Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #20,087 of 42,765

asio is the most direct connection to mojo. you don't even need to set any native windows sample rate. I even disable all sounds in sound mixer and even mojo as a device in sound mixer because asio does not need any intervention from Windows. via asio it is direct connection between foobar ( or any other interface) and mojo.

Thanks for your feedback! Its amazing that there's not more support for ASIO around here (HeadFi, not this thread) - all my searches ended up with WASAPI users.
I hope to find an expert (maybe you?
wink.gif
) that could eventually provide Mython with good content for "Post 3" on how to best "feed" the Mojo Bit-Perfect data from a Windows setup (Foobar2000 or Jriver), what the pros / cons between ASIO and WASAPI (Push and Event modes) as well as Direct Sound are, how to configure the few options for each, etc.
The only comment I read is that ASIO is better in terms of DPC latency (stuttering, pauses and drop-outs during real-time streams, such as digital audio playback). In my (limited) experience with WASAPI so far I had a surprising pause (or drop-out) say, once during 60mins of continuous playback. This while I was busy surfing etc. I can live with that but I can imagine there could be cases where others experience it a few times during one song - that would be unacceptable.
I will install the ASIO component in Foobar2000 and give that a whirl too, at the very least to avoid a fixed bit-depth setting
beerchug.gif

Regarding the install, what "virtual Device Driver" are you using? Did one come automatically with Chord's "Mojo Windows Driver" executable or do I need to rely on something like ASIO4ALL?

Guys, see this post of mine I made a few weeks back. @Traveller, I don't get the dropouts, but I do get those loud pops/clicks when I seek within a track.
@rkt31, I am trying to avoid using ASIO because it seems to sound dull. So I am sticking with WASAPI, even though I get those loud pops. Do you know why ASIO is not sounding as good as WASAPI? Do I need to change any setting?

Keywords: Loud Pop | Foobar2000 | FB2K | WASAPI | Loud Pop | Loud Click | Seek Bar | Seeking | Windows 7

Talking about Loud Pops: I am using Foobar2000 on my Windows 7 machine with the WASAPI component / plugin. I get loud pops when I try to seek within a track using the seek bar, I get loud pops/clicks. After a bit of research and experimentation, I figured I get the loud pop, only when I use the WASAPI component. When I switch the output to Windows Default or ASIO, I don’t get the loud pop. ASIO seems to mute the first 0.5 seconds, after seeking which I am guessing is a way to prevent this loud pop or click. Please let me know if there is a way to prevent this loud pop when using WASAPI.

So, the good news: the Mojo driver-set includes an ASIO driver which is detected by Foobar2000 / ASIO plugin automatically
cool.gif

28249626582_07054ed5de_c.jpg

The bad news is that NOW I experience stuttering when interacting with other applications (browser loading special content, etc.) I never experienced this with the WASAPI drivers...
confused.gif
I guess I will be forced to try the "Run with high process priority" switch, although I'm not a big fan of giving any single process priority over others...
frown.gif
- Update: Tested - still the occasional stutter. Gbye, ASIO...

Secondly and more importantly, I have to agree with EagleWings - the ASIO drivers sound slightly more laid back than the WASAPI...
blink.gif
My first thought was "that Brit sound" coming from Chord's own ASIO driver but I cannot believe a driver has the ability to "fine-tune" the sound signature. I would imagine at best the driver relays the DACs input options to the OS (max bit depth and so on).
He's also correct re. seeking or pause & play - ASIO is "fading back in to the song." Ironically, it doesn't do so at the start of a song so I still need to keep the "Affix Silence" DSP plugin set to ~750ms.

You should expect 8-10, 7 would be on the low end although I've seen reports of 6.

8-10? I WISH!!!
frown.gif
I've had my brand new Mojo (SN# M035nnn) almost a month now and I guesstimate 7hrs tops. This is based on continuous use (tried to burn it in overnight and ~7hrs later I awoke to a warm, but turned-off Mojo)... . The power LED is blue for <2hrs, and green until about the 4hr-total mark at which point it turns yellow. Yellow represents approximately the 50% mark. So maybe, when not using it in one long session, it might come out to a total of 8hrs in multi-sessions. I will investigate further... .

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #20,088 of 42,765
So, the good news: the Mojo driver-set includes an ASIO driver which is detected by Foobar2000 / ASIO plugin automatically :cool:
28249626582_07054ed5de_c.jpg

The bad news is that [COLOR=FF0000]NOW I experience stuttering[/COLOR] when interacting with other applications (browser loading special content, etc.) I never experienced this with the WASAPI drivers... :confused: I guess I will be forced to try the "Run with high process priority" switch, although I'm not a big fan of giving any single process priority over others... :frowning2: - [COLOR=FF0000]Update: Tested - still the occasional stutter. Gbye, ASIO...[/COLOR]

Secondly and more importantly, I have to agree with EagleWings - [COLOR=FF0000]the ASIO drivers sound slightly more laid back[/COLOR] than the WASAPI... :blink: My first thought was "that Brit sound" coming from Chord's own ASIO driver but I cannot believe a driver has the ability to "fine-tune" the sound signature. I would imagine at best the driver relays the DACs input options to the OS (max bit depth and so on).
He's also correct re. seeking or pause & play - [COLOR=FF0000]ASIO is "fading back in to the song."[/COLOR] Ironically, it doesn't do so at the start of a song so I still need to keep the "Affix Silence" DSP plugin set to ~750ms.

