1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. Ancipital

I think that depends how much you believe in faries (assuming that the transport doesn't do any EQ/upsampling/other stuff). Remember, many audiophiles have more spending power than understanding of technology.

Edit: Of course, stuff outside of the signal, like RFI, is an issue, but then we've just spent a few pages discussing that, so it'd be a bit redundant.

Delayeed likes this.
  2. Arpiben

Hi GRUMPYOLDGUY,

IMHO, basically you have to look at two different aspects:

1° Media Transport's ( USB cable, Optical Fiber, SPDIF 75Ohms cable) ability to carry data:

As mentiooned by others digital data '0' & '1' are carried through voltage differences. The coding used is NRZ ( Non Return to Zero ).
    Depending on sources (44.1kHz/16 bits , 352kHz/32bits,etc...) the data rate may vary from 1.4Mbps ( Mega bits per seconds) to 50Mbps or even more.

Therefore the cable/fiber you are using shoudl have the propeties to handle those rates. I will not develop more for sake of clarity.
    Ususally most of stock short cables/fibers are handling that task with enough efficiency. TOSLINK fibers can not handle very high data rates due to protocol used. Therefore in order to reach the limits with fibers some are using specific ones.

2° [D.A.P/Media players + Media Transport + DAC]'s ability to deal with data without adding Noises:

DAP/Computers/Media players: may add to the analog voltage carrying data ('0' & '1') noises from their internal parts
    All Media Inputs&Outputs: may add noises from outside environment RFI ( Radio Frequency Interferences )

In some rare cases the added noises will alter '0' & '1' carried, in other words data integrity.
    For the remaining cases data will keep its integrity, but  the noises will still enter DAC and alter SQ ( Noise Floor/Soundstage/etc...).

Therefore,IMHO, it is not unlogic to hear SQ differences among players or transport even when dealing with digital audio.

With optical fiber you are immune to RFI at transport level only, but do not forget that:
    - RFI may enter from unused ports inside your DAC or player (USB/3.5mm/etc..) .
    - Player internal noises may also be added to fiber signal at optical conversion.

Hope it helps. Feel free to correct.

Cheers [​IMG]

3. Forty6

In your experiences with those stated above , which transport give you the best to mix with the mojo , with the most enjoyable ?

4. GRUMPYOLDGUY

This seems like the most accurate answer so far.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

5. Mython Contributor
  6. Angular Mo
    Can this topic of sources be moved to Sound Science forum please?

Deftone, cyclops214 and harpo1 like this.
  7. Skyyyeman

​Do some of the reading that was recommended to you and you will see that a big part of the answer is that, in simplified terms: DIGITAL IS REALLY ANALOG. That's because there are no 0s and 1s -- they don't exist. Those numbers are just representations of voltage differences --i.e. current. And current is analog and susceptible to any number of factors and degradations. 

You're welcome.

bixby likes this.
  8. Soundizer
    Please may I ask is the Woo Audio WA8 an upgrade to the Mojo or a Comprable Competitive device? I know it is much more expensive so maybe it should be compared to Hugo and not Mojo.

9. GRUMPYOLDGUY

*facepalm*

Voltage difference isn't the same thing as current. And I've already mentioned how signal integrity issues can affect the sound... It doesn't account for the very specific differences people are describing here... Like phase shift in the analog section. That would require the digital value (NOT the individual bits) to be multiplied by a constant phasor!!

I get this is a forum for consumers and not engineers... It's okay if you don't know the answer, but please just say that instead of making something up.

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

10. EagleWings

WA8 has higher output power than the Mojo or Hugo. As for the DAC in the WA8, I have seen some prefer the WA8 over the Mojo while some prefer the Mojo over the WA8. But between the DAC of WA8 and Hugo, I have heard that Hugo has the advantage.

Soundizer likes this.
  11. Mediahound

Incorrect. Mojo outputs more power.

Chord Mojo max output is 720mW

Woo WA8 max output is 350mW

12. EagleWings

Thanks. My bad. I must have got the amp spec confused with the Continental Dual Mono or some other amp.

13. EagleWings
    So I am checking the spec sheet of CDM and it looks like Mojo is powerful than the CDM too. I remember seeing something about CDM being more powerful than the Mojo.

14. ubs28
    I doubt the Mojo has power problem with most headphone since it is as powerful as the Chord Hugo and the Chord Hugo TT.

15. Soundizer
    I just seen on one of the WA8 threads where someone gave up the WA8 (returned it) because it lacked the ability to drive the LCD4, but kept the Mojo.