Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #25,681 of 42,759
(What follows isn't aimed at any single individual):

It may be wonderful for Americans that the dollar is currently (relatively) strong against the pound, and that Mojo is therefore something of a bargain, at the moment, but has it occurred to any of you, over the pond, that there are a lot of UK head-fiers who are growing weary of having their noses rubbed in it, so-to-speak?

It wasn't so long ago that US distributors and dealers were bitching about Hugo being cheaper in the UK than in the USA, and we, in the UK, ended up being penalised for it.

At the current point in time, Mojo (and Hugo) are cheaper in the USA than in the UK, and I don't see/hear UK distributors/dealers or customers complaining about that, demanding parity, but a little courtesy from customers in the USA might be nice. You can enjoy your opportunity to obtain Chord DACs cheaper than customers in the country of manufacture without crowing about it.

Just sayin'...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #25,682 of 42,759
Still about $410 US on Amazon U.K. You have to add it to cart to see the real price.

Just saw your post Mython. It's no disrespect just looking for a deal. About 5 years ago we in the US went through the same thing. Economic fluctuations happen, they will rebound.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #25,683 of 42,759

It may be wonderful for Americans that the dollar is currently (relatively) strong against the pound, and that Mojo is therefore something of a bargain, at the moment, but has it occurred to any of you, over the pond, that there are a lot of UK head-fiers who are growing weary of having their noses rubbed in it, so-to-speak?

It wasn't so long ago that US distributors and dealers were bitching about Hugo being cheaper in the UK than in the USA, and we, in the UK, ended up being penalised for it.

At the current point in time, Mojo (and Hugo) are cheaper in the USA than in the UK, and I don't see/hear UK distributors/dealers or customers complaining about that, demanding parity, but a little courtesy from customers in the USA might be nice. You can enjoy your opportunity to obtain Chord DACs cheaper than customers in the country of manufacture without crowing about it.

Just sayin'...
rolleyes.gif

Wasn't meant to cause any bitter feelings. Just wanted to let prospective mojo buyers know that it is easier to try for them. I am thinking about getting one again as I sold mine ><

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #25,686 of 42,759

Just sayin'...
rolleyes.gif

Wasn't meant to cause any bitter feelings. Just wanted to let prospective mojo buyers know that it is easier to try for them. I am thinking about getting one again as I sold mine ><

Don't worry; I'm not bitter.   I'm just observing a recent trend in the thread, and a little pause-for-thought, and empathy from our US friends wouldn't go amiss.

beerchug.gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #25,687 of 42,759
YES....that is the one. Go to checkout and put in your US address...it'll cut off 18-20% VAT(can't really remember). Total will be then 356 Euros....which is around 386 Dollars. CHEERS!

Yeah right... I always forget, that you Americans barely pay any taxes... well see where... ähm anyway

Cheers

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #25,688 of 42,759

Quote:
  When problem occured I was listening with it. But it didn't start charging after being 5 minutes off. With USB battery I've been listening and charging for couple of hours without problems. Mojo runs hot but that is expected. Of course could be that my 1,8A charger isn't giving what promised...

Charging the battery full wont help. It runs what runs and battery empties despite of charging. And when battery is empty it Mojo just blinks the charge light until I plug it into 3A USB battery. Maybe faulty unit?

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #25,689 of 42,759

There are several possible causes of charging issues, and the causes and solutions are described in post #3 section battery and charging

.... The unit turns off after a while. Probably when it gets too warm. That was kind of a disappointment as I was going to use it as a DAC for my PC as well.

You get the most power loss when it is charged from red; and when its being charged at full blue then the power from charging is very small.

If you do need to charge and listen at the same time from red, and its in a hot room, then if you charge it with Mojo on its side so the top and bottom is in free air, it will not turn off. A head-fi poster mentioned this and it works well, as Mojo's power dissipation is almost doubled by doing it this way.

