Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 11, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #17,476 of 42,765
  I can confirm (if this hasn't been done so already as I am a few pages back as we speak)

Mojo will play Google Music, streaming via Android.......

But be aware

Android will up sample to 192Khz

angry_face.gif

Edit as long as your Android device supports OTG

I believe it may be possible to hardcode the usb output sample rate on Android. On my rooted Nexus 5 running 6.0.1, there is a file under /system/etc/ called audio_policy.conf that contains various sample rate settings. One looks like this:

usb  {
    outputs  {
        usb_device  {
            sampling_rates dynamic

Other entries have "sampling_rate 44100", so I'm thinking if one were to change the word "dynamic" to "44100", we might get hardcoded 44100 output to the Mojo. I don't actually have a Mojo to test this on yet, but maybe someone with a rooted (preferably Nexus because it should match this config) Android phone can give this a shot. I will try this when I pick up my own Mojo in a couple weeks.

May 11, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #17,477 of 42,765
I must say. Props to the little mojo. I walked into jaben yesterday with my Rosie's plugged in.

Sat down. Plugged a 480ohm r70x jnto one port, a hd650 in the other a d proceeded to a/b them.

The little mojo didn't break a sweat.

It is odd. Using USB audio player pro my mojo sounds smoother from my s7 edge than it does from my z3 compact. No idea why.

May 11, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #17,478 of 42,765
About when can we order Chord Mojo cases? I have money in my wallet that is looking at me with puppy eyes saying "please spend me."
redface.gif

May 11, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #17,479 of 42,765
I must say. Props to the little mojo. I walked into jaben yesterday with my Rosie's plugged in.

Sat down. Plugged a 480ohm r70x jnto one port, a hd650 in the other a d proceeded to a/b them.

The little mojo didn't break a sweat.

It is odd. Using USB audio player pro my mojo sounds smoother from my s7 edge than it does from my z3 compact. No idea why.

The engineering in the little Mojo is remarkable. I know Rob explained why it's so capable to drive two full sized headphones with ease earlier, but I can't remember the exact reason (it's likely linked in the third post) . I do know that I was duly impressed when I read it. As to the Sony, I expect that there may be some undefeatable DSP in the Sony, or its output isn't as clean as the S7 Edge (perhaps it's the proprietary Sony connector causing it?). It could also be a difference of bit-perfect playback.

A few days ago someone questioned (on another thread) that the designer of the Mojo wasn't really a famous or capable(implied) audio engineer. I just had to laugh because they obviously, truly have no clue. Rob is more than capable and, IMO, way ahead of the curve. Some people just can't get their head around that. All they care about is Femto this, DSD that, buzz word compliant new FOTM with everything else off the assembly line floor. Even Baldr (Mike of Schiit Audio) recently said the ONLY benefit to standard audio chip design is cost - Link. When a person reads all the valuable information posted by Rob regarding his approach one really gets a deeper appreciation for what he is doing from DAC to output. I'm surprised Chord hasn't thrown a muzzle on him, but no other manufacturer seems to be picking up his brilliance (not to the level he is taking it) so I'm sure Chord doesn't have much to worry about. I'm still exceedingly impressed with the Mojo, especially for its size and price! Now, if you want to read some truly impressive posts from Rob go read the DAVE thread.

May 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #17,480 of 42,765
The engineering in the little Mojo is remarkable. I know Rob explained why it's so capable to drive two full sized headphones with ease earlier, but I can't remember the exact reason (it's likely linked in the third post) . I do know that I was duly impressed when I read it. As to the Sony, I expect that there may be some undefeatable DSP in the Sony, or its output isn't as clean as the S7 Edge (perhaps it's the proprietary Sony connector causing it?). It could also be a difference of bit-perfect playback.

A few days ago someone questioned (on another thread) that the designer of the Mojo wasn't really a famous or capable(implied) audio engineer. I just had to laugh because they obviously, truly have no clue. Rob is more than capable and, IMO, way ahead of the curve. Some people just can't get their head around that. All they care about is Femto this, DSD that, buzz word compliant new FOTM with everything else off the assembly line floor. Even Baldr (Mike of Schiit Audio) recently said the ONLY benefit to standard audio chip design is cost - Link. When a person reads all the valuable information posted by Rob regarding his approach one really gets a deeper appreciation for what he is doing from DAC to output. I'm surprised Chord hasn't thrown a muzzle on him, but no other manufacturer seems to be picking up his brilliance (not to the level he is taking it) so I'm sure Chord doesn't have much to worry about. I'm still exceedingly impressed with the Mojo, especially for its size and price! Now, if you want to read some truly impressive posts from Rob go read the DAVE thread.

