Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #20,971 of 42,765
I have been testing Mojo and Hugo against iOS 10 beta builds on my iPhone 6s Plus as they have been released. With the iOS release getting close I am now seriously worried. I posted a while ago in the Hugo forum that after a while my music slowed down significantly and a chattering sound was overlaid on the music. With the latest beta my Mojo is also showing the same symptom. This happens with the iTunes music app, Tidal, FLAC player etc.

I have no such problems if instead I use my iPod 6 which is on iOS 9.3.4.

Can anyone else confirm problems with iOS 10 public betas or am I on my own here?

Ian

Hmmm... I wonder if it's trying to automatically upsample everything to 24/192, like stock Android does?

That might make it run out of CPU/RAM resources.

Only a guess, and could be completely wrong.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #20,972 of 42,765
After research upon more research, it seems that my combination of Phone (Galaxy S6) and music source (Spotify Offline) my not play well with the Mojo. Is this true? And if so, would using the Mojo strictly as an amp give any noticeable improvement over just the phone? I do intend to make use of the DAC but I haven't yet decided which direction to go with that (e.g. Switching to Tidal and using a custom player or moving to iOS or both).

I think there was a post a couple of weeks ago (either here, or on the Oppo HA2 thread possibly) about using spotify and/or tidal offline.
The problem arises because the offline music is stored in encrypted format, so that people cannot copy/pirate these offline files.
These encrypted files can only be played by using the spotify or tidal app (or embedded software) to decrypt the files, and convert them to analogue music - so you do not have the opportunity to feed the decrypted digital music files to an external dac, like mojo.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #20,974 of 42,765
I have been testing Mojo and Hugo against iOS 10 beta builds on my iPhone 6s Plus as they have been released. With the iOS release getting close I am now seriously worried. I posted a while ago in the Hugo forum that after a while my music slowed down significantly and a chattering sound was overlaid on the music. With the latest beta my Mojo is also showing the same symptom. This happens with the iTunes music app, Tidal, FLAC player etc.

Can anyone else confirm problems with iOS 10 public betas or am I on my own here?

Ian

I remember reading somewhere that someone was having issues with the beta, but it may have been your post on the Hugo thread.
If so, then you are the only person - so I cannot suggest anything.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #20,975 of 42,765
I think there was a post a couple of weeks ago (either here, or on the Oppo HA2 thread possibly) about using spotify and/or tidal offline.
The problem arises because the offline music is stored in encrypted format, so that people cannot copy/pirate these offline files.
These encrypted files can only be played by using the spotify or tidal app (or embedded software) to decrypt the files, and convert them to analogue music - so you do not have the opportunity to feed the decrypted digital music files to an external dac, like mojo.

I think Tidal was given direct support in UAPP. Not much news on Spotify, however. Would moving to an iPhone exhibit the same issues? Or is it simply a case of Spotify + external DAC = impossible?

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #20,976 of 42,765
Hmmm... I wonder if it's trying to automatically upsample everything to 24/192, like stock Android does?

Interesting thought though the corruption seems to start happening sooner than on previous betas and the sample rate light colours still match the music being played.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #20,977 of 42,765
I think Tidal was given direct support in UAPP. Not much news on Spotify, however. Would moving to an iPhone exhibit the same issues? Or is it simply a case of Spotify + external DAC = impossible?

I was only quoting from memory of those recent posts.
I don't use Tidal or Spotify, so I do not have an in-depth knowledge of how to use either. It is better for some of the more knowledgeable users to offer advice to you.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #20,978 of 42,765
Interesting thought though the corruption seems to start happening sooner than on previous betas and the sample rate light colours still match the music being played.

I presume it is just the normal situation whereby different parts of the OS are written by different teams, and the Beta is the first chance that they get to link everything together - only then do the users discover that different sub-programs are both trying to write/read data from the same locations in memory (resulting in overwritten/corrupted data), causing the sub-programs to pause whilst they decide how to progress.

