Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 22, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #20,326 of 42,765
Its actually 768 kHz 32 bits...

But direct sound is not good, as the PC will very crudely up sample, so destroying Mojo's WTA timing recovery abilities. Use JRiver in bit perfect mode (WASAPI) then Mojo will get the native data. 

But if you are forced to use direct sound, then if you are playing mostly CD's set it to 44.1k, if you are playing videos set it to 48k.

Rob

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #20,327 of 42,765
Thank you folks. I thought it was some technical thing. I seem to remember reading the Meridian Explorer needs USB 2.0 on the What Hi-Fi review of it.

Maybe a USB 2.0 hub will run the Mojo then.

----

Going back to my other old issue of random clicks, I noticed something a little odd this morning. I was listening to Classic FM on my DAB tuner though the Mojo, and had volume fairly quiet. I was getting a lot of clicks; like maybe every fifteen seconds. This is easily the highest count. The highest number of clicks I got before was about ten in one CD album.

I never even noticed clicks before on the radio. It could be interference. I am now running Mojo on my desktop connected to a DAB tuner on my desktop. I run an cheapy £2 optical to connect. ...I do wonder if I never noticed clicks before with the tuner because I played music which covers the clicks. However I am sure I have played Classic FM quiet before. The optical cable does run under the tuner and in front of a Q Acoustics BT3 desktop speaker.; possibly causing interference.

Hi,
My two cents point of view:
- a fiber transport is imune to external interferences. Therefore almost no worries for running your cable.
- a fiber cable is sensitive to dust/dirtiness at extremities
- a fiber cable ia sensitive to small radius bending ( extreme bending).

That said it is more likely that those clicks may come from your DAB tuner if not source or streaming processes.

At which sample rate is mojo playing your DAB tuner?

Rgds.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #20,328 of 42,765

But direct sound is not good, as the PC will very crudely up sample, so destroying Mojo's WTA timing recovery abilities. Use JRiver in bit perfect mode (WASAPI) then Mojo will get the native data. 

But if you are forced to use direct sound, then if you are playing mostly CD's set it to 44.1k, if you are playing videos set it to 48k.

Rob

By "Crudely up sampling", do you mean that PCs are lacking timing accuracy in order to insert "0" in the upsanpling process?

In a far less extent, let's hope that music industry is also taking due care of it during downsampling as well as upsampling.
Thanks.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #20,329 of 42,765
A PC has limited resources to do filtering in real time, so the up-sampling filters have limited tap length and employ filter algorithms that do not recover the timing as well as the WTA algorithm.

Down sampling is still messed up, in that aliasing occurs, but its an easier task than up-sampling.

Rob 

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #20,330 of 42,765
That's all super cool and arcane, but which one of those drop down menu options should I take?

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #20,331 of 42,765
  A PC has limited resources to do filtering in real time, so the up-sampling filters have limited tap length and employ filter algorithms that do not recover the timing as well as the WTA algorithm.

Down sampling is still messed up, in that aliasing occurs, but its an easier task than up-sampling.

Rob 

There is a group of people who use low noise PCs and run Linux system instead of Windows. They say they have modified the kernel of Linux extensively to simply things and the result is that the sound is much better than a Macbook. Have you guys heard of that and would you recommend that to Dave users?

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #20,332 of 42,765
  That's all super cool and arcane, but which one of those drop down menu options should I take?

You won't get a better option than what was already mentioned. You have to match the sampling rate of the file that is currently playing. If your player don't support bit-perfect playback you have to switch manually, Or just select the sampling rate to match the majority of your files which most likely is 44.1k.

Rob

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #20,333 of 42,765

I really like this gif. Can I borrow it for use in the future? 

I have tried Copper to Mojo quite a number of times, and with the Cayin C5 and Layla, it may just be the best in-ear experience I have ever had. The best of the best of the best.

Louis, your face, was it a bit like this?
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #20,334 of 42,765
I was hoping someone would tell me if that worked. I have a UBS 1.0 powered hub, but that Mojo does not work through that. If I recall correct my Meridian Explorer didn't either. I think it's because they need USB 2.0 to run; I think it's a bandwidth thing.
it's a power thing, USB 1 only puts out 500ma maximum, so not enough to fuel the mojo.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #20,335 of 42,765

Rob

Hi,

can anyone pls let me know in Jriver how to set "WASAPI" ,Since there was no such option, even after install MOJO drivers.Instead there was "ASIO" (ASIO CHORD 1.05).Is it OK?

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #20,336 of 42,765

I have tried Copper to Mojo quite a number of times, and with the Cayin C5 and Layla, it may just be the best in-ear experience I have ever had. The best of the best of the best.

Wow! Someone who's tried the Mojo-CayinC5-Layla experience. The soundstage on that is immense, magical, otherworldly stuff. I wanted to ask you two questions:

1) What is this "copper" you are talking about here? 

2) Is there any combination in your experience (preferrably with the layla in the mix) that exceeds the Mojo + Cayin c5, especially in soundstage? Bcause the Cayin is a bottleneck for detail retreaval an texture for what the Mojo puts otu and the Layla can play. But the soundstage is, as was said, unbelievable

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #20,338 of 42,765

Wow! Someone who's tried the Mojo-CayinC5-Layla experience. The soundstage on that is immense, magical, otherworldly stuff. I wanted to ask you two questions:

1) What is this "copper" you are talking about here? 

2) Is there any combination in your experience (preferrably with the layla in the mix) that exceeds the Mojo + Cayin c5, especially in soundstage? Bcause the Cayin is a bottleneck for detail retreaval an texture for what the Mojo puts otu and the Layla can play. But the soundstage is, as was said, unbelievable

1) Copper is AK380Cu edition
2) If you take out bass as a factor, try Meier Stepdance or SR71A as the amp. You won't believe your ears. Those are very old amps though and I think you will have to get them second hand.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #20,339 of 42,765

Rob

I installed Mojo Windows Driver in my PC with windows 10  and JRiver only shows ASIO without WASAPI option. How do I get WASAPI option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back