Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #19,246 of 42,765
Not exactly, I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to get one.

The offical case is expensive but I feel bad not getting one for my mojo!

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #19,249 of 42,765
Originally Posted by canali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kudos....in the third pic it has a 'hollywood' feel with those lit bulbs like spotlights shining down on the show.
would love one day to try some ak or jh...perhaps the rosies.
anyway enjoy...you can't get much better than that...please share how they sound (which i'm sure will be stellar)

Thank you sir - needless to say, quite a leap from my Etymotics ER-4S and Headroom Bithead. I need some time but I will certainly report back once the gear is properly burned-in (which incl. my ears
tongue.gif
)

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they sound? I just got some Angie V2's and should have my Mojo in this week. 

Congrats - I think it's a winning combo but as noted above, investment in time is needed for a proper answer. As you have more experience than me it could be that you beat me to the punch
beerchug.gif

...bought [the Mojo case], because I have this obsessive need to protect all my devices in a good case... .

Ditto here. This morning was the first time I went to transport it and thought... anodized Al... yikes. But I do have one concern about said case; Al has a natural property of acting as a heat sink for the Mojo, albeit not a very good one, having no "fins". If we cover it by a case it will be even harder to dissipate the heat. And one of the first things I noted is the (well-documented) heat this little puppy can produce...
blink.gif

Because we have the extender module and the more complex modules underway it's was always our plan to offer a well made longer case too.

I'm sure it has been discussed (...more than once) but you will forgive me if I get lost in this rather "small" thread... heat dissipation & case... not an issue, I take it...
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #19,251 of 42,765

Hmm those EW9 look NICE...
Do you or somebody else know how they compare to the w1000x?
Can't convince myself to buy IEMs, so maybe these could be great for my portable setup. I really enjoy the w1000x but they aren't very usable on the go.

Cheers

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #19,252 of 42,765
Not meaning to play devil's advocate here but why not use a longer USB OTG cable and place it a few inches or feet away from your phone? If you've got a phone constantly rattling the sound looking for a signal when reception is bad then just switch it to Airplane mode and store some of your Spotify or Tidal for offline use. Hell I have unlimited verizon with my Nexus 6 and I still keep a few Tidal playlists offline just in case I'm stuck somewhere with no signal. 

Not trying to step on any toes, just offering alternatives and workarounds. 

Longer cable makes very little difference, the cable functions as an antenna for RF anyway. I've never stacked. Airplane mode is not an option as I stream a lot.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #19,254 of 42,765
Make mico b to micro b for android -> mojo that nearly eliminates all RF/EMI and it'll sell like hotcakes. Don't even know if it's possible given what I've seen so far.

​did you ever consider that you may have a faulty unit? my nexus 5 causes no interference whatsoever with the SQ of mojo. No ferrite chokes, no super expensive cables and no need for airplane mode. Perhaps the antenna location is different than in your case, but with my rig nothing but awesome sound reproduction.

I am in no way doubting what you are describing on the forum, it just seems like you may have a bad unit

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #19,255 of 42,765
Does the Mojo benefit from an external amplifier for high impedance headphones such as my HD650s? I did try the Mojo connected to a Burson Soloist SL Mk2 (Mojo in line out mode) with an HD800S but I'm having problems with my hearing and have just started steroid medication to help. I'm having nagging doubts that the Mojo is the last word in headphone amplification.

The Mojo works well as an external DAC for my PC and Stax Omega II, albeit that the soundstage is slightly narrower than the Chord Hugo. However, the treble is slightly tamed restraining the Omega IIs from straying into sharpness.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #19,256 of 42,765

​did you ever consider that you may have a faulty unit? my nexus 5 causes no interference whatsoever with the SQ of mojo. No ferrite chokes, no super expensive cables and no need for airplane mode. Perhaps the antenna location is different than in your case, but with my rig nothing but awesome sound reproduction.

I am in no way doubting what you are describing on the forum, it just seems like you may have a bad unit

Actually quite a few people (including myself) have reported RF/EMI with their Mojo when paired with a smartphone not in Airplane mode..

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #19,257 of 42,765
Actually quite a few people (including myself) have reported RF/EMI with their Mojo when paired with a smartphone not in Airplane mode..
whats interesting is in wifi its present but bearable as you cant hear it at all during music, also has bouts of silence. When in normal data streaming mode its bad, like really bad

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #19,258 of 42,765

There are a lot of factors to consider, such as signal strength, distance to WiFi/cel tower, network/WiFi channel chosen, interference in the signal, etc.. The Mojo isn't the only device that picks up EMI/RF, especially using cellular networks. This makes it extremely difficult to point to the unit as being faulty. For example, when I'm on 3G or LTE I get no RF/EMI issues with the Mojo. As soon as I turn on 2G it gets nuts. Read around Head Fi and you'll see that devices such as the DP-X1 and FiiO X7 also pick up RF/EMI when streaming. It seems to be just the way it is.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #19,260 of 42,765
Could the Mojo have been built in a way that would prevent RF/EMI interference, like with some kind of shielding? I'm ignorant about such things, so pardon me if this is a stupid question.

Even with shielding of the circuitboard, the signal cable (microUSB cable) can pick-up RF from the phone (which is in almost-continual communication with local cell towers, even when not making a call or streaming) and carry that into the circuit.

Even with the best will in the world, there's only just so much one can do to minimise RF.

I do appreciate that it may be tempting to assume that some of us may be 'just making excuses' for Mojo, but that's not the situation, here.

RF is a major problem for many devices, and Mojo is not magically 100% immune, either.

As has been mentioned, certain frequencies can cause more issues than others, and another major factor, also mentioned, a few times in this thread, is the distance one's phone happens to be from the nearest cell-tower(s). It's tempting to believe that a tiny smartphone can't kick-out much RF, but actually, they have to broadcast around half a mile or so, to a cell-tower, and when one considers that Mojo is having to sit just a few inches away, and with a digital cable that accidentally behaves as an antenna for all that stray RF, it puts into perspective how impossible it is for Mojo to reject 100% of that RF. Wi-fi may involve less broadcast distance, but it's still orders of magnitude further away than the few inches between the phone and Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back