Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 10, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #17,416 of 42,765
The up-sampler in the computer is much worse than the WTA filter in the Mojo so according to Rob it's always best to leave the original file playing at it's native sampling rate to allow the Mojo to do it's amazing filtering from a bit perfect signal. I find that generally the up-sampling in computers is pretty bad compared to the filters in a good DAC at a given sampling rate. The only thing up-sampling (or real time conversion to DSD) is good for, IMO, is marketing to people who don't know any better. YMMV. That's the main reason I purchased Audirvana+ for the Mac long ago (way before Mojo), so I don't have to constantly switch the sampling rate in the Midi controller.

I'd also like to point out, in general, that sounding 'better' is so subjective that it really would help if 'better' was defined. For example, "16/44.1 (the original bit depth/sampling rate) sounded smoother with no up-sampling, less harsh". This would go a long way on Head Fi to understand what is going on, and for so many different threads. 'Better' is so ambiguous and subjective.

BTW, how have you been Tamal?

I suppose I should have qualified that statement, 16/44.1 definitely did sound smoother than the up sampled rate which sounded harsher and less natural, as you said. I literally didn't know about how OSX handles audio until I read Amos' post. Definitely will be keeping it in mind as I move forward. I am not a fan of upsampling in general, and most of my off line music is 16/44 wav, with a few 24/96 albums that will be converted to 16/44 wav shortly. Not really into DSD, my kind of music isn't usually released in those formats.

Given that most of my music is from Spotify and the likes, are there any options like Audirvana+ for streaming services? Any I don't mean to take the thread OT, but definitely learned a lot thanks Craig :) Been good, took a break from head-fi earlier and am back with my batteries recharged. Saving up for my own Mojo as well :p However its not going so well because I keep getting distracted by new headphones lol. But I will get there eventually :wink:

Correct about what OSX does. You do NOT want it to do this. OSX up-sampling is of far inferior quality to what the Mojo is capable of. Many of us use products such as Audirvana Plus, Amarra, Vox and others that automatically changes the output to match the track being played. You also do not want system sounds being played through the same output as the music, as that will degrade the sound.

I have been using mac for years and now I find this out :/  Thanks Amos, I changed the system sounds settings. Given that most of my music is from streaming services, I don't have much in the way of options for audiophile music software.

But I did like how the mojo was just plug and play no fuss, hence why I will stick with mac for the foreseeable future, dacs are plug and play for the most part.

May 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #17,417 of 42,765
I wonder if this issue has been why a few people weren't impressed with the sound from the Mojo. 

May 10, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #17,418 of 42,765
As for streaming services: tidal has audio exclusive mode. This means Tidal is able to output bit perfect signal, separate from OSX audio. When this mode is enabled, one can listen to music from Mojo and playing YouTube video from Mac speakers at same time.

May 10, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #17,419 of 42,765
Correct about what OSX does. You do NOT want it to do this. OSX up-sampling is of far inferior quality to what the Mojo is capable of. Many of us use products such as Audirvana Plus, Amarra, Vox and others that automatically changes the output to match the track being played. You also do not want system sounds being played through the same output as the music, as that will degrade the sound.

I took off sampling rate from windows 10 and left all unchecked in sound properties and sound improved. Thanks!
Someone should add this to sticky.

May 10, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #17,420 of 42,765
  I wonder if this issue has been why a few people weren't impressed with the sound from the Mojo. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I genuinely had no idea about those things till you mentioned them, its certainly not common knowledge :/  I agree, should be stickied.

EDIT: I mean the stuff about system sounds, and to check for auto sampling. I am good about making sure I dont choose up sampling options but I didn't realize that OSX as a whole tends to do it automatically. BAD APPPLE, BAD!

May 10, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #17,421 of 42,765

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I genuinely had no idea about those things till you mentioned them, its certainly not common knowledge :/  I agree, should be stickied.

EDIT: I mean the stuff about system sounds, and to check for auto sampling. I am good about making sure I dont choose up sampling options but I didn't realize that OSX as a whole tends to do it automatically. BAD APPPLE, BAD!