Rob

Quote:
  If you fully charge Mojo then use it in a desktop it will not switch off; the power dissipation that the charger uses in matching the current drawn by Mojo is negligible. You are only at risk when charging and using at red - and indeed as Mython says putting Mojo on its side will solve that issue too.

Just to give you some numbers - fully charged and matching Mojo's current draw the power dissipation is 107 mW for the charger circuit. That will increase running temperature by less than 1 deg C. But at flashing red it is 910 mW for the power dissipation in the charger.

Now I could fix this by using a switcher based charger rather than a linear one - but these inject too much RF noise onto the battery. This would impair sound quality, and Mojo's design goals was that plugging in the charger would have no significant change in SQ - which would not happen if I used a switcher based charger. I am not prepared to damage SQ as to me this is the most important aspect just for a tiny improvement in usability.

Rob

First, check that your charger is rated for at least 1amp charging current (higher is fine; lower is not). If the charger is not rated high-enough, then Mojos white charging LED will flash, to warn that Mojo will not charge successfully.

However, if your charger is fine, then it may be that Mojos battery has been discharged more-deeply than usual:

Quote:

.... I am thinking the battery is not holding any charge. 

Try charging overnight with the unit off. The charging circuit looks at the state of the battery before charging. If the battery has a very low voltage, it will trickle charge the battery until it gets to a safe voltage, and then full charge will commence. This trickle charge mode can take several hours, and it is done for safety reasons, and it will appear that the battery is not working as the trickle charge mode takes some time. When in this mode Mojo must be off.

When charging make sure the battery light is white and not flashing - if it flashes, pull out the charging cable, count to ten, re-attach the charging cable. If it continues to flash, it is most likely the charger is not giving 1A at 5V, so use a better charger.

Rob 

Originally Posted by Rob Watts

Firstly the 4/5 hours is the charge time whilst it is in constant current or full charge mode - so that will get you to blue. But after that it goes into trickle charge mode, and the white light will still be on. I can't remember how long the trickle charge mode is, but I guess 9 hours would be right for full and trickle charge.

Of course, if you are charging whilst on it will take very much longer to charge, and the charger timer might get triggered then you get the flashing white battery LED. The charger timer circuit is only on during full charge mode. So if it's fully charged, and then you plug in the charger and turn it on, then the white charger light will stay on permanently as the trickle charge is being balanced by the current Mojo is drawing (no net current into or out of the battery).

Hope that explains!

Rob

Nov 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #25,691 of 42,759

There are several possible causes of charging issues, and the causes and solutions are described in post #3 section battery and charging

There isn't any cause or solution for this case. 1.8A should be enough for continuous operation.

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #25,693 of 42,759

But that doesn't cover all the abnormal situations such as:

However, if your charger is fine, then it may be that Mojos battery has been discharged more-deeply than usual:

Mojo has been plugged in whole time, haven't ran it on battery.

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #25,694 of 42,759
  Mojo has been plugged in whole time, haven't ran it on battery.

Mojo is always running on battery!

Being plugged in just means that there is power available for the charging circuit to either recharge or trickle charge the battery at the same time - provided that the algorithms that control the charging circuit, detect that the battery state is safe for charging. Sometimes the Mojo has to be allowed to recalibrate the charging algorithm, or trickle charge the battery until it reaches a safe level for normal charging. Both of these situations are independent of the maximum rating of the charger (provided that is 1A+).

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #25,695 of 42,759

Mojo is always running on battery!

Being plugged in just means that there is power available for the charging circuit to either recharge or trickle charge the battery at the same time - provided that the algorithms that control the charging circuit, detect that the battery state is safe for charging. Sometimes the Mojo has to be allowed to recalibrate the charging algorithm, or trickle charge the battery until it reaches a safe level for normal charging. Both of these situations are independent of the maximum rating of the charger (provided that is 1A+).

Yes but its getting the power it needs but battery empties anyways, that's the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back