Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #23,821 of 42,759
 if using the new mojo extender with your dap/phone (whatever) ensure
you give it an extra 1'' of length of clearance for the OTG or CCK cable...the linking
from one device to the other requires extra clearance....possibly even more depending, too,
on what type of plug your iems or cans have.

i made the mistake yesterday of finding what i thought was a suitable case
(at the store I popped in my ipod touch/mojo extender, zipped it up and all was good....until,that is
i got to my car and then added the CCK cable...nada...

the zipper to close the case couldn't clear it).
pic below isn't my gig....just showing the extended cable
....my ipod touch and mojo.extender are similar lengths

lesson learned: take the entire rig i'll actually use when shopping for a suitable case.
or have actual measurements taken.

lastly: weight of ipod touch 6 (and rubber case) + mojo + extender is 365g
(not including any carrying case i am still shopping for) 

cannot wait for a dragonfly or nano sized mojo to one day be available
(guess the isine cord adaptor is trying to be so, in some ways)

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #23,822 of 42,759
Let me share my cheapo pouch for my mojo , if I ever got the mood to pair the mojo up with my E5 while I'm commuting otg , but till now , I doesn't has the motivation to bring the mojo out as my otg audio , all because of having the fuss with those bundled stupid cables .
Mojo is for home use , until the day chord comes out the Bluetooth module . Which I hope it could come faster .

The cheapo pouch for my mojo is of low quality , nothing leather , it's just pvc , the pouch comes with a portable dictionary organizer ,
The kids doesn't use the organizer anymore , so I just took the pouch and make good use of it .

A little tight for the E5 , but good fit with the mojo , half a inch clearance all sides on the mojo , the best thing is , the pouch has opening on both side .
Which means , connective with cables make easy .

Share some pics , pardon me for the low res shot .

The low quality pouch is nothing looks pleasant with the eyes , and on a slack , but it's something lying there without usage anymore , so for me to make good use of it .

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #23,823 of 42,759
Let me share my cheapo pouch for my mojo when I got the mood to pair the mojo with my E5 while I'm commuting otg .

The cheapo pouch for my mojo is of low quality , nothing leather , it's just pvc , the pouch comes with a portable dictionary organizer ,
The kids doesn't use the organizer anymore , so I just took the pouch and make good use of it .

A little tight for the E5 , but good fit with the mojo , half a inch clearance all sides on the mojo , the best thing is , the pouch has opening on both side .
Which means , connective with cables make easy .

Share some pics , pardon me for the low res shot .

The low quality pouch is nothing looks pleasant with the eyes , and on a slack , but it's something lying there without usage anymore , so for me to make good use of it .

thinking outside the box for this somewhat unique rig combo will doubtless turn up some interesting results...
hope we'll all continue to share our new 'transport cases' with one another.

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #23,826 of 42,759
I wonder... Is balanced a better way of listening? I never heard balanced.. What's it like?

I never really venture much outside of mojo

Not necessarily better. In theory its better because there is a hot and cold signal that cancel out noise and distortion while giving more output power. There are many balanced products that still sound worse than single ended and vice versa. It just comes down to engineering and design. Its safe to say mojo measures so well in single ended, even many balanced components cannot reach its measurements. I wouldn't be too worried about balanced audio if it came to Chord Products :) Balanced only really matters when you are running really really long cables........then it is a must ><

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #23,827 of 42,759
Carrying cases.. also check out AK van nuys carrying cases...Google search them,,, can't copy/paste from my phone...some nice choices.

http://www.vannuys.co.jp/n_chord_mojo_player/index_3.html

yahoo store  http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/vannuyswebshop/vd268-00.html

one i'm trying out by swiss gear here in canada
more a small shoulder/belt pocket camera bag.
http://www.shopbentley.com/en/business/swiss-gear-convertible-shoulder-waist-bag-1010223002.html

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #23,828 of 42,759
Not necessarily better. In theory its better because there is a hot and cold signal that cancel out noise and distortion while giving more output power. There are many balanced products that still sound worse than single ended and vice versa. It just comes down to engineering and design. Its safe to say mojo measures so well in single ended, even many balanced components cannot reach its measurements. I wouldn't be too worried about balanced audio if it came to Chord Products :) Balanced only really matters when you are running really really long cables........then it is a must ><

Noise, yes. Not distortion. Any distortion added to the positive feed at any stage will also be present in the negative feed (replicated circuitry), so it will be present in the "summed" output. Noise on the other hand is picked up after the fact. To the OP: balanced will usually be measurably better, but that improvement will not necessarily be audible.

There are few cases where balanced makes sense in consumer audio. Especially for portable where the tradeoff is power consumption. It's more frequent in studio settings where cable length is excessively long.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #23,830 of 42,759
So should I end my curiosity for balanced. If it's not audible then I guess what for...

It's always worth A/Bing at your local brick and mortar. Many amps with balanced out also have single ended out. Just make sure you figure out volume equivalencies when you test it... Balanced will be louder and louder tends to mislead as quieter pieces of the track become (more) audible.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #23,831 of 42,759
So should I end my curiosity for balanced. If it's not audible then I guess what for...