Even Android OS upsample all USB audio out to 192 Khz :frowning2:
Wish we can change this featur.
I mostly use Apple Music, so i have no option, i have to listen @ upsampled 192 Khz sound.
But personally i don't find much difference :) May be i am just trying to convey my heart :D

May 10, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #17,423 of 42,765
Does anyone feel like there is a need to use an amp with the Mojo at all for best results or it's good enough as is?
can improve the over all sound.

May 10, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #17,424 of 42,765
Does anyone feel like there is a need to use an amp with the Mojo at all for best results or it's good enough as is?
can improve the over all sound.

Again, improve the overall sound in what way? Rob is going for transparency to the original performance (not the digital file), so adding an amp adds distortion and colouration to his DAC. If that's your thing then that's cool, but the Mojo is very capable to drive many headphones with many different efficiencies well, and with extremely resolving capability. As you may know, the output of the Mojo is essentially a variable line out from the DAC so you can't really get a cleaner signal from the DAC than that. Also, the output is a very impressive 5V so there aren't many headphones that it can't drive with authority. In this case just because it's small doesn't mean it can't pack a punch. Indeed, I was very surprised at how powerful this little thing is. No, it isn't as powerful as a powerful desktop amp, but it does drive many headphones well.

A better question to ask is "Does the Mojo struggle to drive headphone XXX well?" From there a more accurate answer can be given.

May 10, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #17,425 of 42,765
Again, improve the overall sound in what way? Rob is going for transparency to the original performance (not the digital file), so adding an amp adds distortion and colouration to his DAC. If that's your thing then that's cool, but the Mojo is very capable to drive many headphones with many different efficiencies well, and with extremely resolving capability. As you may know, the output of the Mojo is essentially a variable line out from the DAC so you can't really get a cleaner signal from the DAC than that. Also, the output is a very impressive 5V so there aren't many headphones that it can't drive with authority. In this case just because it's small doesn't mean it can't pack a punch. Indeed, I was very surprised at how powerful this little thing is. No, it isn't as powerful as a powerful desktop amp, but it does drive many headphones well.

A better question to ask is "Does the Mojo struggle to drive headphone XXX well?" From there a more accurate answer can be given.
Im in Hong Kong and I personally know five local guys amping their Hugos and they do not want "distortion". On Heaf Fi I know four guys with multipal top end products who add an amp to their Mojo.

May 10, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #17,426 of 42,765
Im in Hong Kong and I personally know five local guys amping their Hugos and they do not want "distortion". On Heaf Fi I know four guys with multipal top end products who add an amp to their Mojo.

OK, congrats! I'm glad they like it. I use an amp sometimes too.

My point was I think we should be more specific when asking questions like "will this thing drive headphones well?" The Abyss, no. The ETHER C, yes.

May 10, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #17,427 of 42,765
If you are looking for the ultimate sound quality on the go, you will need to have a stack of portable devices so large that it is not really portable, e.g. using the AK380Cu as a transport only to feed the Hugo and then into another headphone amp. I respect those who do it - I just don't do it anymore.  If the stack stays at home, it becomes obsolete - there are much better and much more expensive DACs (most expensive is what I find most of the AK supporters are really after), once desktop gear comes into play. The desktop gear would just wipe the floor with any AK or any portable DACs/DAPs both in SQ and in price. Therefore I don't see a point carrying a large stack. To me, just the AK380Cu and a pair of good IEMs, be it K10, Layla or SE846, would make me a really happy guy. 

May 10, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #17,428 of 42,765
Yet many reviewers say the Mojo is more capable than many desktop DACs worth much more than it's price. Based on my experience and listening I would agree, up to a point. With conventional chips like Sabre, AKM, Wolfson, Cirrus Logic, your metric would be correct.

May 10, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #17,430 of 42,765
Does anyone know if it is possible to stream Google Music on Android using mojo? I have been searching for a solution but haven't found one yet. Has anyone had any success?

Yes you can, your mobile should have the OTG support.
I use only Apple music on my android mobile and i listen through Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back