Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 16, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #18,796 of 42,759

Okay, but I'd still line up for a Mojo TT with balanced line outs. 
L3000.gif

That may not be worth it since they have said for the particular architecture in the Mojo, single ended is actually better. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #18,797 of 42,759
Okay, but I'd still line up for a Mojo TT with balanced line outs. :L3000:

FYI, Hugo TT and DAVE have balanced outs but the DAC architecture is SE. They are there for convenience when using an amp with balanced input. Indeed recent reports on the DAVE thread have implied that the SE out from Rob's TOTL DAC sounds better than the balanced out. Balanced out with Chord DACs is not necessary for audio fidelity and transparency given that they solved many of the SE issues at the source, unlike 'off the shelf' solutions. There's a host of very good reasons why the Mojo, Hugo, HugoTT, and DAVE are using SE architecture, and many of Rob's informative posts explain why.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #18,799 of 42,759
FYI, Hugo TT and DAVE have balanced outs but the DAC architecture is SE. They are there for convenience when using an amp with balanced input. Indeed recent reports on the DAVE thread have implied that the SE out from Rob's TOTL DAC sounds better than the balanced out. Balanced out with Chord DACs is not necessary for audio fidelity and transparency given that they solved many of the SE issues at the source, unlike 'off the shelf' solutions. There's a host of very good reasons why the Mojo, Hugo, HugoTT, and DAVE are using SE architecture, and many of Rob's informative posts explain why.

Lol, that report was one guy is at best what I'd call a mid level amp of unknown design. In that case, personally I'd stick with the TT as a standalone. With the GS-X Mk2..the TT balanced is quite a step up with the LCD-4, HE1000, T1G2, HD800S. So like most things in life....it depends. 
smile.gif
 FWIW, with my easier to drive headphones (like my Grado PS1000e or GH-1), I use the TT only.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #18,800 of 42,759
Lol, that report was one guy is at best what I'd call a starter-mid level amp. With the GS-X Mk2..the TT balanced is quite a step up with the LCD-4, HE1000, T1G2, HD800S. So like most things in life....it depends. :smile:  

Sure, like all things. Just saying it's not really the determining factor with Chord DACs... SE vs balanced. I'm sure the topology of the amp would have more influence than the method of output from the Chord DACs when volume matched.

:)

Edit: Just saw your edit. If it were me I'd just use the HO from the TT as well if the headphones didn't require more juice.

:beerchug:

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #18,802 of 42,759
Oh, well if we're fantasising about a desktop Mojo (which I think of as Dojo, fwiw), here's my version of the fantasy:

1. A physical volume knob.  General reason: they're just nice to have!  Personal reason it's at the top of my list: because I participate in a bloody lot of conference calls whose volume varies by 10s of dB from participant to participant, and up/down buttons are too slow.  I keep a separate DAC/amp stack on my desk just for this, and while I certainly don't need Chord quality for these calls (ha! as if), I'd like the tidiness of a single-box solution.

2. A "line-out" on the back.  Unbalanced is fine with me.  Switching off when headphones are plugged in is fine with me.  Adjusts with volume knob would be nice.  Separate memory for rear-output and front-output volumes would be very desirable.

3. Full-sized and mini-sized headphone jacks on front.

4. Transportable enough to carry between office and home daily if I want.  I don't care about on-the-go use (I have Mojo for that), but I'd like Dojo to be small and light enough that I don't much mind adding it to my backpack.  To me this means roughly Hugo category of transportable.  I assume this rules out galvanic isolation, and that's OK with me.

5. Features / audio quality: whatever can be added by giving Mojo's basic internals a bigger power/thermal envelope consistent with desktop/mains-powered use.  I'd fully trust Mr. Watts' judgment on how best to allocate that.

6. Price: somehow less than two Mojos.  Would love it to be 1.5 Mojos.

And I'm admitting it's a fantasy, OK?  Chord and Mr. Watts are already keeping quite a few plates spinning as it is.

(Wikipedia says Dojo 'literally means "place of the way"' which for some reason I find pleasing in this context.)

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #18,803 of 42,759
  Oh, well if we're fantasising about a desktop Mojo (which I think of as Dojo, fwiw), here's my version of the fantasy:

1. A physical volume knob.  General reason: they're just nice to have!  Personal reason it's at the top of my list: because I participate in a bloody lot of conference calls whose volume varies by 10s of dB from participant to participant, and up/down buttons are too slow.  I keep a separate DAC/amp stack on my desk just for this, and while I certainly don't need Chord quality for these calls (ha! as if), I'd like the tidiness of a single-box solution.

