Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #23,506 of 42,765
Just bought a pair of Nighthawks... Couldn't resist the price, so I bought em 'blind' without auditioning them first.
Hope they will be a nice upgrade over my ATH W1000X.
If not I will blame Rob :)
But seriously has anyone heard both through Mojo and can give a little comparison?

Cheers

BTW there are 3 pairs left for 411€ on ebay Germany, they are new and sealed shipping from the Netherlands included.
Seller seems legit... So I hope :wink:

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #23,508 of 42,765

Thank you for responding.  It was not what I was seeking.  I am aware of alternatives and I am aware of warnings that apple iOS changes may cause us trouble.   I believe I have had a genuine MFI chip which worked without issue until the iOS upgrade.  

I am interested in learning if other iPhone users had the problem and how they dealt with it.  Specifically from those who use iPhones with their mojo:  

*did anyone simply buy a new Apple adapter and have success?

*what did others do with their expensive larvicable?  send it back?  

*did the IOS 10 update (that came out days after the upgrade) fix the bug?

If I plug in my Apple cable 15 different times, including re-starts, I might get it to work once. If, for example, I am listening without problem, but I unplug it, plugging it back in usually loses the connection.  Why it would work so irregularly is a mystery.  My wife's iPhone has no such issue.  I had no issue until upgrade.  Frustrating!  

I intend to go to a local store today and buy a new one and test it on the spot.  

Thanks in advance  to iPhone users for responses...Like many, I have love/hate relationship with Apple. 

I've had no problems using a CCK since 10.0.1 was first released. My Lavricable didn't work until the 10.0.2 update, but now it works fine.

You might try to do a force-restart on your iPhone by holding down both the Home button and the Power button until you see the Apple icon on the screen.

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #23,509 of 42,765
  Well, everyone is entitled to their own perspective
happy_face1.gif

However, it's been interesting to follow this thread, from Day 1, and simply observe how repeatedly the phenomenon has been mentioned, by successive owners.

Most Definitely and the number of posts in this thread is crazy. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #23,510 of 42,765
Did some more listening, from my previous post.  This time direct from Mojo with HD-650 and TH-X00 Purpleheart.  And with and without the micro iUSB 3.0.

The Mojo direct seems to have a really nice synergy with the TH-X00.  The higher sensitivity benefits from the lower noise floor of the Mojo direct.  At first I thought I would prefer the HD-650 out of the Valhalla 2, but after awhile I was starting to appreciate it directly out of the Mojo.  Less gray background, and less grain than out of the Valhalla 2.  And surprisingly, the drive of the HD-650 doesn't suffer like I thought it would.  I think the Torpedo III I just sold would be a different story, though.  I wish I had the chance to try it with the Mojo.  I shipped it the same day I ordered the Mojo.  The iUSB 3.0 does seem to improve the Mojo, but it's not a huge difference.  Just a little cleaner and smoother.

I can only hope Chord decides to make a desktop "MoJo" with standard size USB input, no battery, and RCA outputs at least, in a more affordable Mojo style chassis. The could call it the "DoJo".   I know they already have the 2Qute, but I'm assuming it's sound is more similar to the Hugo.  And the price limits it to a possible used purchase for me in the future.  I've read criticisms of the Hugo as being a bit more bright and aggressive.  The Mojo's tonality is ideal for my tastes and I probably wouldn't like it too much brighter or exacting, but who knows.  

The beauty about FPGA tech though, is that Chord could offer more than 1 firmware option for their DACs like the 2Qute and Hugo, for those customers who like the tonal balance of the Mojo but not the others.  I do also prefer the Mojo's aesthetic style.  It's less garish than the higher end stuff.  I know some people really hate the color changing LED buttons, but I think it's an interesting contrast and breaks up the simple, industrial design.

But bravo to Chord and Rob Watts on the design.  As a future E.E. student starting in January (Going back to school at 30), I know that engineering is all about balancing design choices and compromises.  Achieving what has been done with so little space, and a more limited budget, is truly impressive and a mark of excellent design engineering.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #23,511 of 42,765
Not having any issues with either the original Apple CCK or the newer USB 3 Apple CCK -
now on 10.02 on my 6S+; works fine (as it does on my Touch running 9.3.5) -
hope it's working soon for you.

On synergy.... love my 325e's with Mojo - never fully appreciated how
musical these are! The Mojo grabs hold of the cans and causes them
to give their best rendition - consistently.

We live in great audiophile times; sound/musical quality of this calibre
used to require many thousands of dollars - now it can be had for relatively
bargain prices and in miniature form factor!

Now listening to Christopher Rouse's Odna Zhizn - NY Phlharmonic -
what I call truly progressive Classical... phenomenal recording and enjoyment....
Mojo's precise soundstage, imaging and full textures... as well as fantastic coherence.... (!!!!!!)

...thanks again Chord!

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #23,512 of 42,765
Just bought a pair of Nighthawks... Couldn't resist the price, so I bought em 'blind' without auditioning them first.
If not I will blame Rob :)
But seriously has anyone heard both through Mojo and can give a little comparison?

