Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 28, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #16,892 of 42,765

I like the look of the case, but it's not for me. Yes the Mojo was designed as a portable solution but for me it would just add bulk to gain little from a standard iPhone or iPod when on the go - there's too much ambient noise when commuting to really benefit from the Mojo.

My Mojo is firmly on my desk - well actually on my audio interface, which is on my desk, and I bought it solely to drive those headphones that I have better than my audio interface. In respect of that it's done it's job admirably. So for me the Mojo is not a portable solution.

I really don't get why anybody would need a Mojo for portable use as I feel that most current DAPs and Phones are good enough with good portable HPs or IEMs without the need for external DACs and Amps.

Here is how I use my Mojo when I go outside. It doesn't add too much heft. Sure when you're outside there may be a lot of ambient noise but when your on a bus or car ride the noise is a lot less and I could take advantage of all the details Mojo is presenting.

Where did you buy that band?

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #16,894 of 42,765
I have done some measurements of the small signal -90.31 dB performance for Mojo using 48 kHz ADC on my APX555. I get:

This is the 16 bit -90.31 dB signal for left and right. Notice how close the left and right signals are - the ringing you see is exactly what one expects for this test.

And this is the result for 24 bit dithered again with the 48 kHz ADC. Notice again left and right are very similar, and there is absolutely no visible distortion - just some very minor noise from Mojo's -125 dB dynamic range. Crucially, as the signal crosses through zero there are no glitches at all.

Rob

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #16,895 of 42,765
  I have done some measurements of the small signal -90.31 dB performance for Mojo using 48 kHz ADC on my APX555. I get:

This is the 16 bit -90.31 dB signal for left and right. Notice how close the left and right signals are - the ringing you see is exactly what one expects for this test.

And this is the result for 24 bit dithered again with the 48 kHz ADC. Notice again left and right are very similar, and there is absolutely no visible distortion - just some very minor noise from Mojo's -125 dB dynamic range. Crucially, as the signal crosses through zero there are no glitches at all.

Rob

Oh almighty geez, look at that 24-bit dithered! Way, way more refined than undithered graph.

EDIT: Rob, could you provide Hugo (and maybe TT too) & Dave for comparison sake? 
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #16,896 of 42,765
I don't have Hugo to hand - but here is Dave:

16 bit un-dithered - almost identical for left to right

and 24 bit, again almost identical.

These tests are not going to tell you the difference in sound quality from Mojo to Dave but they show that Dave is quieter.

Rob

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #16,897 of 42,765
  I don't have Hugo to hand - but here is Dave:

16 bit un-dithered - almost identical for left to right

and 24 bit, again almost identical.

These tests are not going to tell you the difference in sound quality from Mojo to Dave but they show that Dave is quieter.

Rob

Into the laundry go my drawers.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #16,898 of 42,765
Apr 28, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #16,900 of 42,765
  From the sound of things and from your description the cable could be the issue if you are not getting above 96khz
If you experience sync/connection issues It could also be the AK100. 
I am on my 2nd AK100, The first one I bought from a buyer in the UK and returned within a week, the 2nd one I got as an import from Japan, which I have had since the start of the year. It worked flawlessly until quite recently. Changed cables still the same problem then decided to try and rule out the Mojo as the cause, this I did by connecting to my CD player via optical out, no problems.

I have Sys concept, Moon audio and about 5 other cables, only issues I experience is when using my AK100mkii

Also tried to rule out Mojo as the source of the problem - worked great with any other DAP
Tried to rule out AK120ii as the source - worked great with any other DAC

Only AK and Mojo produce this problem together.

hey waynewoondirts, i am experiencing the same exact issue with my AK380 copper paired with my chord hugo. when i try to play 24/192 hdtracks.com album the music simply clips throughout the entire playback of the song being played. the optical cable that i am using is from moon-audio silver dragon toslink form fit cable to connect ak380 copper to my chord hugo. when i play the hdtrack.com 24/192 album through the ak380 copper as a standalone unit it plays all 24/192 albums fine with no clipping issues, but when paired as a combo with chord hugo, that's when the clippings begin. should i order the sysconcept toslink form fit cable and see if i get the same results? i think if i do get the same result it has to be the chord hugo is not processing the 24/192 that is being feed to it. will possibly have to get it checked out by chord hugo through my dealer. 

it's weird, I can not think of anything why it behaves like this.
tried five different cables, three different DACs and DAPs... ONLY AK120ii and Mojo make problems together, but are fine without each other.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #16,901 of 42,765

Also tried to rule out Mojo as the source of the problem - worked great with any other DAP
Tried to rule out AK120ii as the source - worked great with any other DAC

Only AK and Mojo produce this problem together.

it's weird, I can not think of anything why it behaves like this.
tried five different cables, three different DACs and DAPs... ONLY AK120ii and Mojo make problems together, but are fine without each other.

Maybe A&K have a grudge against $599 competitors pulling the wheels of their $3000+ gravy train?
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #16,902 of 42,765
I'd suggest trying to eliminate either the Hugo or the AK380 as being the culprit before worrying about replacements.  That'll mean testing them independently with another source (for the Hugo) or another DAC (for the AK380).
It might be that you just haven't pushed hard enough the lock the optical connector fully home.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #16,904 of 42,765
According to information gathered in post #3 as well as others we should have:

Range: -70dB to +18 dB 88 dB Gain
1 click = 1dB
2 clicks = 1 colour change

Colour ranges modes:
-70dB - -34dB range: 36 clicks
-34dB - + 2dB range: 36 clicks
+ 2dB - +18dB range: 16 clicks

This is refering to Mojo s gain, therefore in order to estimate your headphone level you will need additional information such as efficiency and mojo s signal entry level.
Hope it helps.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back