Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 28, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #16,906 of 42,759
  Is there any possibility to connect the iPhone 4s or iPod Classic 5 Gen. to Mojo?

Absolutely. The 30-pin camera connector works with the iPhone 4 without issue; cannot confirm iPod.

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #16,907 of 42,759
Absolutely. The 30-pin camera connector works with the iPhone 4 without issue; cannot confirm iPod.

It doesn't work with the older wheel based iPods. It's an iPod OS issue.

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #16,912 of 42,759
Can someone tell me if i'm right, i heard there are ~125dm of volume in the mojo. I count 95 clicks until the lights lock on whitish purple and don't change anymore. That would mean each click is ~1.3db, which would mean I listen at about 17-20db(13-15 clicks) with my ADEL A12's. Is that correct?

Completing my previous post and after a few search:

ADEL A12's has an efficiency of 117dB SPL / 1mW  &  16 Ohms
Therfore for a safe listening 85 dBSPL at worst case ( Full DAP/foobar/etc volume & Track at 0dBFS (Max sound level))

85dBSPL with A12's means: -32dBm vs 117dBSPL translating to  0.63mW / 6.28 mA rms / 0.1Vrms
Mojo at Line Out voltage is 3.1Vrms  ( translating to 600mW / 192 mA rms /  27.8 +117 =145 dBSPL into A12's 16Ohm)

From that theoritical 145dBSPL( Mojo Line Level is double purple ) you have to attenuate roughly 60dB or 60clicks down in order to obtain your A12's 85dBSPL.

PLEASE DO SO WITHOUT CONNECTING YOUR IEM/CIEM OR YOUR HEADPHONES + EARS WILL BE DESTROYED!

As a comparison, with my Mrspeakers ETHER C I use the following levels ( Double Red ):

ETHER C's    92dB SPL / 1 mw  & 22 Ohms
85dB SPL with Ether C's means: -7dBm vs 92 dB SPL translating to 0.2mW / 3mA rms / 66mV rms
Mojo at Line Out Voltage is 3.1 Vrms ( translating to 431mW / 141mA rms  / 26.3 + 92 = 118.3 dB SPL into ETHER C's 22 Ohms)

From that 118.3db SPL you have to attenuate roughly 34dB or 34clicks down in order to obtain your ETHER C's 85dBSPL.

I will appreciate some feedback regarding volumes setting from ETHER C's/Mojo owners. Bavinck, Relic and others at which level are you listenning,pls ?
In my theoretical approach , I took the worst case;i.e. O DBFS at full digital volume.
In average listening conditions, probably an average 85dB SPL will be reached with 5/6 dB attenuation less (29 clicks down vs Line out isntead of 32 clicks ).

N.B. Since I only know the level at Line Out without colours mistakes I didf my approach from Line Out 3.1Vrms. But it is not practical/safe for IEM users.
By chance if Chord will be kind enough to provide let's say the output rms voltage at minimum gain it will be safer/easier to set the volume from min value.

Regards

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #16,913 of 42,759
Arpiben the volume required to reach a certain dB level will rely heavily on the mastered volume level of the track. Most modern pop songs may need around 10 clicks less than a well recorded older track mastered at a lower level. Chord can't give a guideline as there are entirely too many variables to weed through for every track and every headphone for every user.

For me, I listen to the ETHER C (22 Om, 92 dB) at 35 clicks from zero on average and I've measured (with a spl meter app from my smartphone - which certainly isn't the most accurate) an average reading of anywhere around 75-80 dB (with peaks from 85-90) with most of my tracks. Some tracks I go up about 5 clicks and some I go down about five clicks, based solely on my listening comfort level.

The JH Angie (17 Ohm impedance, 117 dB) I listen at around 15 clicks from zero which gives me an average level roughly around 80 dB on most tracks. Again, depending on the track's volume I'll adjust the level up or down a couple clicks.

I want to re-iterate that this is with my headphones/IEMs and my ears and comfort level, yours will likely vary. If you are concerned then you should get a spl meter (an actual spl meter, or at least smartphone app) to measure what your output is through the headphones/IEMs. The smartphone app may not be super accurate but it should get you in the ballpark. Just make sure to place the mic right at the IEM nozzle or in a sealed ear cup for the best measurement.

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #16,914 of 42,759
Arpiben the volume required to reach a certain dB level will rely heavily on the mastered volume level of the track. Most modern pop songs may need around 10 clicks less than a well recorded older track mastered at a lower level. Chord can't give a guideline as there are entirely too many variables to weed through for every track and every headphone for every user.

For me, I listen to the ETHER C (22 Om, 92 dB) at 35 clicks from zero on average and I've measured (with a spl meter app from my smartphone - which certainly isn't the most accurate) an average reading of anywhere around 75-80 dB (with peaks from 85-90) with most of my tracks. Some tracks I go up about 5 clicks and some I go down about five clicks, based solely on my listening comfort level.

The JH Angie (17 Ohm impedance, 117 dB) I listen at around 15 clicks from zero which gives me an average level roughly around 80 dB on most tracks. Again, depending on the track's volume I'll adjust the level up or down a couple clicks.

I want to re-iterate that this is with my headphones/IEMs and my ears and comfort level, yours will likely vary. If you are concerned then you should get a spl meter (an actual spl meter, or at least smartphone app) to measure what your output is through the headphones/IEMs. The smartphone app may not be super accurate but it should get you in the ballpark. Just make sure to place the mic right at the IEM nozzle or in a sealed ear cup for the best measurement.
How would you put that in your pants pocket?

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #16,915 of 42,759
How would you put that in your pants pocket?

I don't. Good for around the house when I'm not tied to my desk (I work from home). :wink_face:

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #16,916 of 42,759
I don't. Good for around the house when I'm not tied to my desk (I work from home). :wink_face:
haha, I put an angled connector so I can slide it inside my pocket. Top of phone down.

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #16,917 of 42,759
haha, I put an angled connector so I can slide it inside my pocket. Top of phone down.

Come to think of it I rarely bring any gear with me when I leave the house, even though I have a few portable devices. :rolleyes:

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #16,918 of 42,759
@Arpiben the volume required to reach a certain dB level will rely heavily on the mastered volume level of the track. Most modern pop songs may need around 10 clicks less than a well recorded older track mastered at a lower level. Chord can't give a guideline as there are entirely too many variables to weed through for every track and every headphone for every user.

@x RELIC x
Thanks a lot for your input. I fully agree with your comments regarding volume differences related to track master and one's own level perception.
I merely was interested in knowing if the maths/theoritical approach was close to reality.
By sharing your values it seems it is.
For sure, the calculated value may vary from around10dB (or more) depending on volume's perception or track mastering.  

I was not seeking Chord's guideline but rather the minimum volume setting corespondance in Vrms at 1Khz sine.
If not available for any reason, I will measure it for my own curiosity, as soon as I will have time.

That said, I am really enjoying the combo Mojo/ETHER C's even if the burn process is not yet achieved (50hrs vs 200hrs)

Furthermore, I do appreciate the quality of this long thread both for headfiers' experiences sharing as well as Chord informative posts.
Thks for this. Rgds

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #16,920 of 42,759
I wonder what Rob and John will think of this?
http://www.headfonia.com/review-balancing-mojo-mst-audios-mojo-kai/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back