8-10? I WISH!!! :frowning2: I've had my brand new Mojo (SN# M035nnn) almost a month now and I guesstimate 7hrs tops. This is based on continuous use (tried to burn it in overnight and ~7hrs later I awoke to a warm, but turned-off Mojo)... . The power LED is blue for <2hrs, and green until about the 4hr-total mark at which point it turns yellow. Yellow represents approximately the 50% mark. So maybe, when not using it in one long session, it might come out to a total of 8hrs in multi-sessions. I will investigate further... .
I turned on a fully charged Mojo, left it on non stop playing music non stop. Laster without ever turning the Mojo off 7.5 hrs. If I turn the Mojo off and on then lasted less.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #20,090 of 42,765
Jul 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #20,095 of 42,765
Proud new Chord Mojo owner here and wow, I wish I had bought this sooner as it seems I'm late to the party. I've tested with quite a few different IEMs and headphones out of my mobile phone and this thing is just incredible. I think my favorite pairing so far is with my Shockwave 3 IEMs and while they're already fairly easy to drive straight out of a phone, the Mojo just brings them into a new universe. I love this little thing. 

Question: has anyone had trouble charging this with a Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 enabled charger? I know it does not have the quick charging feature, but it didn't seem to want to charge at all with my normal quick charger. I found an older one which is a "normal" 2 amp charger and it worked fine. Odd. 

-Collin-

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #20,096 of 42,765
Proud new Chord Mojo owner here and wow, I wish I had bought this sooner as it seems I'm late to the party. I've tested with quite a few different IEMs and headphones out of my mobile phone and this thing is just incredible. I think my favorite pairing so far is with my Shockwave 3 IEMs and while they're already fairly easy to drive straight out of a phone, the Mojo just brings them into a new universe. I love this little thing. 

Question: has anyone had trouble charging this with a Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 enabled charger? I know it does not have the quick charging feature, but it didn't seem to want to charge at all with my normal quick charger. I found an older one which is a "normal" 2 amp charger and it worked fine. Odd. 

-Collin-

iPhone/xiaomi/Samsung power adapter all work fine, just depend how long for that charging duration and times

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #20,097 of 42,765
So I asked this question in the Hugo thread but I thought I might get some different answers here.

My current set-up is HD 800's - Schiit Valhalla 2 and a Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Would the Mojo work well as a full replacement for the Schiit gear in both a home and mobile set-up? I listen to music in probably an 80/20 split between home and mobile so the Mojo would be great for that but I don't want to lose any quality with my home set-up.

I was also looking at the Hugo but if the Mojo with its newer tech is actually better or close to the Hugo sound quality wise $600 seems much better than $1300 + even used.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #20,098 of 42,765
So I asked this question in the Hugo thread but I thought I might get some different answers here.

My current set-up is HD 800's - Schiit Valhalla 2 and a Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Would the Mojo work well as a full replacement for the Schiit gear in both a home and mobile set-up? I listen to music in probably an 80/20 split between home and mobile so the Mojo would be great for that but I don't want to lose any quality with my home set-up.

I was also looking at the Hugo but if the Mojo with its newer tech is actually better or close to the Hugo sound quality wise $600 seems much better than $1300 + even used.

Subjectively, the 'better' sound will depend on whether you like the Mojo's smoother presentation over the Hugo. Objectively, the Mojo actually measures better and supports more sampling rates for PCM and DSD. The Hugo has crossfeed and Bluetooth and more input/output options (but the inputs/outputs are really no better per-se). Mojo and Hugo share the same output power but the Hugo's battery lasts longer per charge. Subjectively, only you can determine if you like it better than the Schitt gear you have, but I know of many who prefer the Mojo to the Bifrost, but I also know of some who prefer the Bifrost. Measureably the Mojo is better than the Bifrost Multibit and Valhalla2.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #20,099 of 42,765
Turning the Mojo on and off plus taking it out side in the heat will lower the charge. Guess indoors one can teach 8 hrs.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #20,100 of 42,765
Subjectively, the 'better' sound will depend on whether you like the Mojo's smoother presentation over the Hugo. Objectively, the Mojo actually measures better and supports more sampling rates for PCM and DSD. The Hugo has crossfeed and Bluetooth and more input/output options (but the inputs/outputs are really no better per-se). Mojo and Hugo share the same output power but the Hugo's battery lasts longer per charge. Subjectively, only you can determine if you like it better than the Schitt gear you have, but I know of many who prefer the Mojo to the Bifrost, but I also know of some who prefer the Bifrost. Measureably the Mojo is better than the Bifrost Multibit and Valhalla2.

Fair on the "better" sound bit. Thanks for all the comparative info. With the Mojo being objectively better than the Hugo I'm leaning toward it currently especially after reading back through the thread a bit and seeing all of the good impressions regarding it's pairing with the HD 800's. Also with its much lower price point I could pick up and upgraded cable for my HD 800's xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back