Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 3, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #18,423 of 42,759
  Will the Chord Mojo work with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, or should I get a desktop DAC like the Emotiva Stealth DAC 1,, the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, or some other similar device?

It works great with RCA interconnects.

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → AQ Sky → LC → HD 800S (WW Platinum)

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #18,424 of 42,759
Will the Chord Mojo work with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, or should I get a desktop DAC like the Emotiva Stealth DAC 1,, the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus, or some other similar device?

Works great!

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #18,425 of 42,759
I own a Mojo and the Liquid Carbon.  I love both of them. Great products with which I am extremely satisfied because they both make music enjoyable and easy to listen to.  That said, I have never been in the slightest tempted to AMP the Mojo because it has a lot of output power and just doesn't need it with my HD 800 S.  

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #18,426 of 42,759

Hi @taz23,

I don't want to destroy your dreams or expectations, but I have the feeling that you will get closer to Dave let's say one or two steps out of the 1000 steps remaining
wink_face.gif

Kidding and teasing...but interested in your findings with Intona.
beerchug.gif

Please let us know your impressions :)

Hi guys,

Yes, I was joking about it sounding like Dave.  I am sure Rob put in more secrets into the Dave than just having galvanic isolation.  Plus, I have not listened to the Dave, so I do not have any reference to that.

I tried out the Mojo with and without the Intona unit.  Here are my unscientific findings:

1) With the Intona in between, the music has a more 3D feel to it; it is like the depth dimension has been fleshed out.  This results in better instrument separation and imaging in the depth dimension.  It seems to me that the soundstage width remained the same.  Overall, I get more of the concert hall feeling.

2) With the Intona, it feels that the bass impact is slightly stronger, but I am less sure about this than the first point.  It could also be that the volume increased slightly because it seems that things get clearer very slightly.  Please note that I did not meddle with the volume buttons on the Mojo when switching in and out the Intona. 

3) As a point of reference, when using my Android device as the source, the soundstage depth was lacking and things are relatively flat.  This improved when using my Windows laptop (Surface 3), giving a more 3D feel.  The improvement took place further when I placed the Intona between the Surface 3 and Mojo.

One thing for sure, the Intona did not degrade the music.  I also heard that people had better results when using the REGEN after the Intona, but I have not tried that.

Happy listening!

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #18,428 of 42,759
Is it better to keep the Mojo on 24/7 for capacitor longevity for desktop use or better to turn it off after use?

My $0.02... Even though Chord has said the Mojo has a very long lived battery under normal usage I would think leaving the unit on 24/7 would be terrible for the battery health. If ever intending to use the Mojo on the go, or unplugged, then I wouldn't recommend leaving the unit on 24/7 (hence being plugged in 24/7). That's based on Lithium battery tech in general and the result from typically leaving them plugged in for looooong periods of time.

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #18,430 of 42,759

"The DM+ could not match the Mojo for sound reproduction in mine and 2 other guinea pigs’ opinions. More musical, more going on, more texture to the voices and the guitars, more echo, these were the sorts of comments being traded back and forth in favour of the Mojo."

This what I put in my review all the way back in October 2015. I sold my DM+ soon after on ebay. The Mojo wiped the floor with it. I don't know the Liquid Carbon but several people speak highly of it - including @x RELIC x

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #18,431 of 42,759
  "The DM+ could not match the Mojo for sound reproduction in mine and 2 other guinea pigs’ opinions. More musical, more going on, more texture to the voices and the guitars, more echo, these were the sorts of comments being traded back and forth in favour of the Mojo."

This what I put in my review all the way back in October 2015. I sold my DM+ soon after on ebay. The Mojo wiped the floor with it. I don't know the Liquid Carbon but several people speak highly of it - including @x RELIC x

This. I had the DM+ for couple years and I first got the Ether C recently and thought it sounded very impressive out of it, but a little thin and fatiguing. Then got the Mojo and man...
It is ridiculous how much better this sounds, very, VERY realistic sound that you can almost feel. The soundstage comes alive and everything becomes very engaging
and the harshness of the treble totally gone. With the Mojo you can listen for days without hint of fatigue its just so smooth and fast and also the detail is way better.

This being said I might still keep my DM+ for my HD600s because of its treble properties play well with the more warmer sounding HD600 :)

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #18,432 of 42,759

I agree with @x RELIC x - the Mojo will last better switched off when not in use to preserve the battery life. The capacitors will last for many many years. The battery will last much shorter if kept switched on all the time

IMHO, except for preserving the battery life longer, I wouldn't worry so much and switch off Mojo when not in use.
In theory, it is true, that if you never switch off or unplug/plug any cable the life expectancy should be longer. But is the ratio worthwhile, I don' think so.

In non consumer electronic equipments, manufacturers are defining MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure). Guess what ? The values are around 100 years!
This doesn't mean that your item may not break sooner but it means that components are chosen/designed in this perspective.
I don't know the MTBF value for Mojo, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is around the 50 years figure (without battery). 

Therefore,take normal care of your Mojo, and just enjoy listenning.
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #18,433 of 42,759

Hi guys,

Yes, I was joking about it sounding like Dave.  I am sure Rob put in more secrets into the Dave than just having galvanic isolation.  Plus, I have not listened to the Dave, so I do not have any reference to that.

I tried out the Mojo with and without the Intona unit.  Here are my unscientific findings:

1) With the Intona in between, the music has a more 3D feel to it; it is like the depth dimension has been fleshed out.  This results in better instrument separation and imaging in the depth dimension.  It seems to me that the soundstage width remained the same.  Overall, I get more of the concert hall feeling.

2) With the Intona, it feels that the bass impact is slightly stronger, but I am less sure about this than the first point.  It could also be that the volume increased slightly because it seems that things get clearer very slightly.  Please note that I did not meddle with the volume buttons on the Mojo when switching in and out the Intona. 

3) As a point of reference, when using my Android device as the source, the soundstage depth was lacking and things are relatively flat.  This improved when using my Windows laptop (Surface 3), giving a more 3D feel.  The improvement took place further when I placed the Intona between the Surface 3 and Mojo.

One thing for sure, the Intona did not degrade the music.  I also heard that people had better results when using the REGEN after the Intona, but I have not tried that.

Happy listening!

Hi @taz23,

Thanks for your feedback, it is interesting. Please which Intona version did you purchase ? Standard or Industrial one ?
For an audiophile usage, there is no reason to choose anything else than the standard one but it seems that some have noticed some improvement with the industrial one.

In my electronic point of view,  I will not stack more USB 'cleaners/purifiers' to your Intona.
By adding items acting at same level (clocking/impedance/RF isolation) and interfaces (cables) you are adding more noises not the opposite.

In an audiophile point of view, only your ears will know if the result sound is pleasing better or not.

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #18,434 of 42,759
Any ideas to stack X5 1st gen and a Mojo?

I've been using the official HS9 leather case on the X5 since the day I received it. What's the best way to stack and at the same time protect the X5 + Mojo combo?

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #18,435 of 42,759
Any ideas to stack X5 1st gen and a Mojo?

I've been using the official HS9 leather case on the X5 since the day I received it. What's the best way to stack and at the same time protect the X5 + Mojo combo?
Velcro and dont drop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back