Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #20,176 of 42,759
I am working with the Mojo/iPhone6 using the recommended Apple CCK connector with the supplied Mojo USB connector.  It is awkward and difficult to configure to make sure I am not stressing the shallow USB input on the Mojo. It has been hard  to carry the combo in even large pockets without the potential for stressing the USB input.  I have noted the custom cable discussions of USB-Lightning cables that include the Apple chip, but I am still concerned that over time these cables, too,  will stress the USB input.  Am I overly concerned about this or is this a strong argument for a DAP?

Yes, it's a strong case for using a DAP IMO, but even a DAP using optical or coaxial or OTG USB may stress their inputs if not used carefully in a pocket. Like all devices, any stress on the input jacks should be avoided IMO. Personally, I feel Chord should release their add on kit that will help relieve the CCK stress on the Mojo's USB input. I'll admit, it's seems a long time coming. I do find the short supplied USB cable is just a hair too short and doesn't help the situation much.

In the end an all in one CCK aftermarket cable will help, for sure, but it can still stress the input depending on how the stack is taken care of. I guess what I'm saying is that whether using the Mojo or any other device stacked with a DAP, care should be taken with regard to stress on the inputs.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #20,177 of 42,759
Yes, it's a strong case for using a DAP IMO, but even a DAP using optical or coaxial or OTG USB may stress their inputs if not used carefully in a pocket. Like all devices, any stress on the input jacks should be avoided IMO. Personally, I feel Chord should release their add on kit that will help relieve the CCK stress on the Mojo's USB input. I'll admit, it's seems a long time coming. I do find the short supplied USB cable is just a hair too short and doesn't help the situation much.

In the end an all in one CCK aftermarket cable will help, for sure, but it can still stress the input depending on how the stack is taken care of. I guess what I'm saying is that whether using the Mojo or any other device stacked with a DAP, care should be taken with regard to stress on the inputs.

It's almost tempting* to get a new metal case machined that'd incorporate the current Mojo guts, and have room to tack on a recessed Apple USB B socket, big enough to directly take the end of the CCK cable (as iFI does with their micro-DSD unit), and then transplant the innards to that case.  Hopefully the promised add-on that'll swallow the CCK cable will make that unnecessary sooner than later.

(*I say "almost tempting", as the cost of doing it as a one off was similar to the cost of the entire Mojo.  Might be something to pursue as a crowd-funded deal if the Chord module doesn't do the job).

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #20,179 of 42,759

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #20,181 of 42,759
Nice. Really nice. Where did you order it from?
A shop in Hong Kong , order and they make it. Cable is Silver/Gold.They made the Copper/Silver one in this pic.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #20,183 of 42,759
Jul 19, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #20,184 of 42,759
I'm looking for a transport to use with my Mojo. There is a special sale on refurbished FiiO x5 (1st.Gen) for $129. I understand that it does not play native DSD files, in stead it converts DSD to PCM. Some one please advise which one shall I choose between refurbished X5 and a brand new X3-ii ($169), which plays native DSD. Thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #20,185 of 42,759
  I'm looking for a transport to use with my Mojo. There is a special sale on refurbished FiiO x5 (1st.Gen) for $129. I understand that it does not play native DSD files, in stead it converts DSD to PCM. Some one please advise which one shall I choose between refurbished X5 and a brand new X3-ii ($169), which plays native DSD. Thanks in advance.

You should be concerned about what they output to their respective coax digital outputs rather than what they can play internally.

To play "native" DSD via Mojo your transport will need to be able to output DSD over PCM (DoP).  As far I know, neither Fiio player does that.  I stand to be corrected as my last hands-on experience with either unit was a while back and it's possible that firmware updates have changed that.

But, regardless of what FiiO might be doing, Chord's Mojo can only play DSD via DoP, so unless your transport of choice supports that you're out of luck.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #20,186 of 42,759

You should be concerned about what they output to their respective coax digital outputs rather than what they can play internally.

To play "native" DSD via Mojo your transport will need to be able to output DSD over PCM (DoP).  As far I know, neither Fiio player does that.  I stand to be corrected as my last hands-on experience with either unit was a while back and it's possible that firmware updates have changed that.

But, regardless of what FiiO might be doing, Chord's uMojo can only play DSD via DoP, so unless your transport of choice supports that you're out of luck.

The X3II does.  You can select DOP in the settings.  I believe it was added a couple updates ago.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #20,187 of 42,759

Mojo plays better to PCM's strengths over the DSD format. Indeed I gave up on DSD a long time ago. I've had the X5 since day one and I can honestly say DSD is NOT worth the hassle, especially where audio fidelity is concerned for me. The X5 outputs at 24/88.2 through coaxial, the X3ii can output DSD over DoP with the latest FW. Really, I would take the dual slots of the X5 over the capability to output DSD any day. Then again, that's just my opinion, YMMV. :wink:

Jul 19, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #20,188 of 42,759
Adding up to already cluttered thread: The mojo is freakin' amazeballs. I went to buy a Fiio e18 the saleslady pointed out the mojo and now I'm stuck on what body part to sell, damn you saleslady!

And BTW to clear up the Windows Phone confusions, it's confirmed otg is only supported on newer models that supports 'Continuum' for example the Lumia 950/xl. I am not sure about older models but my Lumia 830(running the latest windows 10m preview) does not work with the mojo.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/395360-external-audio-dac-support-usb-otg.html

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #20,190 of 42,759
Adding up to already cluttered thread: The mojo is freakin' amazeballs. I went to buy a Fiio e18 the saleslady pointed out the mojo and now I'm stuck on what body part to sell, damn you saleslady!

And BTW to clear up the Windows Phone confusions, it's confirmed otg is only supported on newer models that supports 'Continuum' for example the Lumia 950/xl. I am not sure about older models but my Lumia 830(running the latest windows 10m preview) does not work with the mojo.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/395360-external-audio-dac-support-usb-otg.html

Welcome to the show - many posters express the same sentiments, that the Mojo was not on their original list of DACs to try, but they don't regret their choice.

Enjoy the music for a while, before you venture onto the posts recommending $1500 headphones as essential to enjoy Mojo, or you will be back wondering about which body part to sell. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back