavily loaded then you could lose another hour. Low load would be -20dB FS into 300 ohms, 3v preset volume. Another complication is making sure it is fully charged before use.

There is a fair bit of information (including the above), at the bottom of post #3, within the section on 'Battery & Charging'

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #26,196 of 42,758
  I'm using the WMC-NW20MU

Then that is very, very likely to be your problem - you are not using a Sony WMC-NWH10 cable

This is why I was so explicit in my post, earlier today:

I have a Sony Walkman NWZX100. What's the best way, best cable to use when connecting the two?

You have to be careful with Sony digital-out cables - there were some attempts by one or two Chinese vendors, at creating 3rdparty single-cable versions, but I have been told by some serious Sony-users that these haven't proven reliable in terms of vendor communication, consistency of availability, and, since so few head-fiers have obtained them, it isn't entirely clear how reliable they are in terms of operation.

Therefore, at this point in time, there is only one reliable option, and that is to purchase a genuine Sony digital-output cable and then connect a USB-male-to-microUSB-male cable in between that and Mojo (the USB-male-to-microUSB-male cable is included in the Mojo box).

As you will see in post #3, this is discussed there, but, because it is so important not to accidentally buy the wrong Sony cable, I will explicitly state here that you must not buy this one:

www.amazon.com/Custom-Walkman-Digital-WM-Port-Degrees/dp/B00YWEHSQY

The ONLY cable you should use for digital output from a Sony DAP is the genuine Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output

Pics in post #3....

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #26,197 of 42,758
In the middle of this discussion I ordered the Mojo cable pack...but if I'm understanding you, I'm still going to need this NWH10 cable, correct?

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #26,198 of 42,758
I had flawless connectivity from a ZX1, to Hugo, using a Sony WMC-NWH10 cable, and you should, too, if you get that cable to connect your ZX100 to Mojo:

I should also add that the exact same DAP and WMC-NWH10 cable were successfully used on Chord Electronics' own exhibition stand, around the world, for several months.

The Sony WMC-NWH10 cable is definitely what you need - please trust me on that. Just order one and start enjoying your music with Mojo!
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #26,199 of 42,758
LOL - those who have followed this thread from the very beginning know that those were only introduced out of exasperation at almost no one ever reading what the thread title was asking them to do..... 'please READ post #3'

They're not there out of a misguided attempt to look cool. They're just intended to draw attention where it too seldom seems to be drawn.

Edit.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #26,200 of 42,758
  In the middle of this discussion I ordered the Mojo cable pack...but if I'm understanding you, I'm still going to need this NWH10 cable, correct?

Correct.

Chord Electronics are unable to supply any cables with proprietary decryption chips - which means Sony or Apple.

Therefore, yes, you will still need to purchase an NWH10 cable. This isn't Chord's fault - if Sony and Apple didn't try to exert so much control, by encrypting their digital connection protocols, millions of customers wouldn't have to buy their special decryption cables (Sony NWH10 or Apple CCK)

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #26,202 of 42,758
@Mython,

I read you changed the thread title, and why for mobile users. I was thinking though, I have often heard people refer to The Official Mojo Thread, on other websites. They may google for it and not be able to find it now.

Anyway whatever. I like post #3. (I find stuff there that I need to know. Thank you.) 

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #26,203 of 42,758

Never mind, I guess my only option is USB. Thanks for the help.

U can connect your sony using this cable.

9e6efb4c0efc28bc9b246a4a446f11ee.jpg

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Have you or anyone managed to work out if you can get bit-perfect file playback on Sony DAPs, please?

I assume it is bit perfect, as all audio enhancements and volume control in device is disabled when connected. And the light corresponds to the sampling rate accordingly.

84f4bba3151812cc9547904385d6c04a.jpg

f82cef6a56b9377fda3e8d992d704a62.jpg

2fb7fdc2c5e1470461c29cc629b956d0.jpg

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #26,204 of 42,758

Exclamation mark would do a better job. Props for managing to find a bolded star and an empty one, though.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #26,205 of 42,758
Morning gents. I've recently got back in the game and ordered a Mojo and HD-650 in the hope of finding a very straightforward endgame setup for me. I used to have a BH Crack with all the trimmings and the Senns sounded immense through that. I was prepared for a downgrade but given it's been a few years since I've listened to a quality setup, I did expect more than what I've got.

In short, I find that the Senns sound almost identical direct from my laptop/Samsung S7 as they do via the Mojo. I've searched for comments about the pairing but I've seen very little. Have I opted for a poor pairing here? To my ears, the difference is negligible, equivalent to confirmation bias, and the sound is quite thin and recessed, whereas through my cheapo IEMs, the difference is night and day, and arguably sounds better.

Have I messed up with the choice of headphones? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back