2. A "line-out" on the back.  Unbalanced is fine with me.  Switching off when headphones are plugged in is fine with me.  Adjusts with volume knob would be nice.  Separate memory for rear-output and front-output volumes would be very desirable.

4. Transportable enough to carry between office and home daily if I want.  I don't care about on-the-go use (I have Mojo for that), but I'd like Dojo to be small and light enough that I don't much mind adding it to my backpack.  To me this means roughly Hugo category of transportable.  I assume this rules out galvanic isolation, and that's OK with me.

5. Features / audio quality: whatever can be added by giving Mojo's basic internals a bigger power/thermal envelope consistent with desktop/mains-powered use.  I'd fully trust Mr. Watts' judgment on how best to allocate that.

And I'm admitting it's a fantasy, OK?  Chord and Mr. Watts are already keeping quite a few plates spinning as it is.

(Wikipedia says Dojo 'literally means "place of the way"' which for some reason I find pleasing in this context.)

This. I'd definitely buy one.

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #18,804 of 42,759
  This. I'd definitely buy one.

I would buy this in a heart beat!!!

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #18,805 of 42,759
Will this work with Mojo and iPhone 6? http://www.ebay.com/itm/L19-Lightning-to-Micro-USB-Audio-Adapter-Cable-for-FiiO-E17K-E18-Q1-iPhone-5-6S/381563306483?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37252%26meid%3D183d916937c04d16a58d0c51fa409e48%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D381640511738. Thanks in advance. 
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #18,806 of 42,759

• A physical volume knob.  General reason: they're just nice to have!  Personal reason it's at the top of my list: because I participate in a bloody lot of conference calls whose volume varies by 10s of dB from participant to participant, and up/down buttons are too slow.  I keep a separate DAC/amp stack on my desk just for this, and while I certainly don't need Chord quality for these calls (ha! as if), I'd like the tidiness of a single-box solution.

• A "line-out" on the back.  Unbalanced is fine with me.  Switching off when headphones are plugged in is fine with me.  Adjusts with volume knob would be nice.  Separate memory for rear-output and front-output volumes would be very desirable.

• Full-sized and mini-sized headphone jacks on front.

• Transportable enough to carry between office and home daily if I want.  I don't care about on-the-go use (I have Mojo for that), but I'd like Dojo to be small and light enough that I don't much mind adding it to my backpack.  To me this means roughly Hugo category of transportable.  I assume this rules out galvanic isolation, and that's OK with me.

• Features / audio quality: whatever can be added by giving Mojo's basic internals a bigger power/thermal envelope consistent with desktop/mains-powered use.  I'd fully trust Mr. Watts' judgment on how best to allocate that.

• Price: somehow less than two Mojos.  Would love it to be 1.5 Mojos.

Thank you for your posting At first I thought it was a loblow and bit cheeky of you as in many places the word Dodo is synonymous with something that is totally Dead and buried and Mojo is very far from that though I'm sure our competitors should wish that were true. Rob and I will take some time out to look through your thoughts to see if any might be valid we will let you know.

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #18,807 of 42,759
:eek:

Cool John!

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #18,808 of 42,759

This  one sounds great.
https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-1-0M-Evergreen-Audio-Interconnect/dp/B00EJNRPBQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466032818&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=3.5+to+orca+audioquest

Thanks, but if I want to keep using my Wireworld Oasis 6, isn't enough to buy just the 3,5mm to RCA adaptor I linked before?

BTW I just placed an order for my Mojo..can't wait to hear it and hopefully it will blows my mind and ears!

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #18,809 of 42,759
http://www.stereophile.com/content/axpona-lower-level-vistas#HVWFh2dsD4ltHldY.97   wow, kef top of the line speakers paired with mojo, can't believe it. the link was picked up from a forum which is known chord mojo/hugo hater. i believe the thread which started as mojo hater now converted into mojo lover thread courtesy some of the very satisfied mojo users. the link highlights the fact that despite its small size mojo can well be used in a full set up and people preferring some 6 times more expensive sc**** dac just because mojo is small are not correct. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back