Once users point this out, the coders can fix the problem(s).

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #20,979 of 42,765
I presume it is just the normal situation whereby different parts of the OS are written by different teams, and the Beta is the first chance that they get to link everything together - only then do the users discover that different sub-programs are both trying to write/read data from the same locations in memory (resulting in overwritten/corrupted data), causing the sub-programs to pause whilst they decide how to progress.

Once users point this out, the coders can fix the problem(s).

Yeah I worked in software development for 40 years so I understand the process.

Hoping for someone here who can say 'I too have this problem' or alternatively 'iOS 10 works for me on my 6s+.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #20,981 of 42,765

Fair enough, yes; that does point away from the likelihood of upsampling being the cause.

Quote:

Ian

I remember reading somewhere that someone was having issues with the beta, but it may have been your post on the Hugo thread.
If so, then you are the only person - so I cannot suggest anything.

As per the warning in post #3, it is true that 9.3(iirc) beta had problems with stuttering/juddering of the audio, but I am surprised if the iOS development team have been so lacking in diligence that they allow the same - known issue to happen again - if they have, then whoever's responsible should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe it's the same cause, or maybe something different. Personally, I never trust beta releases, on any platform, until a few weeks after they've been guinea-pig-tested 
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #20,982 of 42,765
As per the warning in post #3, it is true that 9.3(iirc) beta had problems with stuttering/juddering of the audio, but I am surprised if the iOS development team have been so lacking in diligence that they allow the same - known issue to happen again - if they have, then whoever's responsible should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe it's the same cause, or maybe something different. Personally, I never trust beta releases, on any platform, until a few weeks after they've been guinea-pig-tested  :wink:  

As an ex-developer I am happy to be a guinea pig (and ios10 is looking very solid) but I am concerned that if others are not so willing or Chord is not testing then we (Apple users) will all be bleating next month.

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #20,983 of 42,765

As per the warning in post #3, it is true that 9.3(iirc) beta had problems with stuttering/juddering of the audio, but I am surprised if the iOS development team have been so lacking in diligence that they allow the same - known issue to happen again - if they have, then whoever's responsible should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe it's the same cause, or maybe something different. Personally, I never trust beta releases, on any platform, until a few weeks after they've been guinea-pig-tested 
wink.gif

As an ex-developer I am happy to be a guinea pig (and ios10 is looking very solid) but I am concerned that if others are not so willing or Chord is not testing then we (Apple users) will all be bleating next month.

(if) it's broken then it's broken.

...and even if no guinea pigs mention it, and such a break continues into final release, then I hardly think that will absolve Apple of responsibility to fix it, LOL
rolleyes.gif
  May just take a couple of weeks longer, and red faces all around, in Cupertino

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #20,984 of 42,765

I am sure you are following the parallel conversation about the issues with iOS10 Beta. But I use iOS 9 and things are fine for the most part as The only reason I hook my phone to the Mojo is when I use Spotify.

As I have reported earlier, RF/EMI noise is one issue which I get, so I'd have to switch my phone to airplane mode. And sometimes the Camera Adapter used to connect the apple device to the Mojo might not work. Which would require a phone reboot. I got the cable replaced and have not had the problem yet. But also, I don't use my phone much. There are others who have reported similar behavior. It's mostly a hit but sometimes it can be a miss.

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #20,985 of 42,765
I am sure you are following the parallel conversation about the issues with iOS10 Beta. But I use iOS 9 and things are fine for the most part as The only reason I hook my phone to the Mojo is when I use Spotify.

As I have reported earlier, RF/EMI noise is one issue which I get, so I'd have to switch my phone to airplane mode. And sometimes the Camera Adapter used to connect the apple device to the Mojo might not work. Which would require a phone reboot. I got the cable replaced and have not had the problem yet. But also, I don't use my phone much. There are others who have reported similar behavior. It's mostly a hit but sometimes it can be a miss.

Reading about all of these issues makes me want to forget the whole idea of using a separate DAC/amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back