Oh no, not the Dave. That undithered -90dB sine wave is elixir for all OCD people (including myself). 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #17,481 of 42,765
Oh no, not the Dave. That undithered -90dB sine wave is elixir for all OCD people (including myself). :veryevil:  

I'm close... Just have a wife to get through, and a job I took on for it. :blink:

May 11, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #17,482 of 42,765
I believe it may be possible to hardcode the usb output sample rate on Android. On my rooted Nexus 5 running 6.0.1, there is a file under /system/etc/ called audio_policy.conf that contains various sample rate settings. One looks like this:

usb  {
    outputs  {
        usb_device  {
            sampling_rates dynamic

Other entries have "sampling_rate 44100", so I'm thinking if one were to change the word "dynamic" to "44100", we might get hardcoded 44100 output to the Mojo. I don't actually have a Mojo to test this on yet, but maybe someone with a rooted (preferably Nexus because it should match this config) Android phone can give this a shot. I will try this when I pick up my own Mojo in a couple weeks.

Great. I was planning on trying the same too. I just gotta wait for a root for my note 4 6.0.1.

Interestingly, on my LG G3 also on 6.0.1, when the mojo is connected and I use spotify it stays red.

May 11, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #17,483 of 42,765
There's a photo from Tokyo showing Mojo paired with Cv5 to Andromeda iems.  My understanding is that Mojo drives most headphones and iems well.  Any comments on what Cv5, or another amp, would add?  (Just got my Andromedas today, and they sound great with Tidal through iphone and Mojo.)

May 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #17,484 of 42,765
I have been in the touch of with some 'vintage' loving people. like all vintage gear they swear by those old CD players of r2r tech. while non digital vintage gear like amp and speakers are still comparable to newer Amps or speakers but that is not true for CD players and DACs. when I told them that little DAC can better even many high end CD players of any era, obviously they were not convinced but when I auditioned them their favorite hotel California from hell freezes over , the smile on their face while listening through Beyer dt880 600ohm was telling everything.

May 11, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #17,485 of 42,765
I have been in the touch of with some 'vintage' loving people. like all vintage gear they swear by those old CD players of r2r tech. while non digital vintage gear like amp and speakers are still comparable to newer Amps or speakers but that is not true for CD players and DACs. when I told them that little DAC can better even many high end CD players of any era, obviously they were not convinced but when I auditioned them their favorite hotel California from hell freezes over , the smile on their face while listening through Beyer dt880 600ohm was telling everything.

Would love to hear the dt880 with mojo paired. Had a real sterile dac and amp combo with it, of course it sounded so shrill. Now that I know the signature of mojo, cans like dt880 would do so well with it. Assuming it can drive the 600 ohm version fully.

May 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #17,486 of 42,765
There's a photo from Tokyo showing Mojo paired with Cv5 to Andromeda iems.  My understanding is that Mojo drives most headphones and iems well.  Any comments on what Cv5, or another amp, would add?  (Just got my Andromedas today, and they sound great with Tidal through iphone and Mojo.)

The ALO Cv5 would add some nice tube colouration I imagine. Looking to grab one myself.

May 12, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #17,487 of 42,765

That happened a few times last week but...even restarting iPhone gave no recognition. 

On to other news, I got to share my "Mojo" with a camera crew yesterday while filming a US daily crime show.  I was asking the crew about his equipment and he offered me advice and said, "You gotta get a good digital to audio converter more than most people realize!" to which I said, "hang on a minute" and went over to my brief case and said, "I don't leave home without it!"  I talked about Chord's responsiveness to audiophiles here, as well as the quality of Mojo.  Because I was there for 'lie detection', it was interesting to talk about truth in advertising and the forthrightness of Rob's posts and Chord's replies.  

Yeah, this was on camera, too.  
cool.gif
  Nice publicity for the little magic box.  

Wow! Nice!!

May 12, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #17,488 of 42,765
Got my replacement mojo after my original's USB input died. Been without it for two weeks, and am so happy to have it back. It is mesmerizing with my LA7000s. So detailed and warm (rare combo), and musical. Listening just wasn't the same while it was gone.

May 12, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #17,489 of 42,765

That happened a few times last week but...even restarting iPhone gave no recognition. 

On to other news, I got to share my "Mojo" with a camera crew yesterday while filming a US daily crime show.  I was asking the crew about his equipment and he offered me advice and said, "You gotta get a good digital to audio converter more than most people realize!" to which I said, "hang on a minute" and went over to my brief case and said, "I don't leave home without it!"  I talked about Chord's responsiveness to audiophiles here, as well as the quality of Mojo.  Because I was there for 'lie detection', it was interesting to talk about truth in advertising and the forthrightness of Rob's posts and Chord's replies.  

Yeah, this was on camera, too.  
cool.gif
  Nice publicity for the little magic box.  

Nice anecdote, but what was the guy's reaction? Did you get him to have a quick audition?

May 12, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #17,490 of 42,765
If one enjoys the sounds coming from the Mojo and wants that sound signature from a dap then get a Cowon Pleneu M, P1 or S. Sounds very close to the Mojo. Just ny opinion from my experience having the Mojo, P1 , and M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back