Here is the wall of text from Rob and John responding in this thread to the question of balanced output vs the Mojo's SE output. Some good info in there. Of course you could also navigate to third post of this thread as well.

Originally Posted by Mojo ideas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDerrick View Post

Of course the balanced output is going to be better than the Mojo, the Mojo doesn't have balanced output.

No that simply is not correct! A single ended design, done right with a large enough voltage swing will easily out perform a balanced output. Balanced designs are used by some designers to overcome inherent limitations within designs. Usually to overcome substrate noise on the chip that shouldn't be there or to increase the output voltage swing of their amplifiers. We don't suffer those limitation or problems so we don't need a dodgy fix for them. Our measurements clearly show this. Sorry to burst you bubble man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo ideas View Post

Balance operation is a fix for problems we don't have. We have no substrate noise and we have plenty of output swing. Single ended done right is far better than a balanced design far less distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agisthos View Post
Rob you should give a definitive 'why SE is better' explanation. Get it over with, because many (most) audiophiles have been biased towards balanced and are not going to understand where you are coming from.

One good argument I heard from the Densen founder (Thomas Sillesen) is that each half of the signwave runs through a series of components that will always have tolerances different from each other, so when combining the signal they will not ever match, causing an increase in distortion (of some kind I cannot remember).

Charles Hanson, of Ayre, who is a proponent of fully balanced equipment, has even stated that for pure sound quality SE will always sound better, but this is on the bench, where the power supply and analog signal stages can be kept physically apart. When putting them in a box he prefers balanced.

Well this is a complex subject, and sometimes a balanced connection does sound better than single ended (SE) - in a pre-power context - but it depends upon the environment, and the pre and power and the interconnect. But the downside of balanced is that you are doubling the number of analogue components in the direct signal path, and this degrades transparency. In my experience every passive component is audible, every metal to metal interface (including solder joints - I once had a lot of fun listening to solder) has an impact - in case of metal/metal interfaces it degrades detail resolution and the perception of depth. So going balanced will have a cost in transparency.

In DAC design, going balanced is essential with silicon design; there is simply too much substrate noise and other effects not too. But with discrete DAC's you do not need to worry about this, so going SE on a discrete DAC is possible, and is how all my DAC's are done. But differential operation hides certain problems (notably reference circuit) that has serious SQ effects; so going SE means those problems are exposed, which forces one to solve the issue fundamentally. In short, to make SE work you have to solve many more problems, but the result of solving those problems solves SQ issues than differential operation hides when you do measurements.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts View Post
Component count is very important for transparency. Doubling the number of parts in the direct signal path does degrade depth perception and detail resolution.

But there is another problem with balanced operation. Imagine a balanced differential in, differential out amplifier. The input stage is normally a differential pair (maybe cascoded) with a constant current source. Now the input stage is free to move up and down to accommodate the common mode voltage - but the input stage common mode impedance is non linear, and if the common mode voltage has a signal component (it always will have due to component tolerances) then this will create a signal dependent error current, thereby generating distortion. Unfortunately, the negative feedback loop of the amplifier can't correct for this distortion as it can't see the error on the summing nodes. So there will always be a limit to the performance. With SE operation, this problem does not occur, as the differential input stage is clamped to ground.

Now DAC designers are well aware of this - that's why all high performance DAC's use two single ended I to V converters from the current OP of the DAC's, then use a differential to SE converter to create the voltage OP. There are other reasons for doing this as well, as the DAC requires a very low impedance virtual ground for low distortion, and you can only get this using dual SE amps - another problem is RF and its much easier to decouple SE than differentially - this in turn creates a lot more noise floor modulation, making it sound less smooth.

But for me the most important is transparency. I had an amp that had two modes - differential or SE - listening in balanced mode flattened the sound stage depth dramatically,and it sounded harder, less smooth. That said, there are circumstances when balanced operation can be better than SE, for example when you are looking at connecting a pre-amp to a power amp, and what is best depends upon particular circumstances. In short, if SE operation is noisy, try balanced.

Rob

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #23,833 of 42,759
Ak240 sounds better using USB Audio out or optical out with Mojo?

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #23,834 of 42,759
Found me a great cheap transport phone I can use solely for mojo. But now I'm in need of a very very short usb OTG, looking for a nice looking one, anyone got any suggestions? (L shape even better) photos are welcome too

The penon microusb cable is very short and has been very reliable for me. 

http://penonaudio.com/OTG-Pure-Silver-Cable

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #23,835 of 42,759

Found me a great cheap transport phone I can use solely for mojo. But now I'm in need of a very very short usb OTG, looking for a nice looking one, anyone got any suggestions? (L shape even better) photos are welcome too

The penon microusb cable is very short and has been very reliable for me. 

http://penonaudio.com/OTG-Pure-Silver-Cable

I am using this cable for last 6 months.
best till now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back