Cheers

BTW there are 3 pairs left for 411€ on ebay Germany, they are new and sealed shipping from the Netherlands included.
Seller seems legit... So I hope :wink:

Good choice, they're excellent headphones with the Mojo. Btw, I just added a Jitterbug to my Mojo setup and it really improved the sound.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #23,513 of 42,765
Hum is different than static. For the hum, try unplugging the power supply from the DAC.

For the static, IEMs are sensitive and the SE846 is very sensitive. I've used both the SE535 and SE846 with the Mojo and am confident that what you are hearing is the noise floor. If it really bothers you, try an impedance adapter... Someone pointed me to the iFi iEMatch once, but I've never tried it.

Does this ifi iematch hurt/change/ thr audio quality mojo puts out? I'm very interested as I use iems with mojo, but I have some that hiss.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #23,514 of 42,765
Also just tested my Lavricable on iPhone 7 and works perfectly as it was on my iPhone 5s through all versions of iOS 10 I tried (10.0.1 and 10.0.2).  It's a cool little cable that beats the Apple CCK for style at least anyway.

Been listening to Mojo through my little MM-1 computer speakers and boy does it make them sound good (way better than its built-in DAC).  The MM-1s sound amazing for the size and price.  They've been out for quite some time now (I'm half expecting B&W to release an MM-2 soon) but they still compete very well in the market for similar products.  The amp section in the MM-1s is very good (uses bi-amping if I'm not mistaken) and the overall build quality is great for a made in China product.  Boy does the MM-1 reach low.  It's quite astonishing really!

The best thing is they're small enough to fit in a large suitcase or carry-on if you go travelling.  Their shape means they're very efficient to pack and they're quite tough little things too.  I've had mine for going on 10 years and countless moves and never had the slightest hickup.  They sound as good now as the day I bought them so that's pretty good feedback as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #23,515 of 42,765
If not I will blame Rob
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Seller seems legit... So I hope
wink.gif

Give the Nighthawks a good 150 hrs burn in time, and also time for your brain to adjust to the very unique approach to sound, what the NH represents.
If you do this, I am pretty sure you will like them.
Nighthawk is very musical and natural with Mojo. I bought my second pair of NH recently on a bargain price, and love them a lot with Mojo.  

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #23,516 of 42,765
thats right! now i am limiting my usage of Mojo for fear of killing the battery. only use it for pure music. movie and stuff i still run it from my centrance. 

Quote:
  I can only hope Chord decides to make a desktop "MoJo" with standard size USB input, no battery, and RCA outputs at least, in a more affordable Mojo style chassis. The could call it the "DoJo".   I know they already have the 2Qute, but I'm assuming it's sound is more similar to the Hugo.  And the price limits it to a possible used purchase for me in the future.  I've read criticisms of the Hugo as being a bit more bright and aggressive.  The Mojo's tonality is ideal for my tastes and I probably wouldn't like it too much brighter or exacting, but who knows.  

found the internal photo, i think we can expect chord to sell this as battery replacement pack, with new mojo balls too.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #23,517 of 42,765
Good choice, they're excellent headphones with the Mojo. Btw, I just added a Jitterbug to my Mojo setup and it really improved the sound.

Nice to hear this again:) my Nighthawks should wait for me, when I'll be back from vacation. Will report how I like them, but I'm confident they will suit me.
How do you use your Jitterbug? On my Odroid I use it passive, meaning in a free USB slot and not directly in the signal path. Used in the signal path I felt that clarity improved but dynamics took a hit.

Give the Nighthawks a good 150 hrs burn in time, and also time for your brain to adjust to the very unique approach to sound, what the NH represents.

If you do this, I am pretty sure you will like them.

Nighthawk is very musical and natural with Mojo. I bought my second pair of NH recently on a bargain price, and love them a lot with Mojo.  

Thanks for the input.
I thought about burning them in with a TelluriumQ system enhancement CD or something similar.
Next stop FAW. I have a 1 meter Claire hybrid to connect Mojo to my Riva Turbo X and will probably buy a extender dongle for the NH.

Cheers

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #23,518 of 42,765
Mojo and Nighthawks pairing.

According to this Mojo Review article the Nighthawks come out top as best pairing even more so than HD800.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/02/chord-electronics-mojo-lost-found/

The above article is also on Post 3 in this thread.

I recommend buying the Audioquest Jiiterbug along with the Nighthawks.

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #23,520 of 42,765
Mojo and Nighthawks pairing.

According to this Mojo Review article the Nighthawks come out top as best pairing even more so than HD800.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/02/chord-electronics-mojo-lost-found/

The above article is also on Post 3 in this thread.

I recommend buying the Audioquest Jiiterbug along with the Nighthawks.

Yeah I knew that article, funny to read it again, though :)
I was just hoping someone could share a comparison to my current phones the ATH W1000X. But I guess I 'll find out soon enough :D
Love the phone by the way.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back